Thread: 4 New Koi attacking original koi

Stevectx
    has not specified a status.

4 New Koi attacking original koi

We had 10 small (6") and 1 medium (11") koi in our 3 month old pond and just purchased 3 new large (13") koi. It's been 3 days now and the the new large koi are attacking the one original medium size koi. That one medium size koi does not appear sick but has always been a bit "lazy" in that it didn't aggressively go after floating fish food and it didn't much hang out with the smaller fish in the 4000 gallon pond. When the new larger fish were put in the pond it started being more social and active. but how its being relentlessly chased, attached, picked on, it appears they are trying to chew on her side near the gills for example.

And it appears now the other original smaller fish are beating up our victim too. I don't know it's sex but they seem to small to spawn and would the little ones be going after an older one for spawning purposes anyways? Could my victim fish be sick? Is this normal and they are trying to establish some sort of dominance or are they trying to kill off some competition?

Sure could use some emergency help here for fear of loosing a beautiful kohaku.

Steve

cindy
    scrape and scope better than dump and hope
    Moderator ~ WWKC Vice President ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
    Pull the fish and put her in a container with pond water and air. Sounds like spawning
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

cindy
    Koi don't usually "bully" other fish. If a female is eggy, she will continuously chase and bump her into the sides until she is empty, sometimes hurting or killing her.
    My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

cindy

K.O.I.

Stevectx
    That's probably what it is, spawning. Now my wife is excited about babies (ugh)
    How long will this go on...1/2 a day or a week?
    If I separate her how long should she stay isolated?

Stevectx
    That's what it is.

KoiValley
    is not dating anyone
    WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3 -
    Koi Health Care Committee Chairman
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevectx View Post
    That's what it is.
    Start the Barry White music and light up a cigar. Hopefully it will end soon! It should not last more than a day or two-or so I hope!

Karl
    Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

mplskoi
    is still learning
    If I may interject here, keep a close eye on your filters right now. The spawn may leave quite a mess and you may need to back wash, flush, or otherwise clean whatever it is that you are filtering with. I got about an ice cream pail out of my fish last summer.

Stevectx
    Ha! �� Very funny. It's over now and she's a little bit beat up (I fee see a few loose scales around) but I think she'll be all right. Thanks for your help.

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    Check the water. The milt is pure protein and will kick up the ammonia, and the fish will try to eat all of the eggs, and that high protein meal will kick up the ammonia. Your filters may be strong enough to handle the ammonia quickly, but you are likely to find high nitrites hanging around for a few days. Until both are zero, do not feed.
    Member MAKC

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

DBibbins
    My Koi are the pets that dont shed!
    Rich, I have a question if you don't mind me asking.
    If after a spawning you do see Nitrites rise for a couple/few days, is it necessary to add salt or is that a short enough period that salt isn't needed. Is the use of pond prime (detoxifies both ammonia and nitrite) enough to keep things in check for a couple days after a spawn.

Deb
    Happiness is adopting a mutt and my pond is FULL of Happiness....
    Deb

My pond
    https://youtu.be/PR3Q2MInsQg

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    I have such established filtration that I have never detected the ammonia spike, but have seen the nitrites go off the chart from spawning. Back then I didn't know about salt, so just waited it out, but the use of Prime would be highly beneficial. I think my nitrite spikes lasted about 1 week after the spawn. If you are marginal on bio, then it could take longer for the additional bacteria to populate to consume all of that additional food.
    Member MAKC

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

DBibbins
    My Koi are the pets that dont shed!
    Perfect, Thank you Rich
    Happiness is adopting a mutt and my pond is FULL of Happiness....
    Deb

My pond
    https://youtu.be/PR3Q2MInsQg

Stevectx

Exclamation Wounded fish post-spawn

NOW I have another emergency! I just saw this evening that the spawned fish is pretty beat up with significant sores on her right side at least 2 inches long. I'm guessing a salt bath would be in order but I'm very new to this koi obsession so not sure what a salt bath comprises. Or is she needing something other that R&R in a salt bath? She seems to be acting fine but i'm sure she's at a minimum uncomfortable. Please help.

Thanks for all your help with ID'ing the aggression thing and what to watch out for after a spawn, BTW.

Steve

cindy
    Any chance of pictures? If she has open gashes, she needs to be pulled and treated while she heals. If a few scales came off and bruising, she just needs perfect water quality to heal.

K.O.I.

Stevectx
    thank you for the comments. We did a 25% water change this evening. here a couple of the best pics I could get without taking her out of the pond. Not great pictures but there doesn't seem to be infection setting in. Name:  55 sore 1.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  38.4 KBName:  55 sore 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  30.9 KB

ademink
    hates anything ending in "i"
    Keep your water quality pristine and keep an eye on it. During spawning, I have a lot that end up with scales ripped off, etc. With good water quality, most of them heal on their own.
    Andrea

Stevectx
    We did a water 25% water change. Amonia and nitrate are very low. I have a bog filter but its only 3 months old and a canister bio filter. Adding a mechanical filter to further polish the water today. She's pink on her sores but she's acting normal so not too worried at this point. Thank you for the post.