Thread: What's the best netting to use for spawning koi?

HiddenLeaf03
    says GO DUCKS!

What's the best netting to use for spawning koi?

Hello All,

Last year we introduced our koi to our pond that we rebuilt and surprisingly they spawned a bunch of eggs. As of right now I have like 30 baby koi and they are rapidly growing. Spring has just arrived for 2017 and we are planning to purchase an ace knottless 1/2" Seine net to help catch them and cull out the ones we don't want.

I am also trying to purchase a holding box for the koi to mate in this season in hopes to protect the fry but Memphisnet does not carry any type of spawning holding boxes for sale. Mostly 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" size netting is sold. I have also seen posts about people using the fiberglass screen door netting from Lowe's or home depot but not sure if it will work. I want to construct something that will allow my koi to have a large space to mate. Some of these commercial made spawn nettings are too small for my koi. My pond is around 6000 gallons and is 4 ft deep. All ideas welcome! Thanks everybody!

delbert
    Keeps it flowing.
    If they spawn on brushes you can remove the eggs and hatch them in a separate tank

nota
    status. WET
    I use ordinary cotton mops in the pond

then put the mops in a igloo cooler to hatch
    1/2 change the water about twice a day

then dip out the fry with a ladle
    and move to a tank to grow

Matt24
    is out back feeding the fish.
    For catching one year old small koi (or any koi for that matter), rather than use a seine, I put on head-lamp and catch them at night with a regular pole net. They can't see it coming. Just move the net slowly so they have trouble feeling it coming toward them.

As for the breeding and raising fry, I do it differently than most. I set up a small pond that I run year round for that. It keeps the filter functioning and algae etc on the sides for extra food. Mine is 1800 gallons, but 500 might serve the purpose. I typically move the chosen adults in there in the spring. After spawning, I removed them. The eggs stay there and so do the fry for the first year.