• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody have a list of koi pond must haves and must do's for a newbie

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by foothill999 View Post
      Yes no rocks on bottom. It's just a matter of finding the right contractor that knows what they are doing and that is willing to do it right. You are correct in that alot of people in my area are not koi pond experts and seen to be wanting to build a more traditional basic water garden type of structure. I have started calling builders in the surrounding bigger towns and seems I may be getting closer to finding someone who knows what they are doing.

Koiman1950 builds ponds http://www.pond-life.net/

Russell Peters also builds ponds http://pskoi.com/

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

As does Vince (vincesamara) http://www.creativezen-inc.com/
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You still haven't said how much you're willing to pay for electricity every month to run the pond - that dictates a lot.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      You still haven't said how much you're willing to pay for electricity every month to run the pond - that dictates a lot.
      I think the space available is going to dictate the build much more than the cost of electricity.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree to an extent, though water flow will dictate whether a traditional bio section is in order or a shower setup. For the small space, a shower could work very well but requires very high water flow.
      Author of Midlana, Build this High Performance Mid-engine Sports Car. http://midlana.com/stuff/book

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Bugger poverty and give the cat another goldfish.

GO GUNITE.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how about take the side walk out from the arch to the porch, build a pond that takes up both sides of the side walk then build a bridge over where the side walk was then put a little W.I fence across the front with a gate.

foothill999 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Well my current electric pge bill averages $1,000 per month. Hoping it doesn't go too much more but electricity is not really a concern. We are use to high cost as it is. That being said I would rather spend more upfront to get energy efficient equipment now to help save money in the long run.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Smile Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      how about take the side walk out from the arch to the porch, build a pond that takes up both sides of the side walk then build a bridge over where the side walk was then put a little W.I fence across the front with a gate.
      That is my plan it's like you read my mind. We already have someone making us custom wrought iorn posted coated gates for the front arches they will be in within a few weeks. Taking the side walk and doing a bridge to give us more space is what I really want to do and what I picture in my mind when I plan it all out.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Something I didn't consider is how close to house I will be digging. We are on a raised foundation and planned on starting to dig about 2 feet from house.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

lerchcon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First off welcome to Koiphen.

my first suggestion would be HAVE A PLAN FIRST. Don't proceed until you have a plan, and I would suggest the go ahead from some of these Veterans to Ponding. I tell all that "those who fail to plan, usually plan to fail."

This is a small community of many walks of life, if you are willing to spend this much on a pond, I would hope patience is your first priority. Don't be in a hurry to rush to a Contractors as most can promise the world, and then when they start building generally you can see it's not being done right to have as a pond. That's where the people here will give you all the advice you need and help you throughout this entire process, providing you play along. Lol

Post lots of pictures, sometimes the experts here notice fine details that will save you a few bucks now, potentially hundreds or even thousands later.

Don't be in a hurry to start this

since it will be so close to your house, and in the FRONT yard, make sure PERMITS are pulled. Some contractors will offer a discount if you don't ask for a permit. But with this in front and so near to the house I feel I wouldn't let it get done with them. Will CA give you crap because you are in a drought area if they see a pond in front? I am not sure I live in Vegas and wouldn't ever put one in my yard simply because I don't want the liability or problems with depth and common areas. Although you mentioned iron and if you have a gate in the arches and it can't be accessed that's a good thing.

As aforementioned there are builders of wonderful Koi Pomds here, as well as Salesman of pond equipment.

Please consider looking here for Contractors and or pond equipment if possible as the people here will always lend free advice and a helping hand in your design with its entirety out of love, but to support themselves they sell equipment, and koi.

There are several builders in California HERE that would probably be willing to come to you and are specialized in Koi Ponds so please see them before any other contractors. Some have their phone numbers or company name in their signature.

Ask someone for help with the design and have plans drawn up before you go any further as it will help you see design flaws and be able to prevent things from going wrong with the design. More pictures ar a plus and also have you considered at all any other locations? If not take more pictures of this area and CALL BEFORE YOU DIG. Lol

But if you search this forum you can read horror stories of people hiring pool contractors to build a pond. Please don't do that. After all you wouldn't hire a baker to build you a car.

Again Welcome, and Happy Ponding.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for all the good informtaion. We have first started with the basics of clearing all the bushes so we can get a better visual of a layout and to see where to cut the concrete walkway. I did a very rough lay out with a hose just to give myself an idea. Our plan is to put the pump and filter in the front left corner area (closest to the arches) and the waterfall in the far left corner of the house, and the skimmer in the right hand corner (closest to the arches) and try to center the bottom drain. I have no idea how much area I will need for each, so still have a ton of planning to do. Do I buy my equipment now or wait until its dug out so I make sure I get the right size? I laid it out and trying to leave a min of 2ft from house all the way around 9X9 area for waterfall and the pump and filter area 5X7 but I have a feeling I need more space than that?
      Name:  2017-03-27 16.23.38.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  164.1 KB
      Name:  2017-03-27 16.24.13.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  236.7 KB
      Name:  2017-03-27 16.26.26.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  301.6 KB

lerchcon is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would hold off on equipment for now if it were mine. Giving how much you are planning to spend I promise the patience now will save you money later. The people here will be here shortly to help you through this. But the pictures sure do help a bunch. What are the Somme spins of this area? You can take this photo and put it into "paint" and add lines in each area and type measurements.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is my quick stretch. The wall where I would like to put the pump is 5ft wide before it would show at the arch opening it can be as long as needed heading towards waterfall I would just have to move pond dig further from house. The skimmer I am hoping I can start pretty close to the corner of house, how much space would I need around the skimmer? Waterfall area is 12ft x 8ft but since I want to leave 2ft to get behind it that would leave about 6x8 overall not sure if that's enough to space.
      Could I dig the first shelf at 12x14 inches and then drop straight down to 4ft if I have hard ground? I would like to put medium stone on shelf and top coping area to hide liner and then just drop down. Or if I do that would I need to a concrete beam as the shelf to support the stone in order to do that?
      Attached Images Attached Images  

HoschtonSawyer is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would seriously re-think this location. I'm not a pond expert, and I know there are many here who know more than I do. My pond is 2500g, is not 4' deep, and does very well. My fish are pets. What I don't like about this location is that I don't see where you will be able to sit and enjoy this laborious and expensive undertaking once it is complete. My pond took me 4 years to build, doing all the work myself and building my own filters, etc. and the best part of it is stepping out onto my back deck and being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor. This appears to be at your front door, (please disregard this post if this is not the case,) and something people will see when they come to your house, but not necessarily a place that you might spend an afternoon just enjoying your pond. I built a pond at my last house and it was some distance from the house. Not only did we not go that far to enjoy it, we didn't keep an eye on it as well as we should have and it suffered for it. Free advice, always worth the price.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by HoschtonSawyer View Post
      ...This appears to be at your front door and something people will see when they come to your house, but not necessarily a place that you might spend an afternoon just enjoying your pond...
      Sure it is, sitting out in your rocking chair, watching life go by, shotgun across your lap, haven't you seen the movie "Second Hand Lions"?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would seriously re-think this location. I'm not a pond expert, and I know there are many here who know more than I do. My pond is 2500g, is not 4' deep, and does very well. My fish are pets. What I don't like about this location is that I don't see where you will be able to sit and enjoy this laborious and expensive undertaking once it is complete. My pond took me 4 years to build, doing all the work myself and building my own filters, etc. and the best part of it is stepping out onto my back deck and being able to enjoy the fruits of my labor. This appears to be at your front door, (please disregard this post if this is not the case,) and something people will see when they come to your house, but not necessarily a place that you might spend an afternoon just enjoying your pond. I built a pond at my last house and it was some distance from the house. Not only did we not go that far to enjoy it, we didn't keep an eye on it as well as we should have and it suffered for it. Free advice, always worth the price.
      Yes you are correct it is near my front door. I either do it here or don't do it at all. My back yard has a pool on the side and straight out my back doors is pretty narrow and it's also where my septic leach lines are. I am trying to design the bridge wide and as flat as possible as well as leaving a walking area all around the pond wide enough to to set a small bench ect... and planning on trying to incorporate as many flat stones around the edging where we could sit. Not shown in pics very well but we also have a small balcony spanning this entire area on the second story. I know it's not ideal and was considering trying to make a small wood viewing deck just big enough for maybe a bistro table and 2 chairs. Possible location here.Name:  20170328_111751.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  89.1 KB

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Try and not to get too discouraged with suggestions too... we've all been where you're at! I remember presenting my elaborate
      first pond design only to have it shredded. There's a lot to learn and consider so don't feel alone.

So with that said , here's my first thoughts. The shelf is often called a "sushi bar" as any critters in the neighborhood will use it to
      snack on your koi. Straight sides to the bottom are often the best deterrent for critters getting in the pond.
      At 14' long, one BD might not be enough. And I think the filtration equipment you show listed might not be adequate and consequently you
      may need more room there. For a 3k pond I'd have my first filter be an Ultra III sieve and 2 - 4" BD's feeding it. Some sort of bio filter
      (shower, moving or fluid bed, etc) and returning via underwater returns. The skimmer I'd plumb to another pump, then going to UV and
      then a fines filter like a sand and gravel filter feeding the waterfall.

Here's some more of the basics:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tration-Basics

Take it slowly and read as much as you can and you'll end up with a pond you'll enjoy for years and years.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

HoschtonSawyer is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by foothill999 View Post
      Yes you are correct it is near my front door. I either do it here or don't do it at all. My back yard has a pool on the side and straight out my back doors is pretty narrow and it's also where my septic leach lines are. I am trying to design the bridge wide and as flat as possible as well as leaving a walking area all around the pond wide enough to to set a small bench ect... and planning on trying to incorporate as many flat stones around the edging where we could sit. Not shown in pics very well but we also have a small balcony spanning this entire area on the second story. I know it's not ideal and was considering trying to make a small wood viewing deck just big enough for maybe a bistro table and 2 chairs. Possible location here.Name:  20170328_111751.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  89.1 KB
      I was typing my post while your drawing was being posted. The space is larger than it appeared in the pictures. You might consider decking the entire area that is not pond, save a few areas for landscaping, and put a filter pit in with a trap door in the deck for access. Good Luck!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was typing my post while your drawing was being posted. The space is larger than it appeared in the pictures. You might consider decking the entire area that is not pond, save a few areas for landscaping, and put a filter pit in with a trap door in the deck for access. Good Luck!
      great idea! I am going to look into that. Thank you

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12