• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A great loss

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know protocol here is to let the koi health care committee provide the most important feedback, but two things-
      I would not add vinegar to bring down Ph. Unless some true expert tells you otherwise. If your source water is 7.5 then water changes should take care of your Ph level.
      And second, something seems weird about your reported Ammonia levels. (In order) you have seen and reported ammonia at 1.0, zero, and .5. Ammonia shouldn't be swinging like this. Has anyone else been concerned by this?
      With that I am going to be quiet for a while because if those numbers are accurate it seems like there may be another issue that I am unaware of what it would be. And it would be the health care committee that needs to be heeded on whatever advice they give.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Never attempt to bring the pH down by adding an acid. If you have a decent KH, the pH drop will be temporary, and jump back to what it was, and with each addition, some of the KH will be consumed until it is all gone, and then the pH will crash. By the numbers reported, the pH was high, then not so high, and then high again. This could be by the inability to discern the true pH from the drop type test which I also suffer from, Just too much room for error on the readings. It could also be from a lack of KH, which when low or zero allows for the pH to change radically and fast. These pH swings, if that is what is going on, will inhibit the ability of the good bacteria to do their job, multiply and take care of the ammonia and nitrite. Once the KH is over 100ppm, if accomplished with baking soda, the pH should be very consistent at about 8.3. If it goes up near 9, after we have good KH, then we can bring down the pH with the addition of calcium chloride, which is used as swimming pool hardness increaser, but we don't need to think about that yet. Get the KH reading, and let us know what you have and we can go from there.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

DAH is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Good evening-

This evenings readings were very similar to today's morning readings. As I sat contemplating what the problem could be it dawned on me.....I had spilt ALOT of blue dye in the pond last year. The color of the water is now a faint blue. The PH reading card has blue for the 9.0 readings; could the dye be throwing the color off?

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I don't think the blue dye would show in the test kit. Is the water in the sample container, cup, jar, etc, look blue, or just the pond?
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123