• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Momotaro Sanke

snowdogs is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Momotaro Sanke

First Picture is from October 2015. Second was May 2016 and the last three are now. It's been almost three months since it ate, the beni has improved a lot over winter as it was really stretched last fall. As you can see the issue with the pec has been there from our beginning,what do you think?
      Name:  SSC_0379_375Koi.JPG
Views: 468
Size:  147.5 KB
      Name:  DSC_1517.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  58.3 KB
      Name:  DSC_6083.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  91.4 KB
      Name:  DSC_6087.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  54.2 KB
      Name:  DSC_6084.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  102.2 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The best thing about the sanke is the body. It has the potential to grow large although it might take a while in your climate. The skin is OK. Nothing to write home about but it is very white. The biggest concern would be the beni. I am a little surprised that the beni has held on as well as it has. Looks like you are doing a good job raising the fish.

The p-fin healed well. I wouldn't do anything extra to it. The leading ray will take a long time to grow back, if ever.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the input. I have not had a koi grow as large as fast as this has for me and I can't wait to see what happens this year.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Does the picture distort the face or is it long in person? Particularly the space btwn the nostrils and mouth.
      Abuchi nailed it I think. It'll be a great learning fish
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by snowdogs View Post
      Thanks for the input. I have not had a koi grow as large as fast as this has for me and I can't wait to see what happens this year.
      Thanks for sharing. We are all learning when people post progression pictures.

If I were picking tosai, this is a koi that I would likely avoid because of the look of the beni. The beni shape suggests the beni was in the process of disappearing. That could have been what was going on but you and your pond seem to have stopped the process or slowed it down to a point that the loss of beni was insignificant after one growing season. Do you have soft or hard water? What is the water temperature range during your growing season?

Again, good job raising the fish. I have found that Momotaro fish are rewarding to keep due to their genetic tendency to grow large while maintaining their youthful look.
      Last edited by abuchi123; 02-27-2017 at 11:52 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      Does the picture distort the face or is it long in person? Particularly the space btwn the nostrils and mouth.
      Abuchi nailed it I think. It'll be a great learning fish
      That is the way it looks. I always have the impression when it swims up of a prehistoric eating machine without all of the teeth. I need it to grow into it's head.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      Thanks for sharing. We are all learning when people post progression pictures.

If I were picking tosai, this is a koi that I would likely avoid because of the look of the beni. The beni shape suggests the beni was in the process of disappearing. That could have been what was going on but you and your pond seem to have stopped the process or slowed it down to a point that the loss of beni was insignificant after one growing season. Do you have soft or hard water? What is the water temperature range during your growing season?

Again, good job raising the fish. I have found that Momotaro fish are rewarding to keep due to their genetic tendency to grow large while maintaining their youthful look.
      I have soft water, ph stays around 7.2 now and summer closer to 7.5 and if I ignore it for a week or more which happens this time of year the gh and kh are found near the 40 mark. I get about three months of water temps in the high 60's to mid 70's and I feed all they can handle during that time.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by snowdogs View Post
      I have soft water, ph stays around 7.2 now and summer closer to 7.5 and if I ignore it for a week or more which happens this time of year the gh and kh are found near the 40 mark. I get about three months of water temps in the high 60's to mid 70's and I feed all they can handle during that time.
      I do wonder if your soft water is doing good things to the beni of this fish. We have hard water in our area. I did run into a local hobbyist at the koi show whose fish had impressive looking soft beni. It turned out he uses R/O water.

Sounds like you have develpoed a good feeding routine.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007