• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: I'm having to reattach my lexan waterfall weir to the concrete block opening.

sworley is offline Senior Member
      is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'm having to reattach my lexan waterfall weir to the concrete block opening.

After many years of use it came loose and I don't know of a product, aside from possibly Gold Label Sealant, that will seal it back into place. Any other constructive suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks! Name:  4-9-15pond (2).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  57.0 KB
      Name:  10-2ledgeblock2.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  68.0 KB

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kntry is offline 2017 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm worried about having to do the same thing one day.

If you clean it really well, Gorilla Glue should work because it works best if you dampen the surface first. Or you can try PL roofing sealant.
      Sandy
      CKK, KHA

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by sworley View Post
      After many years of use it came loose and I don't know of a product, aside from possibly Gold Label Sealant, that will seal it back into place. Any other constructive suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!
      Sarah, great to see you posting!

No real help but I wonder what did you use the first time? Seemed to last a long time even though
      eventually failed...
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

jnegron is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Marine Epoxy should work, when I worked at an Reef aquarium store I built the displays using this epoxy. It glued PVC, Drain type square tubing and acrylic and it worked perfectly. It comes in a tube just like silicone. You have to work in an open area and everything should be clean and dry (I would guess it should work with damp conditions as well). I left at least a day before I worked with anything that I epoxied together. Hope this helps you.

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks, Steve! I honestly don't remember but think I used a lexan adhesive that I got with the lexan that I ordered for the weir. I know I need to use something like Gold Label or PL because the surface is irregular on the concrete as well as on the lexan (the adhesive really bonded to it like PVC glue does to PVC). I had used Gold Label before and decided to try it because it worked under wet and uneven conditions. If it doesn't work, I'll just resort to PL, I guess. I can use regular clear silicone to attach it where it rests on the brick braces for the waterfall because there won't be any direct water pressure there. Of course PL says not to be used in under water situations, but as Steve Joneli advised, I used it in many applications including my sand and gravel filters and it works great. I didn't know if anyone might have any ideas or know of a new product that might work better. Great to hear from you! I'll try to get by more often!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take away everything you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
      Maxine

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I ordered some Gold Label, but am also looking at the Loctite Marine Sealant which is a quick dry product and adheres as well as seals. I'm going to see how the Gold Label stuff works, first. I can't get the Marine sealant here in my town but can get it in a neighboring town or order it.

Maxine

bbmc88 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The lexan is like the GC of caulking . Doesn't get much better then that. I would try to clean as much out as possible and reapply .
      The stuff used properly is the strongest , most flexible , as clear as glass , but from the reps mouth.
      It's toxic for the first 7 days , which includes fish. So your in a tough spot if you can't wait that out
      The loctite marine sealant is not my fav , mostly boating applications and even there epoxy has had issues unless surface is totally dried and Stick with the lexan, and get your 7 years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koidaddy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Beautiful pond!
      Have You Hugged Your Koi Today?

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think bbmc88 was referencing GE Lexan Silicone Sealant - GE57 see https://www.doitbest.com/products/779324
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

bbmc88 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      I think bbmc88 was referencing GE Lexan Silicone Sealant - GE57 see https://www.doitbest.com/products/779324
      My apologies , it's lexel

http://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks, Rich! I read about the GE Lexan Silicone Sealant GE 57. The information said that the durability is only 1 year. I'm not sure I can get the durability I need with that. My son who has a boat repair business said that he has used 5200 for boat hulls and attaching lexan windshields with 5200 and said that the bond/seal is the best. I've used 5200 before, too, but hesitated to use it because I was afraid it wouldn't work on my Lexan spillway/weir because not everything will stick to it. I also have used the Gold Label stuff which is very expensive and know that it will provide a good seal under wet conditions but have been hesitant to use it because of the Lexan. The Gold Label is also black and the 5200 is white, which would actually be preferable. I also don't know what kind of "primer" I should use on the concrete that I am trying to stick the Lexan to, because the Gold Label says to use an "appropriate" primer. I just don't know what that would be! Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Maxine

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Also, I used a product called Lexel which sounded like it would be the answer, but the weir came off in my hands after over 24 hrs - NOT a good choice although that stuff was more expensive.

Maxine

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Have You considered 100% silicone aquarium sealant ? I've found that it sticks very well to both porous and non porous surfaces. It certainly sticks better than P&L .Try a little dab on both of Your surfaces to see if it stick well enough , and then if it does ........
      Another alternative ,would be to get some stainless steel concrete anchors, imbed them into the wall , and use stainless steel screws to mechanically hold the Weir into place, along with Just about any kind of sealant.
      You wouldn't need very large anchors to hold it into place .
      The top one here needs only a 3/8" hole drilled into the concrete.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#concrete-anchors/=16k14in

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  128.9 KB

BTW , P&L window and door sealant is identical to the roof and flashing sealant , except it's white instead of black

is Still loving my pond!

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Thanks, but I've tried 100% silicone and it doesn't hold. The anchor idea is a good one but I'd be afraid to try to drill into the lexan. It is 1/2" thick and is extremely hard and I'm afraid I'd crack it. Also, the surfact to which it is to be bonded is not completely smooth and is concrete, so I don't think that would work anyway. I want to make sure all the water goes over the weir, not underneath and around it.

Maxine

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

While your shopping at Mcmaster-Carr for Stainless anchors you can also get drill bits designed for drilling plastic https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-cu...-bits/=16k2nuz

They have almost everything.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007