• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: DIY RDF "2.0", The Beast

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The W. Lim 0.25 hp pump failed after approximately 72 hours. Fortunately I was near the filter when it happened because everything turned off - it had popped the breaker. As a test it was briefly plugged it back in and it was very unhappy, turning at about 3-revolutions per second (yes, really) and humming enough that it was clear it was taking a lot of power. Thankfully I have a W. Lim 1/6 hp as a backup and it's running fine.

Anyway, as this is the hottest part of the year, string algae has been an issue (the pond isn't yet covered). What was concerning was finding the course inlet screens in the moving-bed filter (that keep the media from flowing back into the RDF) were getting plugged up with algae. Turns out that when "someone" redid the RDF to be direct drive, the drum wasn't properly aligned with the inlet. The silicon rubber seal was having to deal with up to a 0.325" offset, and not very well because some algae was finding its way past the seal and effectively short-circuiting the RDF. Finally dealt with it today, making a tapered HPDE piece that realigns the ports.

Another change was adding 4" knife valves to the moving-bed filter (two 4" inlets and one 4" outlet). At the same time, the screens were move to the outlet ports on the RDF where they're much easier to see and monitor. Since fixing the seal, the screens are staying much cleaner, so fingers crossed.
      Last edited by kimini; 09-08-2017 at 08:33 PM.

kevin32 is online now Senior Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

I battled string algae on my main pond the first year. w lim pumps are not that great and i don't bit into his bs. a good Baldor pump is fine and William just sells you bs.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To be fair, William Lim himself called, we discussed it, and he's immediately shipping a replacement to me, then I'll ship mine back in that box. Can't be unhappy about that level of customer service!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Received another one of "those" phone calls, "the pond is overflowing." Told my wife to shut off the water supply to the yard and that I'd deal with it when I got home.

Turned the water to the yard back on and could hear water flowing through the valve - tip #1.
      Walked around the house toward the pond and could hear water spraying somewhere - tip #2. Given that the only place it runs to is the RDF spray bar and the manually-activated pond refill valve, it had to be one of those. Yup, the Orbit brand sprinkler valve used to gate water to the spray bar had split right down the center. Water was spraying all over the place inside the RDF (adding to the volume and slowly over-filling the pond) but ironically the cover designed to keep it quiet worked so well that my wife didn't hear it.

Trying a Hunter brand this time and hope it lasts more than a couple months... There's always the brass-bodied ones if this fails.
      Last edited by kimini; 09-09-2017 at 06:42 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The little weenie float switch stuck due to something, algae, snail, ants, water deposits, whatever. When the drum doesn't get cleaned, water on the output side and in the moving bed IBC get pumped back to the pond faster than they gravity-fill. That over-fills the pond an extra inch or so and presto, spillage over the side. The leakage isn't a problem, it self-corrects within a couple hours and I only lose maybe 2% pond volume. What is a problem is the unreliable switch, not surprising since its float is small and doesn't exert much downward pressure via gravity to force itself through whatever tries to jam it in the "up" position.

Some time back I bought a proper capacitive sensor-type unit but never got around to installing it - well, here's that time. It's a really sweet unit that gets mounted on the outside of the RDF, facing the 1/2" HPDE plastic wall. A calibrate procedure teaches it to ignore the wall material and thickness, then the water level is raised and it's taught that the new reading is "full." It worked immediately but I'm still keeping a close eye on it. The bad thing about mechanical float switches is that they can jam, but the good thing is that it's obvious what condition they're in. With a solid state unit, it's hard to know where the full/empty threshold is. Still, it's really nice having a sensor with no moving parts and isn't exposed to the measured liquid with can cause it to jam.

After the pictures were taken, it was covered to protect it from the sun and rain.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by kimini; 09-26-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Huysy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very neat. So high tech...love it. How has the RDF been performing overall? Any issues with the screen?

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

yeah pretty clever...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's been working fine, though when this screen is worn out I'm going to replace it with 100 micron. Why? Because 75psi water isn't enough to blow through 60 micron (and maybe smaller if there's bio buildup). I say this because the pond level slowly rises over time so some of the water is bouncing off the fine pitch screen instead of blowing through it and ends up in the output side. There's the long answer!
      Last edited by kimini; 09-27-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Huysy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I recently had to replace my 50 micron screen. It was starting to cycle more often probably due to biofilm. I attempted to clean it with a steam cleaner, but it really didn't help. My next step was to clean it with vinegar or muriatic acid, but the screen tore before I could clean it. I replaced it with a 75 micron screen, and it is working great again...I can now flow more through it That's a good observation about how much water bounces off the screen. My spray bar bounces water off the screen 3-4 feet if I don't have the cover on. I've never been concerned with how much water gets sprayed through the screen as long as it cleans the crud off of it. Plus, I have a drip system and an overflow so my pond stays at a constant level, so I would never have noticed it anyways. I love RDFs. They make it almost too easy to maintain good water.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Everything's been running fine, until recently when I saw the RDF housing leaking. Looking closer, well, nuts. Apparently I placed the Uniseal too close to the edge of the panel. I didn't think about the large outward force placed on the material and sure enough it popped through. I'm going to remove both pipes and Uniseals, cut oversized holes, then bolt on a stainless panel with slightly relocated holes.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

simple fix for you lol

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Added a "miracle bra that lifts and supports" the RDF ports. The annoying part was that the split kept leaking even after the collar was added, but slathering on an embarrassing amount of roofing adhesive finally stopped it.

In other news, the capacitive level sensor has been working flawlessly, though there was one self-caused hiccup, where I rested an unpowered wire over the top of the sensor (wondering if it would mess with the sensor). It did, but fortunately I was nearby when the next cleaning cycle didn't happen. Removed the wire and presto, back to working fine. Other than that, the RDF has been chugging along. It's interesting how as the weather cools off and the algae load drops off, it's gone from cycling about every 20 minutes to maybe once an hour, if that.

And finally, finished the roofing over the filtration system, so rain's no longer a threat. Next job is running power to a proper circuit breaker box, with outlets where they belong instead of running everything with extension cords strewn this way and that.
      Last edited by kimini; 1 Day Ago at 09:40 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Added a "miracle bra that lifts and supports" the RDF ports. The annoying part was that the split kept leaking even after the collar was added, but slathering on an embarrassing amount of roofing adhesive finally stopped it.

In other news, the capacitive level sensor has been working flawlessly, though there was one self-caused hiccup, where I rested an unpowered wire over the top of the sensor (wondering if it would mess with the sensor). It did, but fortunately I was nearby when the next cleaning cycle didn't happen. Removed the wire and presto, back to working fine. Other than that, the RDF has been chugging along. It's interesting how as the weather cools off and the algae load drops off, it's gone from cycling about every 20 minutes, to maybe once an hour, if that.

And finally, finished the roofing over the filtration system, so rain's not longer a threat. Next is running power to a proper circuit breaker box, with proper outlets where they belong, instead of running everything with extension cords strewn about.
      exactly what my rdf did. im cycling maybe once an hour or less now. water is perfect still

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213