Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: DIY RDF "2.0", The Beast

kimini
    has not specified a status.
    The W. Lim 0.25 hp pump failed after approximately 72 hours. Fortunately I was near the filter when it happened because everything turned off - it had popped the breaker. As a test it was briefly plugged it back in and it was very unhappy, turning at about 3-revolutions per second (yes, really) and humming enough that it was clear it was taking a lot of power. Thankfully I have a W. Lim 1/6 hp as a backup and it's running fine.

Anyway, as this is the hottest part of the year, string algae has been an issue (the pond isn't yet covered). What was concerning was finding the course inlet screens in the moving-bed filter (that keep the media from flowing back into the RDF) were getting plugged up with algae. Turns out that when "someone" redid the RDF to be direct drive, the drum wasn't properly aligned with the inlet. The silicon rubber seal was having to deal with up to a 0.325" offset, and not very well because some algae was finding its way past the seal and effectively short-circuiting the RDF. Finally dealt with it today, making a tapered HPDE piece that realigns the ports.

Another change was adding 4" knife valves to the moving-bed filter (two 4" inlets and one 4" outlet). At the same time, the screens were move to the outlet ports on the RDF where they're much easier to see and monitor. Since fixing the seal, the screens are staying much cleaner, so fingers crossed.
    Last edited by kimini; 1 Week Ago at 07:33 PM.
    Build a sports car from scratch! Check out midlana.com and kimini.com

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
    There are too many rules of thumb, in the Koi hobby, that are nonsense or don't apply.

kevin32
    is getting loco
    CKK in training
    I battled string algae on my main pond the first year. w lim pumps are not that great and i don't bit into his bs. a good Baldor pump is fine and William just sells you bs.

kimini
    To be fair, William Lim himself called, we discussed it, and he's immediately shipping a replacement to me, then I'll ship mine back in that box. Can't be unhappy about that level of customer service!

There are too many rules of thumb, in the Koi hobby, that are nonsense or don't apply.

kimini
    Received another one of "those" phone calls, "the pond is overflowing." Told my wife to shut off the water supply to the yard and that I'd deal with it when I got home.

Turned the water to the yard back on and could hear water flowing through the valve - tip #1.
    Walked around the house toward the pond and could hear water spraying somewhere - tip #2. Given that the only place it runs to is the RDF spray bar and the manually-activated pond refill valve, it had to be one of those. Yup, the Orbit brand sprinkler valve used to gate water to the spray bar had split right down the center. Water was spraying all over the place inside the RDF (adding to the volume and slowly over-filling the pond) but ironically the cover designed to keep it quiet worked so well that my wife didn't hear it.

Trying a Hunter brand this time and hope it lasts more than a couple months... There's always the brass-bodied ones if this fails.
    Last edited by kimini; 1 Week Ago at 05:42 PM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213