Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY RDF "2.0", The Beast

Huysy
    has not specified a status.
    I have done some experiments myself with Epdm foam rubber just like your design. I agree with Zac. Too much friction. In the end, I changed the design to a flat sheet of silicone rubber about 1 inch wide that rides on the inside lip of the drum. I have seen many of the professional units use this type of design. What I see is that if the strip is wide enough, the waste will glide over it and get stuck on the screen even if the seal is not perfect. Also, if you change your design, don't forget to seal those bolt holes...ask me how I know

Zoki51
    Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
    Yeah I wondered how EDPM would hold up to sliding friction. I thought (hoped?) that the combination of water as a lubricant and the seal being lightly-loaded would let it live. I'll investigate using foamed LDPE as a gasket.

About welding the support ribs, they're a press-fit into the rib supports - I had to use a mallet to seat them then tacked them in position. Additionally, the screen also keeps them in place so they're captive with no need for welding.

I figure the design went wrong long ago, as Zoki51 has been very quiet, no doubt being polite instead of listing out all my design flaws!
    Hi, Kurt!
    I have been here from the beginning watching intently and you are doing a good job. Everyone has their own preferences in designing things and it is not my place to criticize anyone. Main thing is that youíre going to get it working in the end, how you get there is not important. Keep up the good work! Iíll be watching from the bleachers and cheer from time to time.
    Zoran

There is no delight in owning anything unshared
    "We believe .....that the person who says that "nothing comes for free"
    knows absolutely nothing about the power and strength of human kindness"

< My album

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    Kurt I did not mean anything negative about the gasket. just seems it is for a snug top and I stated my experience. but nice build and great skills you have. rock on

kimini
    Change of plans on the gasket, it's coming off and will be replaced with something a lot more like what Zoki51 used and what's working fine on my current unit. I was already planning to have a box sticking out the end to handle the inlet pipes so it's easy enough to add a circular hole that matches the drum inlet and adding the gasket there.

Anyhow, the gear was added to the end of the drum and the hinge welded to the screen. The push to get the drum done is to determine the final width and diameter requirements so the outer assembly can be sized. I found out the hard way how heavy a sheet of 0.50"-thick HDPE is so the plan is to come up with the housing dimensions and let the plastics shop cut it. At $2 a cut it's worth it because it kills three birds with one stone: makes the pieces luggable, cuts them to size, and makes them fit flat in the truck. A full size sheet of SeaBoard is 54" wide so it doesn't lay flat in the truck bed, meaning it warps the longer it sits there. The plastics shop uses a HUGE CNC-controlled circular saw for straight cuts that can handle 10x20' sheets, supposedly accurate to 0.010".

Don't worry about the comments bothering me. I learned when building the car that what doesn't do me in makes me stronger. I know there's a million ways of doing things, varying in degree of expense, ease, simplicity, weight, elegance, functionality, reliability, and probably a dozen other parameters. During the car build, if someone was getting a bit testy, saying "let me see how you did it on your your car" usually quieted things down. (I also learned to add "eligible" people to my ignore list and the out-of-sight-out-of-mind really does work).

Name:  IMG_20170220_170325.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20170220_111651.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  260.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170220_104313.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  175.5 KB
    Last edited by kimini; 5 Days Ago at 11:10 PM.
    Build a sports car from scratch! Check out midlana.com and kimini.com

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    Change of plans on the gasket, it's coming off and will be replaced with something a lot more like what Zoki51 used and what's working fine on my current unit. I was already planning to have a box sticking out the end to handle the inlet pipes so it's easy enough to add a circular hole that matches the drum inlet and add the gasket there.

Anyhow, the gear was added to the end of the drum and the hinge added to the screen. The push is to find out the final width and diameter requirements of the drum, so those numbers can be applied to drawings for the outer assembly. I found out the hard way just how heavy a sheet of 0.50"-thick HDPE is so the plan is to come up with the housing dimensions now so that they can be sent to the plastics shop, and let them cut them up. At $2 a cut it's well worth it to me to make the pieces both luggable and finish-cut to size. To cut the stuff in a straight line they have a HUGE CNC-controlled circular saw that can handle 10x20' sheets, supposedly accurate to 0.010".

Don't worry about the comments bothering me. I learned long ago when building the car that what doesn't do me in makes me stronger. I know there's a million ways of doing things, varying in degree by expense, easy, simplicity, weight, elegance, functionality, and probably a dozen more parameters. I know that there's plenty of people out there who have better ideas than I do and during the car build, learned to say, "well let me see how you did it on your your car" and it usually got quiet after that.

Name:  IMG_20170220_170325.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  140.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20170220_111651.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  260.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170220_104313.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  175.5 KB
    awesome. everyone has there own ideas and creativity. i think Zac was trying to be more informative then criticism also. he and we all have had our share of trial and error. your skills are great though. the drum is looking stonger, not the gasket though, was no Bueno man. glad you went with zoki design. also. you guys are way smarter than me
    Last edited by kevin32; 5 Days Ago at 11:13 PM.

kimini
    Oh I get that. Comments based in fact aren't considered criticism by me and learning about that gasket material is enough to make me change course.

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    Oh I get that. Comments based in fact aren't considered criticism by me and learning about that gasket material is enough to make me change course.
    i can't even spell right lol

that was for a snug top cover right. my uncle has built all his cars and i can spot automotive when I see it lol.

if Zac had no care he would not even comment. I don't push anyone, but support Is great in this hobby.
    Last edited by kevin32; 5 Days Ago at 11:20 PM.

kimini
    I came up with four ways to hold the screen ends together:
    • - draw latches
    • - cargo straps
    • - large hose clamps
    • - angle material drawn together with long bolts

The first three are convenient but don't address the springiness of the screen material; I worry it'll spring upward between hold-downs and allow a leak. The fourth method is less convenient for servicing yet ensures that the ends are drawn down when tight. It "shouldn't" have to be serviced very often, so if it takes 2 minutes to remove the screen versus 10 seconds, that's okay. Avoiding leaks is pretty high on the list and since all approaches cost about the same, 316 stainless angle material is being priced out.
    Last edited by kimini; 4 Days Ago at 03:52 PM.

kimini
    Ordered the stainless angle and have the cut list for the outer housing... the last big "cha-ching" for this project.

kevin32
    is getting tired
    CKK in training
    sweet. cant wait to see this in action. or on video lol

kimini
    All the remaining RDF bits have been ordered. I updated the list of materials on the first page of this thread and totals to around $2000 - a lot, yet not for what it is.

The idea is to have it ready to run before the new pond is filled, possibly even being swapped in to the existing pond system now. I like to compartmentalize changes, or said another way, changing one thing at a time to make it easier to deal with problems. Yeah, as I'm typing this I guess I've decided; the RDF will get swapped in as soon as it's done. Thanks for listening to my typing out loud, so to speak.

There's a fair bit of fabrication involved in the enclosure so there'll be plenty more updates, but the fussy hard stuff is done so it'll be more fun from here on out. The entire pond redo is finally past the money hump, with the only things left being the liner and possibly more retaining wall stone.
    Last edited by kimini; 3 Days Ago at 08:56 PM.

Huysy
    Really enjoying seeing your journey and the decisions you make. "The Beast" has been appropriately named. With the materials you are using, this thing is going to be solid....and heavy. You'll definitely need a few people to help you move it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123