Thanks, though sharp-eyed viewers will note the wetness around the foot of the RDF, indicating that there are still leaks. I'm telling myself that the tiny holes will slowly plug themselves up. Yes, that's it.
You sure it's not from the spray bar?
Shucks! Well, good luck on the repairs.
While plumbing the RDF inlets I looked under the enclosure and was shocked how bowed the bottom panels are due to the weight of the water. Frankly, I'm impressed the welds are dealing with it and should have seen this coming since there's about 1000 lbs of water the bottom panels are supporting. Probably the most straightforward solution is a bolt-on strut that runs across with a couple supports. Short term I can shove some blocks under it, though the risk is that it works well enough that I forget about it.
Last edited by kimini; 1 Week Ago at 06:09 PM.
So I decided to deal with the bowed lower tank panels - the fear was that the distended panels could burst their welds and lead to a serious pond situation. Since the tank is elevated, fabricated "support bras" could be positioned under the floor panels yet not require drilling into them. Using the "go big or go home" method, 3" angle stainless was used since with about 1000 lbs of water, smaller material would bend.
Speaking of that, the remaining side panel (the one without a stiffening rib) has slowly warped to about 1" in the center, so that'll need help as well.
Last edited by kimini; 6 Days Ago at 10:21 AM.
why not just set the rfd on a concrete block base
Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.
you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.
The four feet are on concrete blocks. The bottom of the enclosure has two panels angled in towards each other and is raised slightly so that the tank can be fully drained if necessary. In hindsight, I agree a flat bottom would be easier, but would then require setting the finished unit on a flat and stable surface.
Last edited by kimini; 4 Days Ago at 09:48 AM.
With the filter up and running, time's being spent installing the liner in the new pond adjacent to the old one. That was done last Sunday, and on Monday I added about a foot of water so I could "manage" the wrinkles - the water saved me a lot of grief later...
Came home Tuesday and immediately checked on the pond, noticing that the existing pond level was about 6" low... uh oh, where'd it go? First, a bit of an explanation is necessary: The RDF uses a float switch to trigger a cleaning cycle. Because I'm changing the yard all around, the RDF is currently being fed by the old pond and pump, so water's being pushed to it and it gravity-flows through a moving-bed filter back to the old pond. Because the RDF is being pump-fed, that necessitates having the float switch on the inlet side where all the dirty water is, where it's vulnerable than if it were located on the clean outlet side of the drum. Well, in two weeks of use, enough algae and gunk built up on the switch that it froze it in the I-don't-need-any-cleaning-thank-you position. Sigh...
So being pump-fed and not cycling, the RDF overflowed, which isn't a huge deal. What is a big deal is that the water flowed down along the new pond's pipes, down under the new liner. So when I came home and saw the mess, I also noticed that the liner in the new pond looked a little "bloated", and that's when the light bulb went on in my head with an "Oh, ****." If it wasn't for the water already in the liner, it would have been completely floated, but with at least some downward pressure, it more or less remained in place but definitely felt "squishy" due to the water and mud below it. I used a sump pump to pull out as much water under the liner, then figured the best thing to do was to fill the new pond further to increase the hydrostatic pressure, pushing the new liner down and forcing the remaining water out from under the liner. So with that fiasco solved, the evening was done, with just in time to take this picture of our backyard mayhem. Though it looks touched-up, the pic is straight out of a Google 6P phone - pretty amazing what these weenie cameras can do when everything's just right.
PS: What appears to be a small pile of dirt in the background is actually a huge pile (one of three...), which will be pushed into the old pond once the fish are transferred to the new one. That area will then become a proper vegetable garden, watered by wonderfully rich pond water. For those who are wondering, the landscaping blocks are new to the market (Home Depot) and are enormous 6"x12"x18" 54-lb units. They should be called "birth-control blocks" because after moving a bunch of them, you don't feel like doing anything else!
Last edited by kimini; 1 Day Ago at 10:21 PM.