• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Is my koi sick?

smash2210 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is my koi sick?

My koi is continuously opening and closing its mouth... It is breathing rapidly and also its not able to eat.As it tries to eat due to continuously opening and closing the mouth it spits out the food.This abnormal behavior was seen since 5 days back.Before that it used to eat food and also breath normally. I have other fish in my tank and none of them breaths in such a way.I have also checked water parameters and have also done partial water change but it didn't help me.I also tried to see if it had pebble or pea sized rock stuck in its throat but I found nothing.
      I am worried for my fish and appreciate any help.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Hungle64 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Your water! Check that first. Performing water change base on your test result.
      IMO. That is Ammonia or Nitrite and Nitrate level

RickF is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen. I am sorry your first post had to be one of a problem, but you are not alone in that respect.

As Hungle64 mentioned, the first thing to check is the water. Most problems start because of poor water conditions. Please provide the values for ammonia, nitrite, pH, KH, and temperature. How many fish do you have, what size are they, and how large is your tank? Please describe the filtration and aeration you have in the tank.

Is the fish showing any other signs of problems, such as clamped fins, isolating from the other fish, flashing (rubbing against the bottom or against any objects in the tank), piping (sticking its head out of the water), shaking its head, or laying on the bottom? How long have you had the fish, and have you added any new fish in the past few months? Has anything else changed in your tank recently?

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Not being able to eat, spiting out the food...and possibly starting lose weight---leads one think that there is a mouth infection-which is not unusual. It will require sedation and inspection with a flashlite to further inspect for upper roof or lower mouth areas which are red and raw. If a thorough inspection is made and there is no evidence of a mouth "ulcer/infection" then removal from the collection and an increase in temperature to about 80F for about three days to induce further problems may be the best way to develop a treatment protocol.

You will need to sedate the fish for this process. If needed we will copy a description of this to you from our forum.

If a mouth ulceration is obvious, the treatment is simple, but I will not describe that unless I see it is necessary, so get the inspection done and relay the results.

Yes, as Rick says, check your water quality and your filtration devices. Make sure you have done your due diligence regarding all systems.

Answer all of the questions that Rick has asked for. There may be something which provides a method for recovery.
      Last edited by KoiValley; 01-04-2017 at 04:14 PM.
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007