Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bulging eyes.

kntry
    has not specified a status.
    2017 KPOTY
    Good job. I'm glad you took the salt advice to force the water out of his body.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Good job. I'm glad you took the salt advice to force the water out of his body.
    Yeah it worked great. I knew about using the salt to relieve the excess fluid but didn't know to put it all in at once. thanks for the advice.

fish looks good this morning before I headed to work. eyes are normal as well as the body and it seems active. this fish was face down 2 days ago...

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    It probably wouldn't have worked if you would have divided the salt up over 3 days.

If you keep the koi, this may be something that happens every year when the water turns cold or it may be a single occurrence so keep an eye on it.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    It probably wouldn't have worked if you would have divided the salt up over 3 days.

If you keep the koi, this may be something that happens every year when the water turns cold or it may be a single occurrence so keep an eye on it.
    Not keeping the koi, but yeah I agree...

also I didn't mean to heat the pond up so fast. I was just saying I did and it was ok. I wouldn't advise it lol.

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    They can take going from cold to hot a lot easier than they can going from hot to cold. I'm glad it worked out.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    just injected fish looks good. redness on the body now. don't give up on pinecone dropsy etc.. people

this fish was good as dead. waiting for it to cure in 48 degree weather was not going to happen . kinda shows you need to have back up measures and need to be ready to take action today. I put things off and well the results were bad. I hope to improve my health care and if I can help 1 person at all I'm happy lol

if you are viewing this thread from the end look at the first post....

thanks russel, Marilyn, Sandy, Rich, Rick etc.. I was going to sedate you all gave me hope.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kevin32; 1 Week Ago at 10:36 PM.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I had injected larger koi and did not even sedate. but the smaller koi are squirmy. I did not let this koi get fully knocked out. I gently flipped upside down and injected behind the fin and split the dose to each fin.

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    What's the water temp? What are you injecting and why?
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

koiman1950
    taking time to enjoy life
    Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
    I had injected larger koi and did not even sedate. but the smaller koi are squirmy. I did not let this koi get fully knocked out. I gently flipped upside down and injected behind the fin and split the dose to each fin.
    Why? Which fin(s) did you inject "behind"?

Did you inject because of the "dropsy" issue? I don't think this was truly dropsy as in an internal bacterial infection. I've seen/had this scenario happen before, like Deb did. The higher temp and the salt did most of the required work. I feel all you did was add stress to the fish when it's already been through a LOT!
    Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    pond temp is 70 degrees. the fish had redness through its body after the salt so I assumed some bacterial problem was going on. the fish is super active today and most the redness is gone.

Russell Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
    Why? Which fin(s) did you inject "behind"?

Did you inject because of the "dropsy" issue? I don't think this was truly dropsy as in an internal bacterial infection. I've seen/had this scenario happen before, like Deb did. The higher temp and the salt did most of the required work. I feel all you did was add stress to the fish when it's already been through a LOT!
    Kevin is doing the right thing, I showed him what to do and where to do it.

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    Thanks, Kevin. I didn't realize it was red.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I was going to say I injected in the anal tube. but not sure if anyone would appreciate my twisted sense of humor. I'm showing some nitrite and miget move to a larger 300 gallon and get a greenhouse tomorrow to keep rainwater out and keep the heat in. also will get a bigger filter going. only using a submersible filter for now. (last minute deal)

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I saw debs thread. I don't feel her problem was the same as mine. just my .02. I feel my problem was bacterial related. I have had bulging eyes turn into lifted scales within 2 days last year. I just got rid of fish from overcrowding but I think this sanke had a bacterial issue before I got rid of the 9 koi . I will improve filtration this spring. feed more to prevent this again. also have bad liner folds trapping leaves etc... and will redo the pindustry and do cement.

heating the koi and adding salt worked to relieve the pressure cool. Deb never heated her koi up and did not want to inject because of the lower temp and ineffectiveness? when I heat up the pond the bacteria will wake up whether Good or bad. injections will help boost the immune system and the fish has better ability to adapt to this. I don't want to get into a argument here. if so just forget this thread.

that is about it either the fish makes it or doesn't. thanks for the responses and really I have my mind set to do 2 more injections. if you don't agree fine and that is your opinion. if I inject 2 more times and fish does well you can just say I got lucky and would have been better off not doing it. if the fish doesnt make it your can say should not have injected it. either way easy to make me look like Im doing the wrong thing. everyone seems a expert.
    Last edited by kevin32; 1 Week Ago at 10:35 PM.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    injections work great when needed. i healed 3 fish last year 60 degree water with injections. full blown ulcers and belly and healed on 3 days. so why is injecting so bad? I injected the koi and it was not stressed and rebounded well?!?

sorry for the poor spelling I'm tired and cold as can be.
    Last edited by kevin32; 1 Week Ago at 11:12 PM.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    fish is doing good. in show some trace of nitrite which the salt is protecting. the ammonia shows .25 ppm which isn't good but hey it is a qt tank. doing water changes every day.

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Use Prime, Cloram-X or Safe to neutralize the ammonia and all should be good.
    Member MAKC

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
    Use Prime, Cloram-X or Safe to neutralize the ammonia and all should be good.
    Just added ammo lock. thanks rich

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    the qt is not cycled. I went from 48 to 68 degree water. bacteria takespecially awhile lol

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    was a day late doing injection and didn't add the elbergin right away. fish is not looking to good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast