Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bulging eyes.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training

bulging eyes.

I have a smaller sanke that has got exteme bulging eyes. I don't see any scales lifted. water is only 46 degrees. Im working on a QT tank but had some leaks in filter. should I qt it and add salt to .1 and gradually heat? other option is clove oil and let it go nice and easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    body is swollen and bulging eyes. might put it down. I don't like this koi much and not worth treating it. this infection may have come on slowlyrics. I should have qted it earlier

kntry
    has not specified a status.
    2017 KPOTY
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to live. Someone would love to have it.

Bring it inside and warm it slowly. Put .6% salt all at once to help force the water out of its body. If you can't bring it inside, still increase the salt to .6% at once. 6lbs. of salt per 100 gallons.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

RichToyBox
    Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Before putting the fish down, look at http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...h-swollen-eyes which was a recent case with bulging eyes. In that case, the wait and see approach worked. At your temperatures, treatments in the pond would not be effective, except for the high salt content which will remove pressure from the kidneys, reducing the internal water content in the fish. If you can bring it into a warm QT then treatment with antibiotics would be beneficial.
    Member MAKC

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
    Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
    Richard

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I will try to get qt up and warming slowly . thanks rich

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I am aware that increasing salt will help remove some pressure from the kidneys. this fish has been isolating and acting different. for about 3 weeks now. I should have been more proactive perhaps

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    Did you add the .6% salt? It needs to be done all at once.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    no salt yet. it has fully lifted the scales and full blown dropsy. it is in a bowl right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I am trying to get the 300 gallon qt going also have a 100 gallon. it is raining like crazy today though

I think I will put this one in 100 gallon and heat and salt to .6 to go with it one last chance. I will heat very slowly.

I just put the 100 gallon in shed so no rainwater. taking some matting out of the bigger pond and putting in waterfall filter with a 1100gph pump. more like 700 after loss... submersible heater heating 2 degrees a day or more?

thanks...
    Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:49 PM.

RichToyBox
    Once the temperature is above 60, start with antibiotics. I would go even higher with the salt, to 0.8%. I don't think I would go too slow in raising the temperature, fish can tolerate the temperature change going up much easier than they can go down.
    Member MAKC

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
    Richard

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    thanks rich. not much time left. I need to take action now...

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    I will add 6 pounds salt to to 100 gallons. should give me .75% roughly right?

RichToyBox
    That is close. More like 0.72%.
    Member MAKC

Zone 7 A/B
    Richard

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    thanks again added 5 pounds. seems to be helping so far. Hopefilly it will help the kidneys recover. more to it bit of need to get back to work and get batteries for salt meter.

I came in at .85% will add a litte warm water fron house and set submersible heater to 71 degrees which will take forever to heat. the pinecone has seems to gone down and hopefully it will relieve it
    Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:11 PM.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    seems only time salt is helpful anymore is for nitrite spikes or helping the fish recover from dropsy...

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    fish was swimming around better this morning and not pointing it's head down. trying to get injections and elbergin.

RickF
    is looking forward to not setting an alarm clock again.
    Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
    seems only time salt is helpful anymore is for nitrite spikes or helping the fish recover from dropsy...
    Salt is still the best option for ich, but as you say, it no longer works for most parasites.

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    Salt is still the best option for ich, but as you say, it no longer works for most parasites.
    oops that's right ich also. most ich treatments would drain your wallet lol.

I am also going to try table salt on some spots of koi that I thought had pox but it could be encysted parasites of some sort. I will put on the salt and see if the white spot breaks down. not sure how to word it.

RichToyBox
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
    oops that's right ich also. most ich treatments would drain your wallet lol.

I am also going to try table salt on some spots of koi that I thought had pox but it could be encysted parasites of some sort. I will put on the salt and see if the white spot breaks down. not sure how to word it.
    I am not sure that salt will do anything for the spots. They are most likely either viral or encysted parasites. Dimilin will do a better job with the encysted parasites, and I don't know of anything except time for the immune system to overpower the virus type problems.
    Member MAKC

Zone 7 A/B
    Richard

kevin32
    is turning Japanesa
    CKK in training
    Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
    I am not sure that salt will do anything for the spots. They are most likely either viral or encysted parasites. Dimilin will do a better job with the encysted parasites, and I don't know of anything except time for the immune system to overpower the virus type problems.
    It was just a little test I was going to try. if it does nothing to a spot I wont do it again.

The fish is doing better. pinecone and swelling of the eyes and body has gone down. Water is now 73 degrees. I know many say don't raise temp to fast. I did and the fish seems to have improved a lot. It was practically bleeding out the scales and near death.... Water was 48 degrees at 8 pm last night. so I went up 25 degrees in 21 hours and fish is fine. injecting and doing elbergin tomorrow thanks to vet for injections
    Last edited by kevin32; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast