• Tired

Thread: Critique: Teradomari Showa

Euryth is offline Senior Member
      is A Gosai with Grand Champion
      Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Critique: Teradomari Showa

Here are pictures of my Teradomari female Showa purchased along with my INC Showa (in a previous thread) during the summer of 2015. I'm including dealer pics, pics taken after QT, and finally pics that I took last week Wednesday. She was 10" at purchase, probably 11" after QT and was my slowest grower this season after ending up at 16-16.5". Those pics probably aren't the best, but would appreciate any critiques you all may have. I'll update this thread with higher quality pictures either this weekend or next spring.

In some of the pictures, you'll notice this one lighter area on the hi plate on her shoulders-is this weakening beni or something? I can confirm she's had no injuries or past infections, etc. I'd guess she'd already lost a great deal of beni before I purchased her, but hasn't really lost much more since I've had her. If she loses anymore I'd have to rehome her. Anyway, here are the pics:
      Name:  SSC_0223_220Koi.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  164.3 KB
      Dealer Pic #1
      Name:  SSC_0222_219Koi.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  159.6 KB
      Dealer Pic #2
      Name:  20160512_163702.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  41.4 KB
      QT Pic #1
      Name:  20160512_163905.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  48.7 KB
      QT Pic #2
      Name:  20160512_163616.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  51.1 KB
      QT Pic #3
      Name:  20160512_163859.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  84.8 KB
      QT Pic #4
      Name:  20161123_161430.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  106.2 KB
      Bowl Pic #1
      Name:  20161123_161454.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  78.7 KB
      Bowl Pic #2
      Name:  20161123_161458.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  66.3 KB
      Bowl Pic #3
      Name:  20161123_161434.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  38.9 KB
      Bowl Pic #4

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bummer on the beni loss on the head but still a valuable learning experience. It's nice to see how the sumi pulled back on the pecs and consolidated on the rest of the koi. It shows how what appears to be a very dark koi may not develop all of that sumi. Chances are there will still be a head pattern although it won't be a beni colored one but a sumi colored one.

Just for clarification, the koi isn't pinched behind the gill plates, is it? That one pic really looks pretty bad but I'm not seeing it in the others so it's got me confused, lol.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Bummer on the beni loss on the head but still a valuable learning experience. It's nice to see how the sumi pulled back on the pecs and consolidated on the rest of the koi. It shows how what appears to be a very dark koi may not develop all of that sumi. Chances are there will still be a head pattern although it won't be a beni colored one but a sumi colored one.

Just for clarification, the koi isn't pinched behind the gill plates, is it? That one pic really looks pretty bad but I'm not seeing it in the others so it's got me confused, lol.
      Looks like the sumi is questionable? Your thoughts

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks for the responses, Marilyn & kdh! My water's very soft here, so I don't typically lose beni with any of my koi unless it's purely genetics. Even with this girl, she kept whatever beni she arrived with. That one light area on her beni shoulder plate still concerns me, though! As far as this koi being pinched behind the gill plates, it doesn't appear to be that way in person or in the video I took of her that I'll upload soon! I think the sumi on the edge of her gill plates helps create that illusion I'd guess lol?

As far as her sumi is concerned, I'm not sure if it's still down, developing and will surface again later or this is a sign that I need more KH in the pond? Still waiting on it to fill in, but I'd guess she still has a ways to go. A head sumi pattern would still help her have all 3 colors in the face as long as she didn't lose her lipstick lol.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kdh View Post
      Looks like the sumi is questionable? Your thoughts
      I really don't know, TBH. I'm not familiar with how the sumi develops on his fish as I haven't had one. I have seen SU develop sumi like this though and when it did come in it was good. The sumi isn't why this one could be on the rehome list for me. I would 1) make sure the conformation is okay. That pinched pic is unnerving, lol 2) Some people may not like the lack of beni on the head. I tend to forgive unusual patterns in that respect but for others it might be a deal breaker.

I just read Euryth's post that the gill transition is okay so we'll chalk it up to optical illusion.

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I wanted to hold onto her so that I could watch the sumi development and see where it went, but if she begins to fail in other areas then I could use the space to grow my higher quality koi. I've uploaded the video to youtube of her in the bowl, so hopefully it sheds some light on more of her conformation and such:

Also, please ignore my friend's "WOW" in the video lol! We were a little amazed at how calm she was in the bowl compared to the first few fish we were failing at taking pics of.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay, this will be enjoyable one to watch and learn from but honestly, I don't think it will have the long term appeal of the INC you purchased. The cool thing is that as both are Showa, you get to compare them.
      The conformation on this one is kind of challenged. It has a smaller and pointier head and honestly, koi with that characteristic very seldom look exceptional as mature koi. TBH, I can't think of a single one that the quality outshines the lesser conformation. It also appears to have a weaker tail.
      Given that there has been beni loss, this one will likely be moved on before you are through enjoying your INC. I still think there is plenty to learn from and enjoy but I think you got a better frame on the INC, as well as beni and skin. The sumi is your gamble on the INC but I've always been one to like that kind of gamble.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Euryth, I just wanted to add, the first couple of years in the hobby I did nothing but buy tosai with the occasional nisai purchase. I'm ashamed to admit how many I rolled through in that time frame but it gave me a crash course in picking tosai. I'm not saying it taught me absolutely how to pick good conformation with good beni and skin but it helped. It helped a lot .It was what I personally needed to do to advance in the hobby.
      I figure the enjoyment is in the learning and when things panned out the way I hoped. Picking tosai is very much an enjoyable part of this hobby for me but even still, they remain the trickiest. The best thing you can do is really study your two Showa and glean everything they have to teach you. We've talked about sumi, beni, skin and conformation and between these two, you'll see loads of very interesting things happen.

Enjoy!

Ambitions!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Marilyn, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide critiques and guidance despite these poor quality pictures! It really means alot to me, and I feel much more empowered about making decisions on which of my koi I could stand to learn from still or may need to rehome. I would love to see how this fish turns out, but I've got others whose futures seem much brighter. Including the two Showa I've posted, I have a total of four Showa at the moment. Each was chosen for different aesthetic reasons: the INC Showa had more white ground in its pattern, this Teradomari looked to be a darker fish in the future, a Kobayashi Tancho/Maruten Showa since I've never owned tancho or maruten koi, and a Kobayashi Showa with the most hi in its pattern of all 4 Showa. I'll soon start threads for them as well (better pictures, I promise).

I too purchased many tosai when I started and loved the idea of saying how much the koi grew in my care up until that point, and have recently seen the light (lol) about waiting to purchase higher quality nisai (any older and I couldn't afford it!) so I could stop having to waste space & resources on koi that didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. With my eye for quality having developed as much as it has in comparison to this time last year, I believe my collection will soon reflect that and this site is a wonderful resource to assist me in doing that!

Rufretic is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think this one may be a good rehome candidate. I would love to see how the sumi finishes but at the same time, is it worth waiting for when the beni looks to be very poor and only going to get worse? I don't think it's worth the time because even if the sumi comes up and looks really nice, your still not going to like the beni if it still even has any. IMO better to rehome this one to make space for a new one that has better potential. Tosai are so tricky, I would of thought it would of turned out better from the first pic. I guess it shows some signs of weak beni but I sure wouldn't of guessed it would of turned out like this. It's too bad the beni didn't hold up better because other than that I think it looks like a pretty good koi. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007