• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Edging ideas for slope with solid roots

jackdoom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Edging ideas for slope with solid roots

I'm completely stumped as to how I can edge a wooded section of "garden" on the edge of our property. I've posted about this section of garden before here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57500

Since that post was made, we discovered that more like 2/3 of the space is ours. It's a section of garden that I'd like to keep very low maintenance since ripping out the neighbors creeping vines is already so consuming of my time in that space. However, it's so close to the street that I'd like for it to be pretty as well for the sake of passerby's . I purchased a bunch of clearance plants and got some free divisions from neighbors last fall and now have several christmas ferns, perennial geranium, japanese painted fern, variegated sedge, foam flowers and the epimedium mentioned in my linked post.

The problem is that now I'd like to mulch the space but since it's sloped and not edged, the mulch just slides down into the grass/weeds and looks sloppy. It also confuses my husband as to where he should mow and he assumes the weeds are part of the bed since they're mulched. The side of the garden is edged with shrubs which works great, however the bottom of the garden just ends and then there's about 8 feet of weeds/grass between the garden and the street. I don't want to extend the garden to the street because neighbors and friends often park there a bit into the grass (no sidewalks and tight street). It's also tricky since 1/3 of the space is my neighbors so edging it is awkward.

Last year I attempted to edge it with a trench but could only dig down a couple of inches due to the dense roots in the area. I thought about building a little retaining wall with those interlocking blocks, but again the issue of not being able to dig down creates a problem. Anything resting on the top of the soil would likely slide down due to the slope so that leaves me completely stumped! I also can't continue the edging with shrubs since I can't dig down deep enough to plant anything but shallow rooted plants.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Keep in mind I don't want to invest too much in this space.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How about a pic?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond