• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Heres a quick overview on my 5800 gallon pond Ive started already.....

uscstaylor is offline Senior Member
      is in love with his Koi more the
      his car

Feeling:
      Cool

Hey Guys
      I just thought of something what if its not my wood and it the aeration. I have a Pondmaster 100, with a 8 inch round airstone and it throws a lot of bubbles plus the return creates a nice water flow too, but with my size pond do you think I need more air? I just read that with increased temps In the summer, the O2 is depleted faster...Id like to know what others have in the way of air and how my stones. I'm ordering a O2 meter asap...
      Last edited by uscstaylor; 07-22-2017 at 07:34 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Buy a larger air pump, install it, add more fish and then pour water over the wood so that it leaches into the pond. If the fish die you have your answer.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by uscstaylor View Post
      Hey Guys
      I just thought of something what if its not my wood and it the aeration. I have a Pondmaster 100, with a 8 inch round airstone and it throws a lot of bubbles plus the return creates a nice water flow too, but with my size pond do you think I need more air? I just read that with increased temps In the summer, the O2 is depleted faster...Id like to know what others have in the way of air and how my stones. I'm ordering a O2 meter asap...
      The Seneye is measuring "Dissolved O2 potential" meaning you're very near saturation. Mine normally reads between 8 and 9. And even still I don't think
      that alone wouldn't kill the fish in less than 48 hours. Imo it's not your oxygen level, it's something in the water. But without testing it you'll be guessing,
      but I hope you're right and it's the PT wood.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

TylerDurden is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You would probably noticed fish gasping for air at the surface of it were due to lack of air. Plus you only had a few small koi in a large body of water so even more reason to believe it has nothing to do with oxygen levels.

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

That's what I thought to Tyler. I haven't seen any fish gasping for air. Tomorrow I'm taking the PT wood down and replacing it. Then emptying the pond, rinsing it down re empty then filling with fresh water. We'll see

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I used 2"x8" building grade from HD and sealed with Thompson to hold down the pond liner. It has been three years and so far so good. Save your money from other fancy woods.
      M.Nguyen

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

Thanks OCkoifan
      I ordered Marine Grade Polyurethane from Amazon today, I'm going to give a good coating on all 3 ledges and back wall when it gets here. I need 2 days where it won't rain though. Then I'm going to drain the pond completely and give it a good scrub down with power washer and pond vacuum, then refill with fresh well water. Im gonna add my Prime and Salt and go from there. I did add a Vortex style DIY filter for polishing up the water before it goes back into the main pond...Came out great. My koi are doing great now. All the fish seem relaxed in the smaller pond. The 2 fish that were injured are healing fine thank goodness.

I have to say one thing this has really opened my eyes. I've learned a great deal over the past 2 weeks. I'm still upset that I lost 4 of my fish so I'm doing everything I possibly can to make sure that wont happen again. I'll post an update soon..Thanks to all of you guys that have posted here with good tips and advice.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by uscstaylor View Post
      Thanks OCkoifan
      I ordered Marine Grade Polyurethane from Amazon today, I'm going to give a good coating on all 3 ledges and back wall when it gets here. I need 2 days where it won't rain though. Then I'm going to drain the pond completely and give it a good scrub down with power washer and pond vacuum, then refill with fresh well water. Im gonna add my Prime and Salt and go from there. I did add a Vortex style DIY filter for polishing up the water before it goes back into the main pond...Came out great. My koi are doing great now. All the fish seem relaxed in the smaller pond. The 2 fish that were injured are healing fine thank goodness.

I have to say one thing this has really opened my eyes. I've learned a great deal over the past 2 weeks. I'm still upset that I lost 4 of my fish so I'm doing everything I possibly can to make sure that wont happen again. I'll post an update soon..Thanks to all of you guys that have posted here with good tips and advice.
      Why would feel the need to add salt again? There's no need to add any salt EVER unless you have Nitrites and that should only need about .15.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

I see on the forums and in videos on YouTube that salt helps koi. That's why I posted it. I would love to know if we should or shouldn't cause honestly I get tired of thinking about all the different things people do to their ponds makes me feel like I'm not doing it right...

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I think often times some do add salt but I think it mostly makes them feel better as opposed to the koi.
      Salt has been added so much that most any parasite is resistant to it and so I personally only use it if nitrites are present. Any therapeutic
      value I think is debatable.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

I think I'm gonna go back to the basics when keeping my koi...I'm gotta tackle this issue with my big pond this week and I'll go from there. Thanks for the info icu

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Buy a larger air pump, install it, add more fish and then pour water over the wood so that it leaches into the pond. If the fish die you have your answer.
      koi aren't like test rats? that is not the right way to go about this... my stomach feels sick now
      Last edited by kevin32; 07-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

i have to hold back. but some people are just rude.many will help you in a more + way.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      koi aren't like test rats? that is not the right way to go about this... my stomach feels sick now
      Probably less than test rats in the eyes of most people. Fish are caught and gutted/skinned alive every day. Even by little kids.

How is his advice any different from putting a "canary" koi in with new koi in QT? The purpose of the canary koi is to see if it will die or not.

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

Well I'm not the one to do that first of all. I enjoy my koi and for the most part I enjoy all living creatures and don't want any harm to come to them. I get upset knowing that my mistakes cost the fish their lives, but I'm not here to discuss that or respond to posts that don't help my current situation. I just ignore posts that have a mean or ignorant sense to them and move on. That is a discussion for another thread. Getting back to my current situation I'm still waiting for the Polyurethane to arrive, then I just need a couple of dry days here and Ill be half way home..sort a speak! Keeping fingers crossed.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Probably less than test rats in the eyes of most people. Fish are caught and gutted/skinned alive every day. Even by little kids.

How is his advice any different from putting a "canary" koi in with new koi in QT? The purpose of the canary koi is to see if it will die or not.
      i have been a bass fisherman all my life. i catch and release them. I do keep halibut and salmon for fish I want to eat. I would not intentionally make any fish a test dummy to see if the pressure treated lumber was the cause..just my opinion.and how I feel...

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

Update

I was able to drain the pond and paint the Marine Grade Polyurethane on it today. I'll power wash the liner Wednesday and the redrain. Then fill with fresh water. I'll let pond run for 3 days,then I'll try to add a couple of store bought koi and see how it goes. I'm even going to silicone all the crack in the wood so no way runoff can happen. Keep fingers crossed. Thanks for help guys.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Did you decide not to replace the wood?

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I think he said he bought kiln dried Doug Fir to replace the PT wood.

"I see on the forums and in videos on YouTube that salt helps koi. That's why I posted it. I would love to know if we should or shouldn't cause honestly I get tired of thinking about all the different things people do to their ponds makes me feel like I'm not doing it right...

Taylor

I feel this is where you're going wrong. There's too much stuff on the net/youtube that isn't correct. Most of those people really know nothing about koi. They've gained their "knowledge" the same way as you are going about it, by reading old, outdated bad info on there. Most of those folks follow the Aquascape style designs and have no clue how to build a true koi pond. If that's what you want, please, stay away from all that stuff, especially as it relates to health issues, like adding salt for this/that. That recommendation, by value, stopped being relative over 10 years ago, just to give an example. Of course, feel free to follow your own path, we're here to help for free, and provide knowledge based on lifelong experience, especially in the ER forum.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

his car

Feeling:
      Cool

I did buy the Douglas fir and still have it. I wanted to try the marine grade polyurethane first. I tried to take off the PT wood but it was absolutely to tight the 12 inch lag bolts won't budge. So I had already purchased the Marine Grade Polyurethane so I did that today. I then drained it now Wednesday I'm power washing the whole liner. Then I'm going to refill the pond again and let it run for a few days. I'll add 2 small gold fish just to make sure they are OK. If they make it then I'll know I'm good. I am not watching anymore videos or reading outdated stuff. I have 2 good recommended books by a fellow hobbyist and I'm going back to what I was doing with my koi. They are all happy and healthy again thank goodness. I will try to keep ya updated and if the Polyurethane don't work then I'm taking my chainsaw to the PT wood and Ill wait till next spring to re-build it. Thanks all for the help and input.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast