Thread: Yamabuki Ogon vs Ki Matsuba

Cheryl
    is afflicted with P.O.N.D, pond obsession-neuroticdisorder
    Senior Member ~ WWKC Secretary ~
    Koi Health Care Committee Member

Yamabuki Ogon vs Ki Matsuba

When I bought my first Koi I didn't know what it was, it was about 3", metallic looking and yellow, after several years in an indoor stock tank without any light it grew and became platinum.

Name:  20160605_172618.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  68.3 KB

So I'm thinking, okay platinum Ogon, but then shortly after moving outdoors in the pond the yellow started coming back so I'm thinking Yamabuki Ogon. But now I'm spotting dark areas on the scales, almost a grey color and mostly on the middle back, is it possible that it could turn into a Ki Matsuba? Or is it just a poor quality Yamabuki Ogon?

Name:  20161027_081826.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  49.0 KB

Cheryl
    My pond build

Click for weather forecast

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

asp1213
    needs a bigger pond!
    Amazing how much the color changed! Pretty fish either way, will be interesting to hear the experts comment. :-)

Cheryl
    Quote Originally Posted by asp1213 View Post
    Amazing how much the color changed! Pretty fish either way, will be interesting to hear the experts comment. :-)
    Goes to show how important light is, I'm lucky my fish didn't go blind, lol.

Cheryl
    My pond build

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

kdh
    has not specified a status.
    A poor yama.

koiman1950
    taking time to enjoy life
    Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
    Could you please bowl this fish with clean/clear water? Not trying to sound "snarky" or smug but if you look, there is quite a bit of fine particulates in the water and it's throwing off the look of what you're asking about. I think I see what you're referring to but not positive.
    Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

Cheryl
    Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
    Could you please bowl this fish with clean/clear water? Not trying to sound "snarky" or smug but if you look, there is quite a bit of fine particulates in the water and it's throwing off the look of what you're asking about. I think I see what you're referring to but not positive.
    Yeah, it's hard to tell from the picture, I zoomed in and cropped the picture and he is about 4' down. I currently don't have a bowl or a net, I know, I know, how can you have a Koi pond without these essentials? I plan on getting them soon, but since the pond is covered now I can pull him anyway, I will try and bowl him in the Spring and maybe he will have changed some more. The black specs are algae debris, what I am seeing is the scales on the mid back are starting to turn grayish and it seems to be spreading.

Name:  20161027_184449.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  52.1 KB

Cheryl
    My pond build

koiman1950
    What? No Net or Bowl? LOL! Now that you cropped/enlarged the pic it does kinda confirm what I "thought" I saw before. Yes, it does look like matsuba netting coming up. Just a late bloomer for sure, but if it does come up and "if" it fills in properly, it could be one very nice Matsuba. But, if it doesn't, well, you WILL need a net and bowl for sure. How do you spell R-E-H-O-M-E?LOL
    Mike

koi4u2c
    I have a lot of butterfly koi that raised here. Some have taken years before they developed into matsuba.

Some as fry I almost got rid of because of an ugly gray streak down their back only later was I glad I kept them.
    Nancy

Cheryl
    Here is a video from this morning from my live Koi cam, of course before uploading it, it was more clear and you could kind of see the what I'm talking about but not so much now that the quality of the video was reduced by YouTube, oh well, here it is anyway.

https://youtu.be/-b-s9TMz8ug

Cheryl
    My pond build

kdh
    Those are some big bugs crawling around in the background. lol

koiman1950
    Definitely a Matsuba in the making.
    Mike

maruzo
    Koi Hobbyist on the road to redemption.
    I bought a butterfly koi 2 years ago from Petco. It was a creamy white koi around 4" in length. It stayed that creamy white color during the first 4 months when I had it in the garage aquarium. When it got bigger (around 7"), I brought it out and placed it in the outdoor pond with sunscreen cover on top. Over the next 18 months it gradually turned from creamy white to a 14 k gold color. It is now 18" in length and in a beautiful creamy yellow shade.

koiinthetube
    It's a kin ki matsuba.