Thread: How to keep fancy goldfishes in "unprotected" pond?

toffee
    has not specified a status.

How to keep fancy goldfishes in "unprotected" pond?

I must be an oddities as I prefer fancy goldfishes over koi. I really like the chubby, slow moving, varieties. But how to keep them in a somewhat natural looking pond, ie without lots of protections against predators?

My pond is an octagon about 8ft across and 4ft deep, I would prefer not having cover or mesh etc., Any experience to share?

Thanks for helping.

DarleneD
    is tired of this moving stuff
    I keep goldfish in my 22" deep pond. I don'y have a net but the pond is in a walled courtyard. I have had raccoons and possums visit the pond but they didn't bother the fish. However a few years ago a huge bullfrog ate several of my fish. Fitting justice that a raccoon killed him. I sure couldn't catch him. Your 4' deep pond should be ok, but some fish like pearlscales and fat fish will not do well in that much water. One fish that would do well is the wakin. Good luck.

toffee
    LOL at raccoon killu the bull frog! Justice! But sounded like the chubby fancies that I like won't do well with deep water? Too much effort to move up and down or too much water pressure due to their body shape?

kntry
    2017 KPOTY
    Good question, except I'm wondering how to keep them without having them die.

I have fancy and comets in my pond. The comets multiply like crazy and all but 1 of the fancy have died.

If the sides on the pond are straight, that usually deters critters.
    Sandy
    CKK, KHA

toffee
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Good question, except I'm wondering how to keep them without having them die.

I have fancy and comets in my pond. The comets multiply like crazy and all but 1 of the fancy have died.

If the sides on the pond are straight, that usually deters critters.
    I suspect when one mix fast nimble comet or koi with chubby and slow fancy, the fancy would be stressed and out competed. lol it's asking a 5ft nothing, 400lbs+ person to run laps or play basketball with an athlete. In a fancy only environment, the competition aspect would be more even playing field but how to help them handle predators? and as DarleneD pointed out , can they handle deeper pond which is normally the best way to escape predators?

koi4u2c
    The safest place I have ever kept my fancy goldfish has been in the largest pond with the big koi. Less predators seem to intrude their pond.

But fancy goldfish have to have a safe environment or you will loose a lot of them to all kinds of predators. I would say it is a must to enclose or net their pond. I have lost them to bullfrogs, snakes, kingfishers, dogs, attacks from other goldfish varieties, and of course there are raccoons and many other predators that I have not had experience with.
    Nancy

Ichthius
    Herons are my number one problem!
    Best Fishes
    David
    www.goldfishgarage.com

DarleneD
    is tired of this moving stuff
    I'd have to say bullfrogs are my only problem. Haven't seen any though for at least a year.