• Tired

Thread: Need Help with pond Filtration concept

Koi_Hobbyist1 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need Help with pond Filtration concept

Hello Everyone.
      I'm excited to be a new member of Koiphen.

I need your help/advise on my pond redesign. Currently I'm rebuilding my pond and have a Bottom drain question. It's a "small" pond and I'm making it little deeper and wider. Currently my pond size is aprox 7 feet diameter round and 3 feet or so deeper (this is the new size...). I'm putting bottom drain and need help hooking up the drain plumbing this way... I wonder if it will properly and efficiently work.
      I will have slope under my pond and will apply smooth concrete (maybe). Now I have a skimmer with existing submersible 3000GPH Aquascape pump, pumping the water to waterfall box/filter thru 1.5 inch Dia. flex PVC tubing. I'm planning to put pre filter next to skimmer and hook up the drain pipe (via 2 inch Dia pipe) the pre filter and to the output from Bottom Drain pre filter (change back to 1.5 inch pipe) to hook up to existing pump output via "T".
      Also planning to put knife valve between pre filter and pump "T".
      Please advice if this method will properly work. I really like to NOT add any external pump or so if possible.
      Thanks in advance
      Name:  POND1 PICTURE.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  185.7 KB

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I think all your plumbing pipe is too small. I would increase the bottom drain pipe to 3 inch, pre filter to skimmer box 3 inch, and pump to waterfall box to 2 inch.

I am not sure if connecting a bottom drain to a submersible pump like this will work, especially with the pre filter box connected to the submersible pump's outlet!

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How are you going to get the water out of the 'pre filter box' and to the waterfall?
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In order for this to work you need to have the pump where the black arrow is and, as has already been said, all of your plumbing is too small.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to Koiphen. You will find many people here that will be of great advise and help to you. Just a couple of quick things.

1 - I would keep the Lave Rock out of the bio-falls. To heavy and will plug up. Use something like strapping tape. Cheap, Light, and good surface area. I have miles of strapping tape in bags in my bio-falls.

2 - Do not (I repeat) Do not put rock and gravel in the bottom of the pond. This is an old concept of pond building that has been found to be problematic. I know as I have a very large pond full of rock and gravel. I have spent $$$ and time to remove the rock and gravel just this past summer.
      See link:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ean-out-coming

I think it could be fine to have large rocks building up the sides, but I'm sure some will disagree with that.

The plumbing, I leave up to others.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Koi_Hobbyist1. Welcome to Koiphen. I moved your thread out of the "Construction by the Pros" forum to the "Construction" forum. "Construction by the Pros" is for our advertising Pro members to showcase their work. The "Construction" forum is for our hobbyist members.

Good luck with your pond.

Koi_Hobbyist1 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello There.

Thanks for the comments and advises. I really appreciated Your time on comments
      I wish I could make as you guys suggested but I'm very limited. This pond originally was build about 15 years ago and now I have no chance to change the output pipe to larger size.. for example 2 inch as was suggested. I have trees allover and concrete everywhere, and I can not modify that...therefore I have to live with 1.5 inch return pipe.
      ( I understand that it is not the ideal size...)
      Before this I had some small Koi and goldfish in there and everything was OK...I had very clear water, but bottom was not clean, waste was captured inside gravel and slight movement and dirt would go up in the water... Now if I remove the bottom gravel and add bottom drain it should help more I think. There fore I came up with different design after researching more. Now what you guys think, is this new diagram going to work well? I really want to use my submersible 3000GpH pump since I replaced that 2 years ago and don't want to throw away and buy external pump. Please suggest other options if You can to somehow add bottom drain to my existing setup with submersible pump . Thanks a lot in advance...Name:  POND2 PICTURE.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  193.2 KB