• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: My "Distinctive" Koi

ozmosis99 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My "Distinctive" Koi

I got this koi by accident when he was small - I wasn't paying attention and he was mixed in with some goldfish. I noticed right away that he had a bent gill plate - no one would want him, so I kept him. His defect grew into a crooked face and mouth. I did try to give him to a "koi rescue" once, but they wouldn't take him.

I have had him long enough now that I have become attached, even though he is aggressive, selfish and not very attractive. He has outgrown his tankmates in my 440+ gallons indoor pond. I will ultimately build something bigger outside that is more suitable for him. For now, he is doing very well inside.

I posted this video due his distinctive looks. I affectionately refer to him as "The World's Ugliest Koi."

https://youtu.be/l-dyE5Rhoe8

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Mutts can do well if you treat them right. I have a gray, black, and orange koi that was a Petsmart purchase my daughter made for Father's Day. It is missing part of its tail and gets darker as time passes. To top that off it bleeds like crazy if you ever try to bet it. It however has hit the 2ft mark and has a home as long as I have the pond.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

DBibbins is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Ozmosis, Welcome to Koiphen.

All 11 of my koi are very much basic pond mutts, the 9 kids are 11 yrs old and dad is close to 14; I also have an 11 yr old that I saved from Walmart. The kids were born in the pond and I've had the parents since they were a few inches long, they will have a forever home in my pond. I have a couple of them that most of my friends say "Only a Mother could love that one because its so ugly". But when you have a 2' plus koi come up to you and eat from your hand and he has been a member of the family for 11 plus yrs..... That alone makes them ALL beautiful to me.

I'm glad you decided to keep him, it looks like he has an amazing home. After watching your video on the koi I watched the video on your pond set up. You have an awesome set up, the water looks amazing and the fish very happy. I love watching them go through the tunnels from one pond to the other, hopefully they wont outgrow the tunnels .

Deb
      Happiness is adopting a mutt and my pond is FULL of Happiness....
      Deb

My pond
      https://youtu.be/PR3Q2MInsQg

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agreed. I also have a wakin that's covered with tumors, and had a "rescue" goldfish for a year who had a swim bladder problem and always floated on his back. He finally gave up. Most of my other fish are feeders that I brought home and got healthy.

Did your daughter give yours a name?

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Mutts can do well if you treat them right. I have a gray, black, and orange koi that was a Petsmart purchase my daughter made for Father's Day. It is missing part of its tail and gets darker as time passes. To top that off it bleeds like crazy if you ever try to bet it. It however has hit the 2ft mark and has a home as long as I have the pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Deb. I have had a lot of fun building my little pond. I wanted to do something different, and to make something big out of pieces small enough to fit down the basement steps. It's fun to take people down in the basement and see them be shocked with what is there. At the rate this koi is growing, he will outgrow the tunnels before too long. I will ultimately build something bigger outside for him.

I had a pond at a previous house with some basic koi from Petsmart and some that were born there. I didn't have a place for them when we moved, but luckily the new owners were excited about keeping them. They even listened to me talk to them about taking care of the pond. The fish really do start to feel like part of the family.

In my current pond, I think the weather loaches actually have the best personalities. They are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by DBibbins View Post
      Hi Ozmosis, Welcome to Koiphen.

All 11 of my koi are very much basic pond mutts, the 9 kids are 11 yrs old and dad is close to 14; I also have an 11 yr old that I saved from Walmart. The kids were born in the pond and I've had the parents since they were a few inches long, they will have a forever home in my pond. I have a couple of them that most of my friends say "Only a Mother could love that one because its so ugly". But when you have a 2' plus koi come up to you and eat from your hand and he has been a member of the family for 11 plus yrs..... That alone makes them ALL beautiful to me.

I'm glad you decided to keep him, it looks like he has an amazing home. After watching your video on the koi I watched the video on your pond set up. You have an awesome set up, the water looks amazing and the fish very happy. I love watching them go through the tunnels from one pond to the other, hopefully they wont outgrow the tunnels .

Deb

Cheryl is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very cool set up! I love your ugly Koi, he has personality and he is lucky to have you and such a fun home.

Cheryl
      My pond build

Click for weather forecast

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."