• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fish badly injured, please help

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Because the fish may need multiple applications of the Tricide Neo, mix 1/4 of the packet with 1 quart of distilled water, and put that in a spray bottle. When time to treat, lift the fish out of the water, and away from the tank, and spray all wounds with the mix multiple sprays keeping it wet for the time specified on the packet. Rinse the fish with fresh water and return to the tank. Tricide Neo is very strong and will kill filters, so the need to rinse fish. The other 3/4 of the packet, place in a plastic bag, and freeze to preserve it, so that you can mix additional as needed. The mix must be refrigerated between uses. The instructions reference a bath, but the fish soaking in the bath, requires a fairly large amount of mix, fouls the mix, so that filtering through a coffee filter is needed between uses, and refrigeration and subsequent heating to tank temperature before use.

You will probably want some clove oil to put the fish to sleep during treatments for ease of handling, as ICU2 noted above.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

RickF is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Ki-Nitrifier is good for 6 months.
      And since most drug products are not shipped from the manufacturer with less than 9 months remaining on the shelf life, 6 months is short.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

spindrift is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just received my TDS meter. Would someone please educate me on what the reading should be for the recommended amount of salt? My tap water reads 022.
      I was afraid the microbelift stuff wouldnt help but I had some and thought I would try a little bit anyway. Good to know for later that it doesnt work.

Today I added a very large basket full of fresh zeolite that the return water from the filter falls into, so perhaps that will assist in keeping the ammonia safe while the filter slowly grows salt loving bugs. The store that is somewhat local and has the Tricide Neo is open tomorrow, so armed with the helpful directions on how to properly use it AND the write up on how to use clove oil....theoretically I will be reporting back with a short success story regarding my very first attempt at sedating a fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The reading, assuming it reads in ppm that you want to try to hit is 8000ppm. It probably reads to the nearest 10, so the readout would be 800X10ppm. The reading can go up to 8500ppm, but better to keep it close to the 8000ppm. The fish blood, like your blood is about 0.9% and will be trying to take on water to balance the salinity of the fish and the water, overworking the kidneys, trying to maintain the 0.9%. By keeping the water at 0.8% it reduces the differential, allowing the kidneys to have a chance to balance everything.

1% is 1 part per hundred, 0.1 is 1 part per 1000, and 0.0001 is part per million.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

DO NOT USE THE ZEOLITE if you use salt. Salt is the product used to RELEASE the ammonia the Zeolite would absorb. It's how it's recharged.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
      I just received my TDS meter. Would someone please educate me on what the reading should be for the recommended amount of salt? My tap water reads 022.
      I was afraid the microbelift stuff wouldnt help but I had some and thought I would try a little bit anyway. Good to know for later that it doesnt work.

Today I added a very large basket full of fresh zeolite that the return water from the filter falls into, so perhaps that will assist in keeping the ammonia safe while the filter slowly grows salt loving bugs. The store that is somewhat local and has the Tricide Neo is open tomorrow, so armed with the helpful directions on how to properly use it AND the write up on how to use clove oil....theoretically I will be reporting back with a short success story regarding my very first attempt at sedating a fish.
      Zeolite will NOT work with salt in your system.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
      And since most drug products are not shipped from the manufacturer with less than 9 months remaining on the shelf life, 6 months is short.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have always found it to be long enough.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

O dear..I had NOT thought about the zeolite with the salt. THANK YOU for bringing it to my attention... I've removed it!!
      How quickly should I bring the salt levels up? The TDS meter reads in the low 400s (x10) currently.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have gone from none to full all at one time. Some will say to go up somewhat slowly, but the idea is to get the fish into the correct range to stop dropsy symptoms before they start. The fish will be going through some major changes with the Tricide Neo unless the Clove oil bath is done with similar salt level.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

With a fully functional filter on your main pond, your best bet is to remove some of the media from your main filter and use that in your hospital tank filter. You can use the media from your hospital tank to replace the media from your main filter and it will seed quickly. There is unlkely to be any measurable effect on your main pond water as your pond has so much water. There is really no problem with doing this as this fish came from the main pod, so you are not introducing foreign parasites or bacteria to it. Happy thought for a full recovery!
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've tried to get a better closeup of the injury.
      The reddish colored areas are looking more like they are remaining strands of muscle, not necessarily infected..what do you think?
      I am not 100% sure of my assessment however, there certainly is a lot of darker colored meat so instead of the tricide neo, the fish has been given the first of a series of antibiotic injections into the body cavity. I was told to do three successive days, then wait a day, then after the next injection wait two days before giving the last injection. Using the 2.27% baytril at slightly less than the normal amount pr length of fish, due to how much of the fish is missing.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think that you are right on the assessment of the tissue. If you have Baytril, then you could always give another series at a later time if it looks like it is getting infected, or you could use the Tricide Neo and see which works the best/easiest.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Something that has me concerned...the fish is bending more and more in half. I am sure it is due to the large portion of muscle that is missing on one side, allowing the undamaged side to pull without any resistance..but the more time goes by, the more contorted the unfortunate fish becomes. Does muscle grow back when it is this damaged? Or is this fish, (should it survive the healing process) doomed to be folded in half like a wallet forever? Has anyone had experience with this? I want to be sure I am doing the right thing in trying to keep this fish alive.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
      Something that has me concerned...the fish is bending more and more in half. I am sure it is due to the large portion of muscle that is missing on one side, allowing the undamaged side to pull without any resistance..but the more time goes by, the more contorted the unfortunate fish becomes. Does muscle grow back when it is this damaged? Or is this fish, (should it survive the healing process) doomed to be folded in half like a wallet forever? Has anyone had experience with this? I want to be sure I am doing the right thing in trying to keep this fish alive.
      I know you think you are doing the right thing but you really should euthanize this fish. The damage is very extensive and your knowledge of taking care of damaged/sick fish is nonexistent. It seems like this is more for you than the Koi.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      after post #32 seems this is deeper than is seemed. muscle tissue is sensitive and this fish could end up bent or even twitching from muscle spasm.

I have always tried to save a fish until the last minute as I felt quilty. the raccoon caused the problem not you. we have all lost our share of koi.
      Actually, this scenario plays out thousands of time per season all over the world. It's not a wild animals fault that we create unnatural environments that are designed to entice a wild animal to act as nature has designed them to. Please don't blame the wild animal for any of this. He's doing what comes naturally to him in a manmade container that's incorrectly designed by most who build a pond. Why do you think there are so many threads talking about how to "net" your pond!?!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

trumpetdoug is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I agree that perhaps it's time to let the fish go. You have done all you can and the fish is suffering, and certainly will suffer more over time.

I admire your efforts in caring for this fish. You have fought the good fight.

Doug - out
      See Our Pond https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ond&highlight=

Blank Check Project - Helping those who stand on that wall. www.blankcheckproject.com

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I rarely agree with euthanasia, and have kept fish that others would not. However, I am seriously doubting that this fish will even survive the treatments directly on the tissue, let alone recover from them. Think of how salt burns an open wound on your skin. This is like half the fish being exposed to that intense pain. Also, as a close scenario, there is something in burn victims called the rule of 9's, where estimates of percentage of the body that is burned determines treatment (and outcomes). If this were a burn victim with so much flesh exposed, it would be highly doubtful they would survive. I myself would euthanize. So sorry you have to deal with this, especially such a large fish, it's hard putting down. But it really is a mercy.

Nancy

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12