• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Omosako Certificates

yenling29 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Omosako Certificates

I've seen some Omosako Koi for sale that include a cert and some do now. I'm curious-

-What percentage of their koi that they sell get a certificate?

-What retail price point would a koi get a certificate? For example anything over $1,000 would receive a cert.

-Are there different types of certs that Omosako gives out?

-Any other info about this would be appreciated, thanks!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by yenling29 View Post
      I've seen some Omosako Koi for sale that include a cert and some do now. I'm curious-

-What percentage of their koi that they sell get a certificate?

-What retail price point would a koi get a certificate? For example anything over $1,000 would receive a cert.

-Are there different types of certs that Omosako gives out?

-Any other info about this would be appreciated, thanks!
      On the whole it is best to remember that certificates are meaningless other than proof of birth. It does not really have anything to do with the quality of the fish. Price level is meaningless as well. Some dealers charge way too much for cheap fish with a certificate from a high end breeder. Thus, a Koi that should be $500.00 could be $1,000.00 or even $1,500.00. I see this a lot. It is best to know what you are buying otherwise it is buyer beware.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      On the whole it is best to remember that certificates are meaningless other than proof of birth. It does not really have anything to do with the quality of the fish. Price level is meaningless as well. Some dealers charge way too much for cheap fish with a certificate from a high end breeder. Thus, a Koi that should be $500.00 could be $1,000.00 or even $1,500.00. I see this a lot. It is best to know what you are buying otherwise it is buyer beware.
      Thanks Russell, I think the point you are making is more important than the questions i'm asking. That makes total sense and I appreciate the info. With that said, I'm still curious as to why some Omosako Shiro Utsuri have certs and some don't? I would assume that the fish that receive certs are considered a better quality by Omosako compared with fish with no certs?

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Russell, I think the point you are making is more important than the questions i'm asking. That makes total sense and I appreciate the info. With that said, I'm still curious as to why some Omosako Shiro Utsuri have certs and some don't? I would assume that the fish that receive certs are considered a better quality by Omosako compared with fish with no certs?
      No, that isn't the case. The simple fact is that dealers put more importance on certificates than the breeders do. It's a selling aid and a marketing tool. And most people think a koi that comes with a certificate are special, in some way, and thus should command a higher price. The pictures are often supplied by the dealer, not the breeder. Not always, but often.
      I think the point Russ was making is that regardless of whether the koi comes with a certificate or not, know your koi well enough to buy a good koi. Don't have the fact that it comes with a certificate govern your decision.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

DVo is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I certainly agree with M and Russ here.
      I've seen koi from dealers that aren't worth the price of the paper the certificate is printed on selling for hundreds and thousands of dollars just base on the fact that it is a certificate koi.

Dan

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

No, this is wrong because I know of some dealers that get certificates from Omosako that would not normally be given just so they can promote their business. It is NOT always about the quality of the fish. You need to understand what you are buying and not count on the certificate to get quality.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      No, that isn't the case. The simple fact is that dealers put more importance on certificates than the breeders do. It's a selling aid and a marketing tool. And most people think a koi that comes with a certificate are special, in some way, and thus should command a higher price. The pictures are often supplied by the dealer, not the breeder. Not always, but often.
      I think the point Russ was making is that regardless of whether the koi comes with a certificate or not, know your koi well enough to buy a good koi. Don't have the fact that it comes with a certificate govern your decision.
      Oops, you got it covered and I responded before reading this.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The bottom line is that, with most dealers, certificates are a selling tool and the end user should be wary.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Awww, okay got it! Good info!

SeaSideAquatics LLC is offline Supporting Member
      is always working

Feeling:
      Awesome

The funny part is they don't even care to fill out all the information on the cetificate of the koi, parents of the koi....

So many people think certificate mean high quality and throwing money at them.

Sea Side Aquatics, LLC
      1332 S Claudina Street
      Anaheim, CA 92805
      www.SeaSideAquatics.com/pond

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Hugomizz is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

On the other spectrum, I have some very high end Koi supplied from Russ at PS Koi and they haven't come with a certificate, then I have had some grow out comp fish which are junk supplied with Certs.

At the end of the day, you have to know what your looking at or have complete faith and trust in your dealer, I do

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Guys, Okay well I'm in the Bay Area for Bonsai almost once a month. If it's alright, I'll contact Russell about purchasing Shiro Utsuri once i'm ready.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Guys, Okay well I'm in the Bay Area for Bonsai almost once a month. If it's alright, I'll contact Russell about purchasing Shiro Utsuri once i'm ready.
      I am glad to help in any way I can.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007