• Tired

Thread: Kohaku

ski brady is offline Koiphen Kid
      is getting ready for the show
      season

Feeling:
      Happy

Kohaku

Hi everyone it was a great weekend at the ZNA NWKG koi show. This is one of my two new koi I picked up. This koi did not compete in the koi show because I got him or her on Sunday. I like playing with fingerlings as a challenge. I measured the Kohaku out at 13 or 14cm. The breeder is Marudo. I picked this Kohaku out because of the Body and skin quality. The great pattern is just a bonus.
      Body: The head shape is nice, possibly a tad pointed but we will see when the koi grows how the head develops. The Shoulders of the fish are nice and wide. The mid body is quite nice with it quite straight and not curving in unnaturally. The tail is nice and strong with the U shape instead of the V shape.
      Skin Quality: Beni: The beni color is the same from the head to the tail. Down the sides, it might appear weak to some people but I can see the hoshi star in the center. Also, this little guy likes to eat and the dealer said it had been feasting on hi silk 21. I am feeling pretty good on the beni right now.
      The white is the color I like it. I like a more pinkish hue to the coloration. In the head, you can see the skull showing through. I think it will develop quite nicely.
      Pattern: This part is subjective some people like the head pattern and some people do not.
      This Kohaku is a gamble but I do hope it turns out. Please let me know your critiques.
      Name:  mask jr 14cm picture 1.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  20.8 KBName:  mask jr 14cm picture 2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  37.0 KBName:  mask jr 14cm picture 3.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  25.4 KBName:  mask jr 14cm picture 4.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  61.6 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Bill_in_PDX is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That is actually the skull showing through. Once the cartridge builds up, the shiro should become more evident.

The Beni is really even her her/him.

Bill...or Dad if you talk to Brady

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Well, based on the time of year, no tosai are being shipped into the country at this point, from this year's spawn. So, given that fact, this fish is last year's spawn so is really quite small for being over a year old! Other than that, I think you critiqued it quite well. Although some fish have a neat facial pattern being split like this (the AJKS winner "The Mask" comes to mind here), this one is just a bit much for my liking.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The color you see, at the arrow, is underlying Beni but, once the skin thickens up, you will not see it. It is pretty rare that this Beni actually surfaces.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007