• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Ohhhh, Baby!!

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Ohhhh, Baby!!

Baby ginger that is...the harvest is starting and it looks like it is going to be a sweet year!
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

FIT BMX is offline Senior Member
      is is with BLM!

Feeling:
      ----

Wow! That looks really great!
      Gallagher.

"I always put off what I can until tomorrow, because a little part of me says I could be dead by then!"

"When I die bury me deep, lay my bicycle at my feet, strap a helmet to my head, so I can ride when I'm dead."

"The artist must possess the courageous soul that dares and defies."
      kate chopin.

Feeling:
      Amused

Depending on how 'upscale' your market is, baby or young ginger is something you may want to consider growing. Where the harvest time for the mature ginger....the ginger seen in stores...is nearly ten months, the baby ginger harvest can start at about four months. Best thing is, it doesn't store or ship well, so it can only be done locally; no imports.

I know of growers in Michigan, Maine and Nova Scotia that produce ginger in their hoop houses and it goes for good bucks. I saw retail prices in the Maine farmer's market as high as $25/lb and visitors from MI said people wait for the local ginger supply to come to market and it sells out quickly at a double digit figure per pound I forget.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

is is with BLM!

Feeling:
      ----

I was just getting ready to ask you about growing ginger, when I saw your reply.
      Do you know of a good website that tells what type of soil, and other conditions they like? And where can I get ginger roots to start plants from?
      My high tunnel is doing very well, and I have already ordered a second high tunnel. Even though tomatoes and other standard produce sell well, everyone grows that stuff, and I would like to offer some less common stuff. I am also looking into other specialty crops as well.
      Gallagher.

"I always put off what I can until tomorrow, because a little part of me says I could be dead by then!"

"When I die bury me deep, lay my bicycle at my feet, strap a helmet to my head, so I can ride when I'm dead."

kate chopin.

Feeling:
      Amused

Somewhere I have a pdf to do with the cultivation of ginger, I'll see if I can't find it. Since I grow in pots I use an organic bag mix that is peat/perlite/bark. This is one of the few instances where the 'organic' form is the same price as the usual bagged mixes. We are applying for USDA organic certification, so need to use that organic mix. As to the "where", technically you can grow the rhizomes you get at the store...though I'd go organic, some treat the rhizomes with a chemical to retard sprouting. The big problem is a disease called bacterial wilt, the store bought rhizomes may be carriers; the farmers harvest around the affected area since the ginger is safe to eat, but plant it and it can infect your soil. I use a grower that guarantees his seed is disease free. Orders are placed in November and he ships Feb/March.

When we were in KS last August, my wife went to the Saturday market in Lawrence and said it seemed to be a pretty happenin' place, are you near to it?

Craig

is is with BLM!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Somewhere I have a pdf to do with the cultivation of ginger, I'll see if I can't find it. Since I grow in pots I use an organic bag mix that is peat/perlite/bark. This is one of the few instances where the 'organic' form is the same price as the usual bagged mixes. We are applying for USDA organic certification, so need to use that organic mix. As to the "where", technically you can grow the rhizomes you get at the store...though I'd go organic, some treat the rhizomes with a chemical to retard sprouting. The big problem is a disease called bacterial wilt, the store bought rhizomes may be carriers; the farmers harvest around the affected area since the ginger is safe to eat, but plant it and it can infect your soil. I use a grower that guarantees his seed is disease free. Orders are placed in November and he ships Feb/March.

When we were in KS last August, my wife went to the Saturday market in Lawrence and said it seemed to be a pretty happenin' place, are you near to it?
      Lawrence is about 2:30 hours from me, I don't like to go that far. But if it is for higher value, it would by worth it. There also maybe some market for it in Wichita.
      At least my tomatoes are selling well so far.

I would have to grow it in the ground and not in pots, in order for it qualify to be grown in the high tunnel. But I do have a few greenhouse frames that I picked up cheap and haven't had the time to put up et, so I could use those.

Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by FIT BMX; 07-25-2016 at 08:31 PM.
      Gallagher.

kate chopin.

Feeling:
      Amused

Lol...I don't know my Midwest distances, but we are rural as well and I know I would never come close to getting the price I get in Zolfo Springs that we do in Sarasota and St. Pete, but they are both between 1:30 and 1:45...2:30 would give me second thoughts.

That aside, clean ginger seed is fairly trouble free to grow. The whole evolutionary point of the aromatic oils is an insect repellent. < g > Growing in the ground is far and away the normal. But our soil isn't normal...it is sand. Dries quickly, leaches nutrients constantly and about the only thing that grows well are root knot nematodes. To grow crops in the ground in south Florida requires soil fumigants and that ain't my style. But I did try some in the ground last year and the first picture is turmeric that regrew, the second is our "soil" and the third and fourth show how much better they perform for me in bag mix.

Anyway....personal preference has me expanding turmeric production and keeping the status quo on ginger. Look at the bloom, how do you not want to grow that. Point is, if things go as planned...depending how much you are looking for I should be able to provide you with certified organic "seed" ginger next spring ( think potato eyes ), if you need more than I think I have surplus, I can connect you with a large organic grower. Either way, I am happy to help.

Actually very happy.....another hippy-dippy grower stopped by to visit today and get some of my medicinal plants....Curcuma caesia and Kaempferia parviflora mostly...and he is friendly with a retired grower from Singapore gardens that has a collection of rare, edible gingers and we are planning a trip soon to visit the gentleman.

Before I forget....here is the PDF I mentioned. Should give you some insight into the hows of growing and the seed to harvest ratio. http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freep...CFS-GIN-3A.pdf

Hope all this helps, but there is a bit of a family crisis so after manana, I need to be in NC for an as yet undetermined amount of time. I won't be ignoring you...just not available to reply.

Craig

is is with BLM!

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much!
      Ginger would look great in a landscape, I sometimes forget just how pretty it is!
      I would definitely be interested in buy some ginger seed from you for next spring. I have always loved to grow things out of the ordinary, That doesn't mean I am good at it, but I do like it! LOL
      Hope all will be well with your family. and thanks again.
      Gallagher.

kate chopin.

Feeling:
      Amused

The plants pictured have been turmeric; ginger looks more like bamboo. I have one more trip to make to NC, when I get back I'll add ginger plant pictures. Even with a high tunnel, I doubt you can grow turmeric....for the most part, you have to figure ten months to mature. But I think in the southern tier, even as ornamental, it is a prettier plant than banana and less pest prone than Canna. No idea why more people don't grow it in shady pond side areas.

Her is a picture to give you a size reference. Not a small plant, even with you account for the 24" tall pots. < g >

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007