• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: koi all nose against the wall?

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

koi all nose against the wall?

I am at a resort in AZ on spring break. Where we are staying they have a koi pond. Looks seriously overstocked and on the verge of trouble. One of the things I saw that I have never seen before- almost all of the fish are lined against one side of the pond and all are nose/mouth up against the wall. Sitting pretty still.
      I saw one jump/breach in just a few minutes (one that was not sitting still by the wall) and one sitting fins clamped. Also a tumor on one.
      I might chit chat with the owner tomorrow and see if I can share some health concerns without offending them.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Please do.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Sounds problematic indeed. Are they all lined up like that with at least their heads/faces in the shade/ Wonder too what the temps are!?!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      I am at a resort in AZ on spring break. Where we are staying they have a koi pond. Looks seriously overstocked and on the verge of trouble. One of the things I saw that I have never seen before- almost all of the fish are lined against one side of the pond and all are nose/mouth up against the wall. Sitting pretty still.
      I saw one jump/breach in just a few minutes (one that was not sitting still by the wall) and one sitting fins clamped. Also a tumor on one.
      I might chit chat with the owner tomorrow and see if I can share some health concerns without offending them.
      Without even seeing the situation I would advise a 50% or more reduction of stock. Then, in keeping with GAAP, I would further investigate the filtration and total gallons/liters versus the population. Then follow that up with an examination of the aeration available to the stock. Nearly every pond in a hotel or otherwise commercial operation, the stocking is much over-done and the availability of oxygen is limited. Once that is done, and examination via microscope for parasites would be advisable, and having adequate amounts of treatments as well as injectable antibiotics would be needed.

As it has been said before,"let it be".

Enjoy your surroundings and let things be. Probably the only thing to do.

Karl
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think you are right Karl, things look rough for those fish but not right for me to butt in uninvited.
      They have one of those feeders where tourists put in a quarter and get to feed them. Wow. Saw a girl put several quarters in and give them a weeks worth of food. Water temps have got to be below 50 too.

Well, the red rocks are beautiful. Gonna mind my own business.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Sounds problematic indeed. Are they all lined up like that with at least their heads/faces in the shade/ Wonder too what the temps are!?!
      They had their heads up against the sunny side (late afternoon) of the pool. We were in a canyon where the temps were cool. They may have been trying to catch that last bit of sun. Or I wondered if the water was a little better right in front of the carpet algae that had been in the sun. Water temps had to be below 50. Back in a shaded canyon. Lots of water going over a waterfall all night.

Either way, just curious, I am gone now and not gonna worry about it.

KoiValley is offline WWKC Lifetime Diamond Member #3
      is terrific!

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      I think you are right Karl, things look rough for those fish but not right for me to butt in uninvited.
      They have one of those feeders where tourists put in a quarter and get to feed them. Wow. Saw a girl put several quarters in and give them a weeks worth of food. Water temps have got to be below 50 too.

Well, the red rocks are beautiful. Gonna mind my own business.
      It is nice that you were immediately able to identify some and probably most of the problems. I have been in a very similar situation and had my head bit off by an idiot. Nothing like being helpful and then trying to find a way out of the place.....as fast as possible!

And I was staying at the place!

Karl
      Karl Schoeler, founder: EIHIOICGI

Certified: AKCA Better Health Practices December 2008

Windsong Acres is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I appreciate the concern about butting in uninvited. On the other hand, I think for any of us who get in a similar situation, taking the approach of a friendly conversation between two people who are interested in koi… Since there are not all that many of us in most places….might soon lead to a conversation about the problems the koi are having and the opportunity to help If they don't realize there is anything wrong, then unfortunately they aren't likely to want or be receptive to any suggestions. But if they have already lost a fish or two and are concerned about it, they might welcome any possible ideas that might help.
      Last edited by Windsong Acres; 04-17-2017 at 11:39 PM.
      My Current 13,000 gallon Pond Build: https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ot-in-Illinois

More info about our renovated barns and ponds: www.WindsongAcres.org

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I have seen a similar situation at a resort in Hawaii. they are feeding the koi on lava rocks and all the koi were very beaten up. my grandma said my grandson said your koi are not healthy. I got a little red in the face and just walked away. I can't control giving you food packets or quarter machines lol

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007