• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Lightning struck koi this summer

Mark Anderson is offline Senior Member ~ CKK in Training
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lightning struck koi this summer

Has anyone had this happen? In September we had a bad storm and lightning struck the utility pole next to our main pond, blowing out the transformer and cutting off power up and down the street. The next day the power company replaced the transformer and I was really worried about the koi. Sure enough my favorite and most valuable 32" female Sanke suddenly had a kinked spine. I didnt think she would survive but to my surprise she has managed to pull through although still with the kink. She swims fairly well unless startled whereas she swims quickly in a large circle. She eats well and otherwise acts normally. None of the other fish were affected by the lightning strike thankfully(but one of my German Shepherds was in the garage laying near the service entrance and was shocked and burned pretty badly on his leg, he's ok now) My question is to anyone who has had or heard of this happening and the possibilities of this koi still being able to breed? She was a great breeder.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have had several threads about this, one I believe this summer. Do a search for lightning strikes and see if it comes up for you.
      Nancy

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

A physical defect after birth should have no impact on the off spring. If she eggs up still, breed away. Given her new condition and for safety though, I would consider hand stripping her of the eggs once spawning activity begins and then milt the partners. I would then give her a day or two in a separate tank to drop the last of any eggs left without the boys going after her.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
      Has anyone had this happen? In September we had a bad storm and lightning struck the utility pole next to our main pond, blowing out the transformer and cutting off power up and down the street. The next day the power company replaced the transformer and I was really worried about the koi. Sure enough my favorite and most valuable 32" female Sanke suddenly had a kinked spine. I didnt think she would survive but to my surprise she has managed to pull through although still with the kink. She swims fairly well unless startled whereas she swims quickly in a large circle. She eats well and otherwise acts normally. None of the other fish were affected by the lightning strike thankfully(but one of my German Shepherds was in the garage laying near the service entrance and was shocked and burned pretty badly on his leg, he's ok now) My question is to anyone who has had or heard of this happening and the possibilities of this koi still being able to breed? She was a great breeder.
      Not lightening but I had an accident with power feeding my well pump grounding to the casing of the well... and of course it apparently hit my Miss Piggy, a 35" Chagoi. She doesn't
      have a curved spine, but the swimming erratically when startled sounds very familiar.
      I consulted a vet here locally who is experienced with koi and he said it's not unusual for the largest one to take the majority of the voltage compared to the others (I also had 6 other
      fish in the pond that were completely unaffected). His only advise was to watch and she might get better... she might not. Nothing I could really do either way. She resides in the
      800 gallon Intex pool in my garage.
      I'm curious if your Sanke swims anything like she does?

https://youtu.be/HYHPK5aYAlk

I hope mine improves as yours have!
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

kdh is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Steve, why do you not have a koi buddy with her?

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I'm sorry, I do... I just didn't mention it. He's ugly but follows her everywhere and won't leave her side.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Mark Anderson is offline Senior Member ~ CKK in Training
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

[QUOTE]
      Not lightening but I had an accident with power feeding my well pump grounding to the casing of the well... and of course it apparently hit my Miss Piggy, a 35" Chagoi. She doesn't
      have a curved spine, but the swimming erratically when startled sounds very familiar.
      I consulted a vet here locally who is experienced with koi and he said it's not unusual for the largest one to take the majority of the voltage compared to the others (I also had 6 other
      fish in the pond that were completely unaffected). His only advise was to watch and she might get better... she might not. Nothing I could really do either way. She resides in the
      800 gallon Intex pool in my garage.
      I'm curious if your Sanke swims anything like she does?

She swims more in a circular motion when startled like she is trying to swim forward but cant control her movements, otherwise slightly one sided. She also seems to seek my attention more, and has a great appetite.
      A physical defect after birth should have no impact on the off spring. If she eggs up still, breed away. Given her new condition and for safety though, I would consider hand stripping her of the eggs once spawning activity begins and then milt the partners. I would then give her a day or two in a separate tank to drop the last of any eggs left without the boys going after her.
      Those were my thoughts exactly. I am sure she will egg up but I worry about impaction and her inability to spawn naturally. Good input, thanks.

totallyvictorian is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

[QUOTE=Mark Anderson;2537115]

She swims more in a circular motion when startled like she is trying to swim forward but cant control her movements, otherwise slightly one sided. She also seems to seek my attention more, and has a great appetite. Those were my thoughts exactly. I am sure she will egg up but I worry about impaction and her inability to spawn naturally. Good input, thanks.
      That's exactly how my Yamabuki swam after being struck by lightning. She got better after a couple years and swims naturally now. Good Luck with your's.

Pam

Montgomery County Water Garden Society
      Clarksville, Tn

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by totallyvictorian View Post
      That's exactly how my Yamabuki swam after being struck by lightning. She got better after a couple years and swims naturally now. Good Luck with your's.
      That's great to hear, and encouraging. Last November, I had posted details of my summer 2015 lightning event in post #17 of https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ight=lightning

The 3 of mine that were injured but survived are presently in similar in condition to how I described them in that post, which told of one that has almost fully recovered. Also, my female asagi has a great appetite, and I plan to give her lots of time to see if she can straighten up.

Several years ago, we had lightning strike 100 feet from the pond, and the only koi injured was one of the smaller ones. Also this time, the 5 injured were a variety of sizes, and several of the largest ones were unharmed. From this limited experience, I don't think the size of the koi has a lot to do with whether they get injured by lightning.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007