• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Winter time filter project

cahriad is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Winter time filter project

I shut down my 2000 gallon puddle for the winter and I am looking for a garage project to complete before spring. Currently I have a Skippy running bio. I made the mistake of not incorporating a BD when I built so I am looking to add a retrofit BD through some sort of filter as a separate circuit. Money is tight so here is my plan.

1. Build a 55 gallon Birdman's S & G and connect it to the BD. Suction would have to come over the edge of the pond as I do not want to disturb the liner or out of the skimmer.

2. Send the output of the S & G to a 55 gallon Birdman's fluid bed filter with Ultra media.

3. Return the output of the fluid bed to the pond. The whole filter system would at pond level with the output from the filter at the barrel outlet maybe 3' above the water level. Is this height sufficient to run TPR's ?

I was thinking a PerformancePro Artesian2 A2-1/4-58 would be sufficient for the separate filter circuit.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by cahriad View Post
      I shut down my 2000 gallon puddle for the winter and I am looking for a garage project to complete before spring. Currently I have a Skippy running bio. I made the mistake of not incorporating a BD when I built so I am looking to add a retrofit BD through some sort of filter as a separate circuit. Money is tight so here is my plan.

1. Build a 55 gallon Birdman's S & G and connect it to the BD. Suction would have to come over the edge of the pond as I do not want to disturb the liner or out of the skimmer.

2. Send the output of the S & G to a 55 gallon Birdman's fluid bed filter with Ultra media.

3. Return the output of the fluid bed to the pond. The whole filter system would at pond level with the output from the filter at the barrel outlet maybe 3' above the water level. Is this height sufficient to run TPR's ?

I was thinking a PerformancePro Artesian2 A2-1/4-58 would be sufficient for the separate filter circuit.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
      The retro BD would need to be plumbed to a pump before the s/g filter as it needs to be pump fed.
      The height over pond level to gravity return the tprs would depend on the amount of flow, number of tprs, size and fittings of the plumbing
      to the tprs, etc.
      Sometimes a simple drawing describing your plan with elevations and the like will help others make suggestions.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

cahriad is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      The retro BD would need to be plumbed to a pump before the s/g filter as it needs to be pump fed.
      The height over pond level to gravity return the tprs would depend on the amount of flow, number of tprs, size and fittings of the plumbing
      to the tprs, etc.
      Sometimes a simple drawing describing your plan with elevations and the like will help others make suggestions.
      This is what I had in mind with probably a total flow of around 2,000gph. Filters and pump about 1' above water level. Pond is 5 foot deep with plant benches at 1' and 2'. Everything would be plumbed in 2" sch40.

Thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007