• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Added Rio grande red sliders to koi pond in separate basin, salmonella concerns?

Sylmar-ca-koi-n-turtles is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Added Rio grande red sliders to koi pond in separate basin, salmonella concerns?

Added Rio grande red sliders to koi pond in separate basin, trying to learn and understand about salmonella concerns.

We have a 700 gallon pond and separate turtle basin with biological filtration only.

The water and fish are stable and healthy and we just added the turtles, 5 of them this past Sunday.

We have a slight waterfall slowing water into the turtles pond, and that water cycles into the koi pond.

Oxenagation should be good, the fish stay below water for long periods, occasionally stay in the caves\ crevasses
      For long periods of time, and have had no losses in over 3 months, the pond has been running for about 6 months.

There is a 'stream' about 3' wide, 15' long with a fair amount of water agitation leading into a wider water fall, dropping
      Into the koi pond, that same stream allows water over to the turtle pond and that slight water fall there.

Water quality is super clear, I am using an ultra violet UV filter, water testing weekly, again stab!e.

I am using 'pond blocks' to keep the algae in check..... (Looking to regulate that better bybother means eventually).

The pond is for the home and family, 3 kids and 2 parents and of course guests.....

I hope that is useful general info on the setup, please let me know if I need to share more.

I have a minor understanding of salmonella, and now that I've gone this route with the turtles, we understand about handling
      The turtles directly, and washing our hands religiously, so we got that part down.

What about the who eco-sphere of everything together and salmonella?

Does The entire pond now have salmonella in it?

Any and all contact with any water or surface which came into contact with the pond water not exposed to salmonella?

I'd like to think I'm not paranoid, but like many things I want to have the proper respect for salmonella.

I've been bouncing around the net, reading all kinds of articles, posts, and general info however my interpretation of it all, is that
      It's all over the place and I can't seem to reach an satisfactory understanding.

Would appreciate some help with this, from this group.

Thank you!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      As long as you wash your hands or glove up if you have cuts, shouldn't be a problem with Salmonella. http://ideas.health.vic.gov.au/disea...e-handling.asp

The problem I would worry about would be if the turtles carry any parasites or bacteria. Turtles are pretty messy. Will you be doing water changes since you just have biological filtration?

Would love to see pics.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the link, it is in-line with much of what I have discovered thus far.

Yes, washing hands is understood, and is already in use and yes I plan on gloving up
      when I am doing any of the maintenance, and or general 'futzing with the layout' that
      of course we're going through over time.

Pictures? Yes I will be happy to share, I am a bit of a perfectionist, so I haven't been
      sharing too many pics during the development stages, so please bare with me as we
      get closer to the goal, I won't say 'finish line' as I feel this will never end.... in a good way

I suppose i'm going to have to take some sort of Class or something to better understand not
      only Salmonella, but as you mentioned, Parasites and Bacteria and how we can all co-exist.

I did obtain the Turtles from a local shop, which has been in busy for more years than I can
      remember, I never dealt with them until this Sunday, but I got a very good vibe from them, and
      they were running a nice shop.

Exotic Life Fish & Reptiles

http://www.exoticlifefishandreptilesla.com

I guess my broadest concern, is if salmonella is just everywhere now in the pond, and
      if anyone just touches the pond water, are they 'exposed' to it?

Yes washing after the contact takes care of it, but there are also other conditions
      people may have which may make them more susceptible to salmonella and other
      issues, like you mentioned, parasites, bacteria, etc...

Until now people have been freely placing their fingers/hands in the water, or if i've
      been working in/around the pond/stream, we'll be barefoot/shorts, getting wet...

Is having the turtles the end of that?

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

A pond is a veritable soup of bacteria and other bio species. I am not aware of salmonella being an issue except when hands go to mouth to carry it internal. I periodically go into my pond to clean, prune, or make repairs and have not had any issues, but when I come out, I take a shower, as I seem to get some form of swimmers itch if I don't. There have been some reported bacteria that have proven fatal gotten supposedly from a persons pond, but I have only seen it reported once or twice worldwide, so I don't worry too much. Good immune systems and good wash before eating are best defenses.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Rich, more or less this has been my understanding, and what I have been practicing before the introduction of the Turtles.

I appreciate the time and input cindy, yourself and others will hopefully continue to provide.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Taking a class? Have I got a link for you www.koiorganisationinternational.org check out Koi 101 Its free, just sign up. We just gave away scholarships for the CKK course (certified koi keeper).

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
      Taking a class? Have I got a link for you www.koiorganisationinternational.org check out Koi 101 Its free, just sign up. We just gave away scholarships for the CKK course (certified koi keeper).
      Thanks for the link, i'm a "member" and working on the Koi 101 as we speak.

thanks again!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Sylmar-ca-koi-n-turtles View Post
      Thanks for the link, i'm a "member" and working on the Koi 101 as we speak.

thanks again!
      Learned something valuable already!

"feeding and temperature are related"

Pond has been up and running about 6 months, stable for over 4, but these last few days where it has been anywhere near 'cold' (as in below 70 in So. California) and we did notice
      there was a change in their behavior, and started to worry that maybe something was wrong, since we added the turtles, this past sunday.

Overall they seem fine, and act normally, but they have been a whole lot less interested in eating, we had been feeding twice a day, what they can eat within a few minutes,
      and we don't over feed, and don't let that accumulate in the pond/skimmer, and ammonia is almost always ZERO or barely readable for, and I take the water into a local shop
      at least once a month to confirm.

Anyhow, after learning about reducing the amount and only feeding once, because we have had temperatures down to 50, so we wont be feeding them this afternoon/early evening,
      and feeding them less as well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007