• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servicing Evolution Pumps

Jojoartie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Servicing Evolution Pumps

A quick question:

My Evolution ES8500 became a victim to the recent storm this past weekend. It did not get submerged but i think it got clogged from debris that got in past the sieve. The pump was not pushing much when i went out between torrents so i immediately unplugged it. After the storm, i drained and vacuumed out the sieve. Refilled and plugged the pump back in. Makes noise but not pushing any water now.

Question: Is there anyone that might be able to service this pump and determine if it could be repaired?
      Is it worth it?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

take the pump out of the circuit and then with the pump unplugged remove the pump cover and make sure nothing is in the veins of the impeller. if nothing is clogging the impeller then i would try to run the pump on another circuit maybe there is something clogging the line between the sieve and pump
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

pearlharborday is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

as long as it didn't seize up...bearings can be replaced easily....$8-15 bucks for the set on the motor. of course ,easy if you are good with mechanical things like kwick said,, need to pull face plate of the volute and make sure veins of the impeller are clogged up. and check the slinger. if worn out , water is making it's way into the outlet part of the volute. I happen to have complete wet ends for sale in the trader. ..how long they'll last is another question

johnhubbs is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As suggested above, first step in troubleshooting would be to connect to another, known good, power source and attempt to run. From your description, it appears pump is running, but not flowing anywhere close to it's advertised gph.
      After completing above steps, I would unplug and uncouple pump and place on workbench or like in a well lite area and check impeller for obstructions and possible internal seal issues. I have two ESBB10500 pumps, which are two stage centrifugal. I don't believe the ES8500 is two stage, but if it is, you should check for leakage between them. In my ESBB10500, this is just an o-ring and does deteriorate with time and usage.
      Here are photos of mine during a rebuild. Yours should be somewhat similar.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is pump removed from leaf trap assembly. Just six bolts to get this apart. You can see the second stage here. If you look closely, you can see the basket on the left. These pumps had been out of use for two years when pictures were taken. You will notice, you don't see the actual pump impeller in this photo, as it is hidden by the second stage vanes.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This photo shows the first stage and pump impeller. This is where you might find debris and is always someplace to check for wear or build-up when pump flow rate has diminished.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is pump going back together. White stuff is just o-ring grease I use as I reassemble pumps. I also changed these pumps over from 120vac operation to 240vac operation. This drops the current draw in half, which is easier on the pump and lowers your running cost. If anyone is interested, a seperate discussion could be raised on voltage and running efficiancies of 120 versus 240 vac. This would only apply to North America...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Pearl and Kwickcut for your suggestions. However, i am new to pumps and have no idea what any of the words you used mean. I am definitely a visual learner so JohnHubbs, i appreciate the pics.

So to any of you, i do not have a leaf trap so i will just be removing screws then and looking straight at impellers i suppose. I will check for crap trapped inside there and reattach and try. But do i need to lubricate anything before i reattach?
      Also, when i'm looking for leakage in seals, would this be water or a lubricant of some sort?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pearlharborday View Post
      as long as it didn't seize up...bearings can be replaced easily....$8-15 bucks for the set on the motor. of course ,easy if you are good with mechanical things like kwick said,, need to pull face plate of the volute and make sure veins of the impeller are clogged up. and check the slinger. if worn out , water is making it's way into the outlet part of the volute. I happen to have complete wet ends for sale in the trader. ..how long they'll last is another question

What does the "slinger" look like? And where would the bearings be located?
      Also, what would it sould like if it "siezed" on me?

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jojoartie View Post
      What does the "slinger" look like? And where would the bearings be located?
      Also, what would it sould like if it "siezed" on me?

Why not just take it to a pool pump repair shop. I had my old Sequence rebuilt for less than 100$

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymeseywaymsey View Post
      Why not just take it to a pool pump repair shop. I had my old Sequence rebuilt for less than 100$
      Although there are some knowledgeable posts provided to attempt to assist, it would require some working knowledge of how things are really put together. I think, in this case, James's suggestion is the best. Find a pump shop near you and have them repair it as necessary. Or, you could call Advantage Manufacturing at 800-636-8866. I'm sure they could help if a pump repair shop is not in your area.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes mike, as i stated earlier, i'm not mechanically inclined. I'll have to do some more research on service shops. I have been asking some of the local koi shops and no luck yet with finding a pump repair. Was hoping some of the other members here in my area might know of someone. I've got to think its worth trying to repair, even if i end up using it as a backup pump, no?

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

I would just do a "google search" for your area and see what pops up. Yes, it should be worth repairing, and purchasing a new one would allow you to have a back up which is ALWAYS a good idea, for situations just like this. It would certainly take less time to change the pump out for another one and then find a source for repair. Your pond doesn't suffer the consequences of having to be down while you wait.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

In addition to pond pump repair facilities, look at swim pool pump repair, spa pump repair, or just pump repair. There is very little difference in many of the pumps used in swimming pool applications, except motor speed, and those in pond pumps.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

any pump repair shop should do..................and you need a leaf trap,,,,no matter what anyone says. even with the sieve it's a second line of defense

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have the aquaforte ultrasieve iii. you think i should still place a leaf trap after it?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jojoartie View Post
      I have the aquaforte ultrasieve iii. you think i should still place a leaf trap after it?
      leaf trap attaches to the inlet of the pump

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

to comment of John Hubbs post. the ESBB is not a 2 stage centrifugal pump . it is a self priming pump. the piece that covers the impeller is called the diffuser. the diffuser is used to create the prime in the large volute. the ES series are true centrifugal pump ....the volute is directional and uses a slinger to keep the inlet and outlet water from mixing

Pond James_Pond is offline Senior Member
      is Let 'em eat Manda Foo!

Feeling:
      Friendly

This has happened to my pump from time to time; I had a bag of bacti-twist laying in the sump of my sieve for extra bio, and to act as a splash diffuser to lessen the bubbles getting to the pump. A couple times however a small string of bact-twist would break free and make it to the pump. The tiny bits of algae would cling to that and the flow would gradually diminish. The simple fix is to turn off the pump and close all valves. Then disconnect the pump inlet pipe. Take a look in there and you might see the obstruction. Then, open the valve on the outlet side of the pump and let pond water flow backwards through the pump. That's where you're going to see (hopefully) the glob of junk come out the inlet side of the pump. Do this before you take it for the bearings to be rebuilt!

steve

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pond,James_Pond View Post
      Then, open the valve on the outlet side of the pump and let pond water flow backwards through the pump. That's where you're going to see (hopefully) the glob of junk come out the inlet side of the pump. steve
      While doing this back flush, cycle the power to the pump a second or so, a couple of times.
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast