• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: N. pulchella and Friend

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

N. pulchella and Friend

A few years back, a friend on St. Croix had sent me a lily he called 'Nymphaea ampla', but when it grew out, it struck me as different, so I sent pictures to Kit, who then forwarded them to Dr. John Wiersma and he confirmed the plant was actually a related species, N. puchella, once considered a subspecies of ampla. Anyway....I treated it as though it was ampla, but it didn't tuber as prolifically for me and I thought I had lost it. A few weeks ago I flooded a dried pond and the submerged foliage of a seedling caught my eye. It grew out to be puchella!

That and the species plants I horse traded for at the symposium in KC...it is shaping up to be a good year. I'd love to start a thread on the symposium, but I was so busy talking to breeders/growers, I got loads of info but never took a single photo. Information exchange-wise speaking? One of the best collection of knowledgeable people I have had the pleasure to run of at the mouth with. Didn't even stop in KC, as it happens a couple of us were on the same flight to Atlanta.< g >

Coming home, I found this baby gopher in the road...still has the egg tooth. Got him out of the road and will release him in the morning.
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Back from the dead! What a treat. Glad the event was fun. Any Kansas beer of note?

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

There was a brew pub just a hop, skip and stumble from the hotel...Free State Brewery. Over the course of four days, I tried a couple flights and for the most part the beers were good to very good, but not outstanding. I enjoyed their Storm Chaser IPA and my wife liked the 'Cherry Bomb' porter....they had a decent oatmeal stout but nothing rivaled Founders or Bells. I didn't even try their 'sessionable' ipa, if I wanted a watered down beer, I'd drink bud. They did have a nice black IPA, but at 10% abv, I held after the sample in the flight. < g >

Mostly it was the companionship that made the event so enjoyable. Got to meet old friends, friends I knew from email only....even a fellow KP member. Rich Sacher and his life partner, Kevin, are always delightful and we got to see Rich's N.'Betty Lou',a compact ( 5 ft spread ) Aussie x colorata, which hopefully FAN will release next year. Brad, from FAN, didn't show till Saturday, but we had a lot of time to talk....we were even on the same flight to Atlanta, so more time. < g > I was pleased to hear they want to be sure my hybrids aren't lost due to my retirement, so I will send them propagating stock. In return? In discussing future plans we are both after a moptop vivip and more true blue lilies. So.....he is sending me some of his vivips. I told him the horror story from earlier this summer when a friend of mine tried to buy me a Carla's Sonshine' from an online vendor...only to get Winch's 'Sunshine' and a load of attitude. Luckily, I was in the position to send pics of the plant to Brandon for her and he immediately recognized the fraud. That info was forwarded to the seller, who then took the full responsibility and blamed it on his "assistant". < g >

Anyway, it was a great event. I am re-energized and have fertile vivips coming from FAN ( I am no fool and know he must be at least one step ahead of me, but then I have been working on true blues for years < g >. Plants coming from TX, new species coming from CA.....an enjoyable event for sure!

The pictures are just a little disappointment for the day. I had an incredible array of first day blooms, but I had to take a cat to the vet and by the time I got home, the bees from my neighbor's hives had stripped all the pollen for today....on the bright side....only a three day set back. < g >
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That sounds awesome Craig it is so nice to be around people with the same passions. I am looking forward to 'Betty Lou' i saw a FAN blurb about it. Glad you and the Mrs. Got to try some new brews. Speaking of blue it is my goal to make some blue hxts. I think i made a cross this year that has a shot. Hybridizing will never get old to me it is so much fun. You will achieve mopvip!

Adi2136 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hey Craig, what do you mean by moptop vivip ?

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007