• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts....Should they stay or should they go

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Thoughts....Should they stay or should they go

I had made a few purchases in March and I am debating which ones to get rid of. August starts a nice cool down here where growing temps get more ideal. I would like to remove a few to give more room to the keepers. Here they are with some thoughts. Please share your thoughts.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

This Kohaku was purchased at 7 inches in March and is up to 14 already. Pattern seems stable. The second step has some beni in front of it that is hidden down in the layers and should be visible in the pictures. I am leaning more towards keeping it, but still debating it.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by jimfish98; 08-04-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

This Kohaku was also purchased in March at 6 inches and has grown to 14. The pattern is a bit distracting on the front end. Skin is not that great. I am leaning towards re-homing it.
      Last edited by jimfish98; 08-04-2015 at 01:37 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

This was a Kohaku and then it got a blaring sumi spot on its head. Its grown from 7 inches to 12.5 since it was purchased in March. That spot was its downfall and it will likely get re-homed as I do not see any additional sumi coming in on it. I had higher hopes on this one.
      Last edited by jimfish98; 08-04-2015 at 01:39 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

This Kohaku is getting a sumi spot as well, same breeder and same parent stock, so I fear its an inherited trait. This one however was purchased two years ago at 6 inches and is now 17.5 inches. Between the mark and it being a male, I am leaning towards letting it go.
      Last edited by jimfish98; 08-04-2015 at 01:41 PM.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Last but not least is this guy. Technically I believe its still a Tancho. My thoughts when purchasing it was to expect the beni to retract or look smaller as it grew. Its grown from 5 to 10 inches since March. I am most tempted to keep this one to see where it goes.
      Last edited by jimfish98; 08-04-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hmm, I think I like the body best on your almost sumi spot kid. Of all of them, that would likely be the keeper for me. I am not a fan of Menkaburi patterns especially on Kohaku and Sanke. Showa can pull it off sometimes but it's still not ideal. I know they are not considered desirable in Japan as it's a less refined beni pattern and considered something of a throwback, pattern-wise.

http://www.coloradokoi.com/kohaku.htm

Btw, I should also add that the ones that have the hooded beni pattern also have the lesser head conformation IMO.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      This Kohaku was also purchased in March at 6 inches and has grown to 14. The pattern is a bit distracting on the front end. Skin is not that great. I am leaning towards re-homing it.

I think this one is the best.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

frankl is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jim, let them go..... Good choice..... Let you other ones have more space.........

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I think this one is the best.
      I forgot to mention a bigger issue with this one which has it on the re-home list, its going to lose a lot of beni. The photos cover the area with ripples, but it can be seen a bit in the first one. The whole area in the circle is going to likely go. Its been fading in intensity and I suspect it will create an even more unpleasant pattern.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Hmm, I think I like the body best on your almost sumi spot kid. Of all of them, that would likely be the keeper for me. I am not a fan of Menkaburi patterns especially on Kohaku and Sanke. Showa can pull it off sometimes but it's still not ideal. I know they are not considered desirable in Japan as it's a less refined beni pattern and considered something of a throwback, pattern-wise.

http://www.coloradokoi.com/kohaku.htm

Btw, I should also add that the ones that have the hooded beni pattern also have the lesser head conformation IMO.
      After looking back, I notice the heads a lot more. I focus on the rest of the body so much, sometimes that gets ignored.

I think it would be more of a contender to keep if it didn't have the sumi spot coming in. Like the other, your eye focuses on that spot and it becomes a visual distraction.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by frankl View Post
      Jim, let them go..... Good choice..... Let you other ones have more space.........
      It might be the final plan. I am going to have to look hard for a good one come March. Pickings were slim this year as anything good seemed to be gone early unless you had a larger budget.

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'd get rid of the 1rst and 3rd and go from there, but that is just my preference.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      I forgot to mention a bigger issue with this one which has it on the re-home list, its going to lose a lot of beni. The photos cover the area with ripples, but it can be seen a bit in the first one. The whole area in the circle is going to likely go. Its been fading in intensity and I suspect it will create an even more unpleasant pattern.

Then none of them are worth keeping for any reason. Each fish may have something 'decent' about it but they all have enough other issues that they will never become more than they are now. Even the Tancho is done. The body is not going to get better and will look worse as it gets bigger.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Spartan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think the beni on all but the tancho seems a bit more tangerine colored, which I do not find appealing. All from the same breeder? Who?
      I will say that your feeding regimen continues to be consistent in building mass!

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

All of them are Purdin except one from Ogata.

secuono is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would keep the 1st and last one for now, rest sell off.

Bamboo is offline Member
      is Ready

Feeling:
      Bemused

Even the ones your opting to not keep are good looking fish. What really impressed me is how you get them to grow 6 or seven inches so fast. In a few words how do you do that.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
      Even the ones your opting to not keep are good looking fish. What really impressed me is how you get them to grow 6 or seven inches so fast. In a few words how do you do that.
      A big factor is genetics. The koi that make it to the pond were bred to be a specific breed, their parents were paired for specific reasons, etc. I have some fish that grow slow and put on 4-5 inches each year for the first couple years, and one that even put on 13 inches in one year. It has to be in them to grow to get good size out of them.

The biggest factor I have control over is water quality. My pond is cycled 2.5 times an hour through a 100 micron sieve to a multi-cyclone. Combined it does a great job on removing waste. The water hits a UV filter at a sanitizing flow rate and then dumps into a shower with cermedia to take care of all of my biological filtration. I use a large air pump to keep the water well oxygenated even in the high FL heat. I also make sure the filters are cleaned well weekly and complete a roughly 50% water change at the same time. My goal with the set up is to make sure waste is removed and kept out of the water stream and my biological to be able to handle a high volume of fish at a high feeding rate, even if volume and feeding rate are always lower. Most people who see it think its over kill.

Beyond that the only other factor would be food. I use a mix of three brands that do not negatively impact my water quality and provide a buffet of sorts. I do not subscribe to a one food does it all methodology. The brands used are good quality and the mix allows the Koi's intake to vary with every feeding so their diet is not always the same and something their system can get used to.

Bamboo is offline Member
      is Ready

Feeling:
      Bemused

Thank you. I will never stop learning with this interest.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast