• Tired

Thread: Snail and plant tank

My2butterflies is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Snail and plant tank

Hello😊
      I got my first tank a couple months ago. I started out with hornwort, fanwart, one trapdoor snail, and a few comets.
      Well the comets died😕 Ich got a hold of them and treatment didn't even make a dent.
      So now I have a plant and snail tank. I also noticed that eggs must have been on my plants when I brought them in from the pond. I now have well over 45 tinny tiny spiral snails in addition to two adult trapdoors and two new baby trapdoors.
      All this in a 20gl Tank.

Just in the past week and a half brown (diatom?) algae has taken over. Before that it's been perfectly clean. I scrap the sides down weekly and vacuum 1/3-1/2 of the rock and change 20% of the water. Now I haven't clean it in a couple of weeks since seeing all the snails. I didn't want to remove their "food" since I have so many in there now. What should I do? Scrap, vacuum, and clean away knowing I'll loose snails in the process? Or just hope they can get a handle on the algae?

Or maybe just clean one side a week? Just curious if there is a right way to go about cleaning a snail tank.
      I included a tank picture and a couple pictures of the larger spiral snails. Most of them are much smaller then that. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  75.4 KB
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  70.6 KB
      Name:  image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  69.8 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Tony&koi is offline Senior Member
      is A guy with his fishes.

Feeling:
      Friendly

what is your purpose of the snails? They can produce a lot quicker than you could imagine.
      For algae, since you do not have soil, nutrient is not the thing. so, i could only think about lighting. does the tank get direct sunlight? or does it get more than 8 hrs/day from you light?cutting lighting would reduce algae.
      Tony

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's in my sun room so it gets sun light. Not really direct sunlight since I pull the white shades down to keep it from getting hot. They are in there to eat the algae. How fast to they reproduce? The trapdoors only do twice a year from what I've read. The spirals I have no clue.

Tony&koi is offline Senior Member
      is A guy with his fishes.

Feeling:
      Friendly

It may look like just a new tank syndrome with algae.I might just keep up with water change to keep water clear.
      I personally don't like snails cuz most of them reproduce so quick and then they get to my filter impeller and damage it.However, i have assassin snails to keep those other snails in control.
      Tony

*Ci* is offline Administrator
      is enjoying the fall weather

Feeling:
      Happy

No matter what type of fauna you keep in that tank, fish or snails, it would be very difficult to syphon the mulm and debris from the crevices in that chunky substrate. I can't think of any situation where rocks like those would be acceptable.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by GoldieGirl View Post
      No matter what type of fauna you keep in that tank, fish or snails, it would be very difficult to syphon the mulm and debris from the crevices in that chunky substrate. I can't think of any situation where rocks like those would be acceptable.
      Agreed! Haha
      When I set the tank up I just used what rock I had on hand left over from a fountain. Being my first tank set up I didn't think about how it would hinder cleaning. I'll be replacing it when I do a complete tank clean out.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I did my clean out and removed all that chunky rock and replaced it with aquarium gravel. This tank is a bit of an experiment for me. So far my plants are doing well(the small rocks make them stay in place so much better) and I get to observe my TD's up close.
      Then seeing that thread about Bettas really had me hooked! So this past weekend we got one
      Just what the tank was missing. It's very neat having an interactive fish in the house
      Attached Images Attached Images   
      Last edited by My2butterflies; 08-13-2015 at 05:36 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007