• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sequence pump stopped

goducks is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sequence pump stopped

Greetings, I have not been here in a long time. With the help of folks on this forum I was able to build a pond 10 years ago, and I love it. I have a Sequence 5800 external pump that has been running great up until today. I was working in the yard and noticed it had stopped. I pulled it out thinking something had got sucked in and jammed it. I opened it and was able to turn the rotor easily, so I plugged it in and it just hummed, but if I gave it a spin it would run.
      Do I need a new pump, motor, or is it just a part that can be repaired?
      Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Jay

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Don Perry is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by goducks View Post
      Greetings, I have not been here in a long time. With the help of folks on this forum I was able to build a pond 10 years ago, and I love it. I have a Sequence 5800 external pump that has been running great up until today. I was working in the yard and noticed it had stopped. I pulled it out thinking something had got sucked in and jammed it. I opened it and was able to turn the rotor easily, so I plugged it in and it just hummed, but if I gave it a spin it would run.
      Do I need a new pump, motor, or is it just a part that can be repaired?
      Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Jay
      Sounds like a capacitor problem. Watch this video on how to repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

It actually sounds like there might be a worn shaft or the thread connection between the shaft and impeller is no longer tight. I would take it to a pump repair shop and have them take care of this issue. I'm sure there's one close enough to you that could easily handle the job, whether this is the problem or not. If the shaft spins, it's not the capacitor as that would keep it from even starting or would not allow the shaft to turn at all.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would contact Billy at Cascade ponds in Roseburg. I'm sure he will know of a reputable pump repair shop in your area.

Don Perry is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      It actually sounds like there might be a worn shaft or the thread connection between the shaft and impeller is no longer tight. I would take it to a pump repair shop and have them take care of this issue. I'm sure there's one close enough to you that could easily handle the job, whether this is the problem or not. If the shaft spins, it's not the capacitor as that would keep it from even starting or would not allow the shaft to turn at all.
      Have to disagree with you here. He said that it hums, but when he spins it, it runs. When a start capacitor fails and voltage is applied, the motor will just sit and hum, but if grab the shaft and give it a spin, the motor will usually start and run normally. That's the character of his problem and is clearly indicative of a bad capacitor OR the start winding. Capacitor can be replaced DIY; start winding requires a repair shop.

Sweetwater is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A bad capacitor would not stop the shaft from turning. It is not mechanically connected. I think Don Perry is correct. The capacitor gives the motor the torque required to start and is usually dropped out when the motor gets up to speed. This is done by a centrifugal switch. You can hear the switch click as it re-engages when the motor coasts to a stop.

If you are not comfortable making the repair shown in the video any electric motor repair shop can do it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sequence Pump stopped

Quote Originally Posted by Don Perry View Post
      Sounds like a capacitor problem. Watch this video on how to repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ
      Thank you everyone. It is indeed the capacitor, I opened up the box and it was melted.
      I have the pond running now, I just started the pump with a manual spin. I will get a new capacitor Monday when the local shops open. I am relieved I don't need a new pump. I paid $250 10 years ago, the run about $600 now!
      thanks again to everyone for your help.
      -Jay

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  Pump capacitor.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  125.8 KBThank you everyone for your help. I got the new capacitor from Amazon for $8.20 and it worked great. The pond has been running for a week with no problems. I am glad I did not have to go with a whole new pump ($610) and try to get it to fit in my small pump area.
      Thanks again!
      -Jay
      Last edited by goducks; 05-24-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: added photo of new capacitor

johnhubbs is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Jay,
      I would suggest you order a spare cap for this motor and get a rebuild kit as well. You may be nearing the service life of your pump. A new seal, bearings and it should be ready for another decade of use...
      Regards, John...

wingrider is offline Senior Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by goducks View Post
      Name:  Pump capacitor.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  125.8 KBThank you everyone for your help. I got the new capacitor from Amazon for $8.20 and it worked great. The pond has been running for a week with no problems. I am glad I did not have to go with a whole new pump ($610) and try to get it to fit in my small pump area.
      Thanks again!
      -Jay
      This was really helpful fast forwarding to 2018. Big tip of the fin to goducks for updating/adding a pic of the capacitor to the post.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Some people have there pumps get wet and the capacitor gets wet and falls. I've mentioned it before. It will often trip the gfci upon startup also. It basically stores power in capacitor to get the motor started.

wingrider is offline Senior Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

There is a local Electronics surplus store nearby so I picked up a similar capacitor to see if I could at least spin up the pump while I order the exact one that fits in the box. Nothing happened with the pump so either the capacitor wasn't close enough, or it's bad too. I guess something else could have happened to the pump when the capacitor popped, I'm not sure. The capacitor might be a little under spec (to be safe) so I'll have to get the exact one on order.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007