• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: baby lotus going grey

MagnoliaMania is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

baby lotus going grey

I got some lotus seeds and they germinated successfully, even made a few leaves, but now the leaves are starting to go grey.
      They started out in water - changed the water daily otherwise it went cloudy.
      when the leaves started, I put them in loamy soil which I keep very wet.
      It did start smelling bad, and someone said they should be in water not mud.

Is this some kind of mold or fungus on the leaves?

this one was the first

Name:  IMG_8363[1].jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  41.4 KB

this one is going grey next

Name:  IMG_8364[1].jpg
Views: 877
Size:  62.5 KB

even the new leaves are going grey as soon as they are open

Name:  IMG_8365[1].jpg
Views: 909
Size:  37.5 KB
      Last edited by MagnoliaMania; 07-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks cindy. I had read that thread prior to posting and I decided that is a different situation. that plant has leaves yellowing and going brown - and it is during August. The main thought coming out of that thread seems to be that the plant is slowing down at the end of summer.

It is early july - so surely my plant isn't slowing down yet for the end of summer is it?

I am not sure what my plant has.
      could it be some kind of mold? it is grey in color , not brown.
      or too much heat - is there such a thing as I thought lotus plants love the heat?
      Last edited by MagnoliaMania; 07-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

You say you had seedlings producing leaves in water...were they bareroot at that point? And you then potted them in rich saturated loam...are the potted plants then immersed in water? That leaf damage looks very much as though the leaves have dried. And that can come from root damage. When you potted them up, it is likely roots were damaged and unable to absorb sufficient water to maintain the leaves.

If your soil is has a sour smell, there is too much organic matter in it that is rotting and likely producing anaerobic conditions, which will lead to root rot.
      Can you give more details on how the plants are now being kept...are the pots in water? And where did you get the soil?
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

the plants were in water initially until it produced leaves. then I planted them in potting soil with much much water.
      I try to keep it such that the water is either visible above the soil or the soil is visbly wet.
      Is this not enough water?
      Someone else told me I shouldn't move them to soil at all and rather keep them in water all the time. no need for soil.

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Lotus are rooted plants and experiments done by the Lotus Project of Auburn University demonstrated that lotus grow best when in a substrate of some sort. One of the better grow rates was seen in 60% pine mulch....I think I have the percentage correct.

The thing is, the first leaves produced are "coin" leaves and designed to float on the water, the aerial leaves appear a little later in the seedlings growth cycle and those are the ones that tolerate non-aquatic conditions, ie rising above the pond surface. It is my best guess that the transition from water to air while still in the coin leaf stage is the reason you are seeing the leaf damage. Root damage in the transplant probably exacerbated it. That is is still producing leaves is a good sign and from the pictures, the damage now seems to be limited to the leaf edges...another good sign. At this point, I would make certain there is water above the soil level; once the seedling establishes, saturated soil is sufficient. Dark soil will heat in the sun, so you may want to put some kind of cover over it....duckweed, azolla, something lighter colored.
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007