• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: pre filter design?

pacoflyer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

pre filter design?

I'm looking for a DIY design for a turtle pond pre-filter.
      Just something to catch the large debris before it goes into my main filter.
      Thanks

Windsong Acres is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How about a settlement chamber made from a barrel? You could bring water in about halfway up, at an angle ideally to create a slow circulation.

Draw water from the top of the barrel, ideally after it passes through a filter pad. Put a drain in the bottom to get rid of the debris that sinks over time. Hope this makes sense!
      My Current 13,000 gallon Pond Build: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ot-in-Illinois

More info about our renovated barns and ponds: www.WindsongAcres.org

pacoflyer is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for your reply.
      Yep it does make sense.
      I'm drawing water out of the bottom drain with no pre filter now it that's really hard on the pump so I was looking for something to catch some of the debris. Pumping up and drawing off the top isn't something I thought of but it does make better sense to allow the debris to settle to the bottom of the barrel. I have an external inline pool-type pump now so I'm gonna have to figure out a way to incorporate this into the design.. Thanks again for your input

Don Perry is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here is a new DIY prefilter I'm currently making to replace my older, smaller one. Just need to make lightweight cover rocks to hide the filters. This is all hand-formed, high-strength concrete.

If you'd like to see and know how I made it, just ask and I'll post the construction photos.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

The drum would work, but you do know, it'll have to be buried so it can gravity feed from the bottom drain!?!

I wouldn't use a pool-type pump for any pond. First, they use way too much electricity for the amount of gph, and second, they're not designed to run 24/7. I would suggest an external centrifugal pump of the proper size for what your needs are. It would probably pay for itself in less than 9-12 months and you'd continue to save on your electric bill forever after that, provided the pump doesn't die!lol
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."