• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: De-Los?

karazi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

De-Los?

My fish have been jumping, flashing, hiding at the bottom and instead of a swarm when I feed them they are barely nibbling. I went to the pond place and tried buying "The green stuff" which is what I've always used and now it seems it's pretty hard to find. So the guy suggested Terminate. I'm on day 3 of treatment I had one fish swiming tail up head down, hes doing good and all upright now but the flashing, jumping and other behavior continues from the other's.

I tried buying aqua prazi but apparently that has to be ordered online, but the salesman has De-Los. I've never heard of it, and from what I read it's pretty harsh, but my alternative is waiting a week for aqua prazi to ship. I'm not finding much information on this medication so it worries me.

Has anyone used this and had good results?

Also would I be able to use it after just using Terminate?

Any input would be appreciated.

Ps I could have sworn I made a new post already but it isn't showing up anywhere so if I double posted I apologize.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

What I see in looking at the very little bit of information is, it is either snake oil designed to make the manufacturer rich, or it is the newest miracle drug. No product that I am aware of will kill visible parasites, anchor worm and argulus, and flukes, and I have never seen anything advertise that it will kill fluke eggs. I think I would wait on the Prazi.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

karazi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was wondering the same thing. Here is the website http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html#De-Los

The labeling reads

De-Los
      USE: For control of anchor worms, lice, gill flukes and assorted external parasites on freshwater, Koi and marine tropical fish. Toxic to sharks and snails. Do not use on prehistoric fishes such as arowanas, silver dollars, lionfish. Not for use in tanks which contain invertebrates.

DOSAGE: 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Treat once a week for 4 weeks. 1/2 pound (treats 908 gal.) If you are using this product in outdoor Koi ponds, no water changes are necessary. This product will kill fluke eggs, Praziquantel will not.

I ended up buying it. Its expensive i will give you all an update.

TurtleMommy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Just curious, but have you checked your water parameters, and if so, what were the readings?
      TurtleMommy

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is is freezing her buns off

Feeling:
      Cool

I would call the manufacturer and ask them about using it with other medications. I would also ask them to fax you the MSDS (material data safety sheet) by law, they have to provide you with it if you ask, as it tells what's in it, and the hazards it poses to humans, wildlife, etc. Ask them to fax it to you. If they balk, I would be suspicious.
      I wouldn't use anything in my pond that I didn't know exactly what the ingredients were. I would have to weigh if my fish were valuable enough to experiment on.

They don't have to tell you how it's formulated, or if there are non-hazardous things in it, but they do have to send it to you in a "reasonable" amount of time, usually a week at most.

Also, why do you think that you have parasites? Flashing is a good reason, but other issues such as water quality, pH, etc. could be having an affect. Have you done a scrape and scope and actually seen parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by karazi View Post
      I was wondering the same thing. Here is the website http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html#De-Los

The labeling reads

De-Los
      USE: For control of anchor worms, lice, gill flukes and assorted external parasites on freshwater, Koi and marine tropical fish. Toxic to sharks and snails. Do not use on prehistoric fishes such as arowanas, silver dollars, lionfish. Not for use in tanks which contain invertebrates.

DOSAGE: 1/2 teaspoon per 10 gallons. Treat once a week for 4 weeks. 1/2 pound (treats 908 gal.) If you are using this product in outdoor Koi ponds, no water changes are necessary. This product will kill fluke eggs, Praziquantel will not.

I ended up buying it. Its expensive i will give you all an update.

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Please do not put this in your pond without doing as nmtsaki suggests! You could kill the fish very easily. It's better to be educate yourself on what you are dumping in the pond.
      Andrea

cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Quote Originally Posted by TurtleMommy View Post
      Just curious, but have you checked your water parameters, and if so, what were the readings?
      Agree. Before you start dumping stuff in there, grab the test kits, water change and dump filters. Doesn't say where you are at but most of us are getting incredible amounts of rain. That changes the ph/kh and can cause problems that are easy to fix
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

RickF is offline Senior Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The active ingredient is De-Los is Dylox 80, aka Metrifonate , trichlorfon and dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1--hydroxyethyl) phosphonate. It is an insecticide of the irreversible organophosphate acetylcholinesterase inhibitor class. Unlike praziquantel, Dylox 80 is toxic to fish. Although the manufacturer of De-Los claims it kills fluke eggs, the fact that the recommended treatment is once a week for four weeks, I do not think it really kills the eggs. Within four weeks, all of the eggs would have hatched and the flukes killed in the larval or adult stage. If it really killed the eggs, a single treatment would be all that is needed.

You should not have to wait a week for Prazi. There are many places that will ship it overnight or second day.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by RichToyBox View Post
      What I see in looking at the very little bit of information is, it is either snake oil designed to make the manufacturer rich, or it is the newest miracle drug. No product that I am aware of will kill visible parasites, anchor worm and argulus, and flukes, and I have never seen anything advertise that it will kill fluke eggs. I think I would wait on the Prazi.
      It is funny they advertise this and the full course treatment is still 4 weeks......

- You beat me to it rich LOL
      Last edited by inazuma28; 06-22-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: shown up by impressive chemistry skills

Feeling:
      Cool

Wow, where did you find that?? Kudos to you! I tried finding the MSDS and had no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
      The active ingredient is De-Los is Dylox 80, aka Metrifonate , trichlorfon and dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1--hydroxyethyl) phosphonate. It is an insecticide of the irreversible organophosphate acetylcholinesterase inhibitor class. Unlike praziquantel, Dylox 80 is toxic to fish. Although the manufacturer of De-Los claims it kills fluke eggs, the fact that the recommended treatment is once a week for four weeks, I do not think it really kills the eggs. Within four weeks, all of the eggs would have hatched and the flukes killed in the larval or adult stage. If it really killed the eggs, a single treatment would be all that is needed.

You should not have to wait a week for Prazi. There are many places that will ship it overnight or second day.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Critter303 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where did you buy the De-los at?
      I can’t find it anywhere?

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Considering that it is toxic to fish, why would you purchase it...?

"The active ingredient is De-Los is Dylox 80, aka Metrifonate , trichlorfon and dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1--hydroxyethyl) phosphonate. It is an insecticide of the irreversible organophosphate acetylcholinesterase inhibitor class. Unlike praziquantel, Dylox 80 is toxic to fish. "
      Andrea

Feeling:
      Cool

Plus, the thread is 3 years old!!! They might not even make it anymore because of its toxicity.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

ricshaw is online now Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      Considering that it is toxic to fish, why would you purchase it...?
      Before Dimilin... Dylox (Trichlorfon) was the drug of choice for control of anchor worm and fish lice. Used it years ago, never had a problem with it killing fish. KOI USA had a huge article on Trichlorfon. Printouts of the article was handed out at Koi club meetings.
      Last edited by ricshaw; 07-02-2018 at 12:34 AM.

ricshaw is online now Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I found were I posted about this before...

http://www.thepondforum.com/showthre...ll=1#post91848

The Images of the article were uploaded to Photobucket... and some of us know what Photobucket did.

Name:  trichlorform_zpsbd0172cc.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  105.2 KB
      Last edited by ricshaw; 07-02-2018 at 12:31 AM.