• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Turtle Health help

SDTurtle is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Turtle Health help

Any ideas on where I can go for some help? I've got a male map turtle that has become very lethargic. In particular, he's stopped coming up to me when I feed the fish - I used to hand feed him dried shrimp, turtle food, and worms. He's basically stopped eating from me, so I don't know if he's eating anything at all. His appearance hasn't changed at all (as far as I can tell). I'm thinking of taking him to a vet, but because he doesn't seem to have any other symptoms I'm kind of skeptical about what they'll be able to do or recommend.

Any thoughts?

Here are some pics of him from a few months ago; his appearance is pretty much unchanged.
      Name:  Donatello SideSmall.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  Donatello TopSmall.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  168.7 KB

Name:  Donatello BottomSmall.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  182.2 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Saints-81 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello SDTurtle.

I'm not familiar with Map Turtles. I'd make sure the basics are covered as far as a basking area so the shell can be completely dried out and he gets the nutrients from the sun. Maybe see if there are some minerals lacking from his diet, for my red ear sliders we will sometimes add a vitamin powder that gets mixed in with the food, sometimes we also use a paste ( We call it turtle wax but for now can't remember the name) that we rub on the shell which helps with the health of the shells. Make sure nothing has changed with the water and try and think back if any yard work might have had chemicals float over to the water (weed eaters....).

Anyway did a quick search and maybe one of these links may help direct you....

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...owtopic=134123
      http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads...se-help.73038/

Oh one other thing. I know you will see over and over again people talking about the temp of their water.... I went through dozens of different heaters over the years until finally one time I was at a reptile store and explained my setup. I have a basking area in both my outdoor and indoor ponds with sand, rocks, heat lamp and UV lights for them (no lamps outside). So the sales guy asked why I'm bothering to heat the water.... The lakes and rivers they normally live in don't have heaters.... As long as they can dry off and heat themselves with the lamps (sun) they are fine they will use the lamps and water to regulate themselves. It seemed to make sense to me and I have not heated the water for a few years.... This has the benefit of keeping algae growth down too.
      Last edited by Saints-81; 06-12-2015 at 01:13 PM.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Sorry I just saw this thread. Try this site. They have a turtle EMERGENCY CARE section:

http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upl...p?showforum=84

Hope your turtle will be ok.
      Last edited by gray cat; 06-12-2015 at 01:18 PM.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

SDTurtle is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the suggestions. I took him to a vet today and he said that discoloration on the tail end of his plastron is from an infection. He ordered some antibiotics and warm water/extra basking heat while he heals, and said he should be OK.

With respect to the water temp, the vet said our weather isn't ideal, but it's not like it's so bad for him I need to find him a new home. But he said while he's getting better higher temperatures should help.

By the way, I've previously tried one of the links given to Austin's Turtle Page. The message boards require and admin to approve your registration, I think, and I've tried a couple times and not gotten anything back. Does anyone use that board, and maybe have a POC I could get in touch with?
      Thanks!

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by SDTurtle View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions. I took him to a vet today and he said that discoloration on the tail end of his plastron is from an infection. He ordered some antibiotics and warm water/extra basking heat while he heals, and said he should be OK.

With respect to the water temp, the vet said our weather isn't ideal, but it's not like it's so bad for him I need to find him a new home. But he said while he's getting better higher temperatures should help.

By the way, I've previously tried one of the links given to Austin's Turtle Page. The message boards require and admin to approve your registration, I think, and I've tried a couple times and not gotten anything back. Does anyone use that board, and maybe have a POC I could get in touch with?
      Thanks!
      I am a member. Let me know the board name you tired to register under ( by pm ) and I will notify an admin.
      Last edited by gray cat; 06-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007