• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10" koi needs help

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      I dipped them for ten minutes in salt bath...sedated and checked two others were added same time. The gills did not show anything unusual or split.. also did a recount..there are twelve total, so number thirteen is out of luck...

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Though I believe that the 0.7% salt will take care of a lot, if there is nothing to take care of, I would not subject the fish to it. Salt is an irritant, causing increased slime coat, to protect the fish skin, and will cause increased slime on gills making respiration more difficult. There are better methods. Getting the salt up to that level, takes a lot of salt and getting it back out of the system takes a lot of water changes, and you would not want to leave that level in for extended periods of time, unless you had a fish in quarantine that you were treating for dropsy.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Koinicole is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a bacterial issue two years ago, lost a first one, no other signs,prior, no flashing, rubbing, jumping. First one, flipped over, we couldn't save it. Second one was noticed only because we were standing at the pond, he swam in slowly odd movements, like disoriented, drunken... I pulled, we put him in an aerated quarantine pool, and I rushed first thing in the morning to get meds. He made it, but they told me that it was bacterial issue on the gills....

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Forget the .7% salt. Even at that level, most current parasites are immune to this level as it's been so widely used over the last 20 years. And as Rich pointed out, it's a PITA to get rid of and with our water shortage, not recommended. Unless you really know for sure what the issue is, I wouldn't recommend you simply start throwing a bunch of chemicals in there, especially with that fish load in such a small environment. I'd up the oxygen levels and see if that improves things.

BTW, you mention you did a salt "bath". At what level salt (lbs/gal)? .7% in a "bath" is not near high enough!
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I could taste the salty...probably 1.5% in a 20gallons bowl ...the koi are eating n swim n ormal as of today
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I just lost another koi tonight, same like the one died ten days ago. I really dont kbow what could be wrong, there is absolute no flashng or any sign of stress, one just became lethargic and died..

I have a beads filter before 2-55gallon wet and dry barrels. Its been over 6 months I have not clean that, but the beads I backwash weekly.
      I took the barrels out and just run the beads now. Took everthings out, there was mud, gunks, and earthworms (don't know where they from) Could this be the problem because I did not clean these media too regularly? My media consist of bioball, japanese matts, lava rocks.
      M.Nguyen

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry to hear this. What did the gills look like?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Thanks Andrea- i can't really tell much but look similar like the other.

This morning I witness a flash, currently just run through the beads, the water is not too clear. I dipped my entire media in water with bleach and will have it sit for few days and will re rinse them good before go into service again.
      But I think I will treat my pond with some type of bug treatment depend on what my dealer will suggest, maybe termix aqua , or aqua prazi.
      M.Nguyen

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

It sounds like your barrel filters were quite dirty and creating some anaerobic conditions. This coupled with the HUGE stocking density you currently have, your system simply can't keep up with the load demand. Now, you've removed those filters and further reduced the system's efficiency quotient further exacerbating the situation. I would NOT use lava rock for any reason in a submerged filter environment. I guess you found that out already though. But, before you do ANYTHING with regards to chemical treatments of any kind, do/have someone else help do a scrape and scope to find out what parasites you may have. With the water this warm, and your current overstocked conditions, you could do much more harm than good simply "guessing" and just throwing this/that product at it.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Well that is what I kinda though o n lava rocks. None of my hobbyists friend have scope. I'm gonna at least treat and see now rather loose one every week. Btw this is my indoor pond tosai pond, not my main pond...should I reduce to five koi so it can be understock for a 600gals tank.
      M.Nguyen

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well that is what I kinda though o n lava rocks. None of my hobbyists friend have scope. I'm gonna at least treat and see now rather loose one every week. Btw this is my indoor pond tosai pond, not my main pond...should I reduce to five koi so it can be understock for a 600gals tank.
      5 tosai in a 600 gallon pond is not a lot of fish. The problem lies somewhere else.

did any fish jump ? My herd jumped like crazy three weeks ago and I did SS and found bunch of trichodina. I treated with terminate.
      Last edited by vipertom1970; 06-14-2015 at 02:36 AM.

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

The actual number is 11 koi now, range from 8"-12" but who would have a bead filter and 2-55gals as bio n 4 times turnover rate for 600gals. Even I took out the barrels but my beads still support the water quality here, I just have to pause the feeding until I get this problem corrected.
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Everybody is happy now, I reinstalled one barrel and use some matts from my main pond to ensure water quality here. No fish jump or flash but I do have a bottle of terminate on hand. Peter from inland koi will scrape and scope for me if some foul play going.
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Okay I'm too busy with my brother's pond built so I kinda glance at my indoor tank for last couple weeks.
      Last friday I spotted another showa tosai acted lazy.. (just one out of the group again)...I did a treatment of terminate rx for three days and 25% wc as reccommend each dose. One week since there not much improvement, the fish still swim slowly and kinda isolate, I don't see it eat at all, maybe just nip some algea on the wall. This is one case xof mystery I ever face in ponding..slowly my fish fell ill after one then another, this is the third since may 30th or so. I might have to take this guy to my dealer for scope if time permit this sunday.
      M.Nguyen

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Okay I'm too busy with my brother's pond built so I kinda glance at my indoor tank for last couple weeks.
      Last friday I spotted another showa tosai acted lazy.. (just one out of the group again)...I did a treatment of terminate rx for three days and 25% wc as reccommend each dose. One week since there not much improvement, the fish still swim slowly and kinda isolate, I don't see it eat at all, maybe just nip some algea on the wall. This is one case xof mystery I ever face in ponding..slowly my fish fell ill after one then another, this is the third since may 30th or so. I might have to take this guy to my dealer for scope if time permit this sunday.

Did you check their gills?
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      Did you check their gills?
      I can't really tell anyway..at Inland Koi now...they will scrape and scope soon.
      M.Nguyen

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

PETER told me gills darker than normal...and lots of flukes...so here come prazi quantel..thanks you Inland Koi...they scraped no charge for customers.
      M.Nguyen

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12