• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Can you stent a pipe like a coronary?

Biggie is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you stent a pipe like a coronary?

Hello...

I have a leak.

I have searched everywhere, and the last place I have to look is a buried pipe. It partially passes under a small section patio and a wall, so it is going to be a pain to fix, if... as I presume... it is the source of the leak (if it's not I'm just going to give up I think).

I think I haven't tackled testing the pipe because I really don't know how I'm going to deal with it if it is the problem. But I've done everything else I can think of and/or have read about on here to find the source. Now it is time.

So, my question: If it is the pipe, can a pipe be "stented" (covered from the inside) to fix it without having to dig it up and repair/replace it? Granted, without digging it up, I won't be 100% sure where the leak is, but based on my assumptions on the trajectory of the pipe and some dampness, I can make a good guesstimate where the leak might be. I know it wouldn't be a forever fix (okay, I'm hoping it might be), but I'm willing to try if I can put off demo-ing my patio for a year or 2 to keep my pond going this season.

I'm thinking about threading a collapsible discharge hose up the pipe and securing it on the inflow side. It would likely/hopefully pass OVER the crack and reduce if not eliminate the leak. Basically like how a covered stent graft is used in a person... except it wouldn't be rigid, it would only be held open by the forward water pressure. Some backflow/leak would be presumed, but at least it would be less than what I am experiencing how (about 100 gallons a day).

Or, are there other ways to deal with a leak in a really inaccessible pipe?

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

You are looking for a contractor that does Cured in Place Pipe.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Could you slide a smaller pipe through the broken pipe ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Cured in place pipe... That would be fantastic! Doubt I'll find a small scale contractor, but I'll search. I guess I'm looking to do a DIY of that.

I could probably thread a smaller caliber tube through the whole thing, but it might restrict the flow too much. It not a total straight shot either, which makes it tough.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

How in the heck would you find someone that does that? Bet it's expensive!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

NM end of video answered!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Its about 80 bucks a linear foot, but it saves you the digging and tearing out the patio. It will cut the flow by 5% once installed and can handle curves, changes in pipe size, etc. Just a matter of how much you are willing to pay to get it done easily.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

We looked into this type of repair once for a client. The first thing we were told is that both ends need to be "open" at least 2' in all directions for them to get the equipment in to do the job. And, because this was a rather small job in their eyes, the cost would have been prohibitive (like over $2500)!

In direct answer to your question, no, that won't work because to be able to slip a "hose" like that over the OUTSIDE of the pipe would still require you to excavate the entire pipe run.

You mention that there is a visible "damp spot". I would suggest digging around that immediate area first. You might just find your problem is not as big a deal as your imagination is letting it be!lol That would be my first course of action.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Nightstorm is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have you tried plugging both ends of the pipe to see if the leak goes away? That seems like an easy way to make sure that it's even the pipe your thinking.

-- Chris

Nightstorm's Pond Build

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." -- Hubert H. Humphrey

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change" - C. Darwin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Well, my thought was to do it from the INSIDE, thus obviating the need to dig it up (which for me would mean pulling up several natural stone pavers and potentially a 400 lb boulder, unfortunate bad design in retrospect).

I've found some plumbers who offer a trenchless pipe repair service, I might call, but I do expect it will be cost prohibitive to get it done professionally.

Covering from the inside just seems like such a more reasonable way to fix a broken buried pipe, I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it themselves in a DIY fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      We looked into this type of repair once for a client. The first thing we were told is that both ends need to be "open" at least 2' in all directions for them to get the equipment in to do the job. And, because this was a rather small job in their eyes, the cost would have been prohibitive (like over $2500)!

In direct answer to your question, no, that won't work because to be able to slip a "hose" like that over the OUTSIDE of the pipe would still require you to excavate the entire pipe run.

You mention that there is a visible "damp spot". I would suggest digging around that immediate area first. You might just find your problem is not as big a deal as your imagination is letting it be!lol That would be my first course of action.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah, my thought was to bypass the pipe and if see if the water loss persists or stops to give me the answer. Somewhat of another big chore which is why I've been putting it off. If it does prove to be the pipe, I have to figure out the next step to fix it. I am pretty sure if it is the pipe, the crack would be closer to the intake, which is under the pavers/wall. An internal fix/patch would be easiest here so that's why I came here to see if anyone had done a DIY like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstorm View Post
      Have you tried plugging both ends of the pipe to see if the leak goes away? That seems like an easy way to make sure that it's even the pipe your thinking.

bobbd is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Im pretty sure plumbers have a scope they can run doen the pipe to see if theres any cracks or loose joints , kind a like a colonoscopy. Lol

david pinder is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Don't know if you have the room to try this. dig up both sides and cut the pipe both sides. Take heavy duty pvc glue and glue new pipe to the one end let dry, then go to the other end and pull the pipe thru.
      With the ground being wet that might work.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by david pinder View Post
      Don't know if you have the room to try this. dig up both sides and cut the pipe both sides. Take heavy duty pvc glue and glue new pipe to the one end let dry, then go to the other end and pull the pipe thru.
      With the ground being wet that might work.
      If you read the earlier posts, he has a concrete patio and wall over part of the pipe run and there are also turns involved. Sorry, I don't see how this could work in this situation.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
      Cured in place pipe... That would be fantastic! Doubt I'll find a small scale contractor, but I'll search. I guess I'm looking to do a DIY of that.

I could probably thread a smaller caliber tube through the whole thing, but it might restrict the flow too much. It not a total straight shot either, which makes it tough.

You never say how long or how much of a curve your dealing with

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007