• Tired
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Bacteria House "Knock-Off" Media

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      It matters but always remember there often is a huge gap between marketing a theoretical outrageous bio square footage and what is actually usable and effective in the real world. Going by manufacturers theoretical numbers only and trying to make comparisons for some of the media types is misleading.
      Well, this is true of course, but I was referring to making a "blanket" statement that it doesn't really matter what media is used for bio filtration. It most certainly does.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Aquajoe is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      Well, this is true of course, but I was referring to making a "blanket" statement that it doesn't really matter what media is used for bio filtration. It most certainly does.
      Would you agree that the amount of beneficial bacteria that can be grown in a pond is limited by the food source for the bacteria? Would you also agree that if your ammonia and nitrite are reading zero on a test kit then the bacteria are working? Therefore, you cannot grow any more bacteria than the available food for them. And if your bacteria are working, it doesn't matter what media they are on. The bacteria cover all surfaces of the pond -walls, floor, plumbing, sand in sand filters, sponges, matts, etc. So as long as there is enough surface area and enough food and oxygen for the bacteria, they will thrive. Too many people are hung up on biological filtration. More is not always better.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

I agree as this was shown on some of the studies of different media. They concluded none of them were maxed out so no differences in performance were shown. If a small amount of cheaper media works and doesn't need a large space why spend the extra cash or time to micronize the system.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by koiman1950 View Post
      I agree as its easy to see the difference between loose packed strapping vs K1 or bio balls. I was referring more to a ceramic medias claim to have 2 football fields of bio growing area in each cubic foot of product.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymeseywaymsey View Post
      I'd like to see all repurposed pool paraphernalia regulated to the trash heap. Low profile, low head, high flow circuits need to be the future of North American koi ponds.
      I know of instances the past 2 years where the main reason to shut a pond down were the very high monthly energy costs and prospect of multiple pumps needing repairs or replacement.

A friends 23 year old low head old school gravity vortex SG system is still efficiently operating. It was a copy of a old English system. For many years other friends called it outdated but it looks like they have the last laugh with its low energy use.
      Last edited by BWG; 04-24-2015 at 11:01 PM.

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Aquajoe View Post
      Would you agree that the amount of beneficial bacteria that can be grown in a pond is limited by the food source for the bacteria? Would you also agree that if your ammonia and nitrite are reading zero on a test kit then the bacteria are working? Therefore, you cannot grow any more bacteria than the available food for them. And if your bacteria are working, it doesn't matter what media they are on. The bacteria cover all surfaces of the pond -walls, floor, plumbing, sand in sand filters, sponges, matts, etc. So as long as there is enough surface area and enough food and oxygen for the bacteria, they will thrive. Too many people are hung up on biological filtration. More is not always better.
      Yes, this part of your theory is correct. I was, however, referring to the ability of some media to fit a smaller footprint and still provide a large(r) amount of surface area for the same amount of bacteria to colonize. What's in a pond, as to bio efficiency has to also do with the amount of square surface area for the bacteria to colonize, but this factor shouldn't really be considered into the equation as much as some folks think. A shower filter is still the best bio converter idea ever designed as it also does degas the water column and adds a high level of oxygen to the water column being returned to the pond. A shower doesn't have to have high priced ceramic media to function very efficiently. I use feather rock in mine and it does an amazing job.

I agree as this was shown on some of the studies of different media. They concluded none of them were maxed out so no differences in performance were shown. If a small amount of cheaper media works and doesn't need a large space why spend the extra cash or time to micronize the system.
      You don't have to "micronize" a system so much, but with newer homes even in suburban areas, the amount of sq ft of property is at an all time low and many that could have a decent, highly efficient pond will certainly benefit from these newer/smaller footprint units.

I agree as its easy to see the difference between loose packed strapping vs K1 or bio balls. I was referring more to a ceramic medias claim to have 2 football fields of bio growing area in each cubic foot of product.
      I kinda figured that's what you were talking about, but, again, a blanket statement provided by Aquajoe didn't specify a particular "type" of media, just more of a generic statement about "bio media" on the whole.

I know of instances the past 2 years where the main reason to shut a pond down were the very high monthly energy costs and prospect of multiple pumps needing repairs or replacement.

A friends 23 year old low head old school gravity vortex SG system is still efficiently operating. It was a copy of a old English system. For many years other friends called it outdated but it looks like they have the last laugh with its low energy use.
      SOOOO TRUE DAT!!! I mean, if they worked well for so many years, why change it?!? I agree, I've seen several of these older style ponds with this type of filtration and they STILL WORK GREAT/WELL. It's amazing what developments in aquaculture/fish keeping in general have seen since the "good ole days"! But, again, maintenace is higher and the demand on people's work lives greatly impacts the amount of spare time they have in their lives. So, these industry improvements make it more feasible for many to still enjoy the hobby. Sometimes, the cost of electricity gets so far out of hand however, that it begins to negate these improvements as some, like pressurized filters require so much more energy to function properly. Also, the size of pond one can afford to build and then maintain, for the average hobbyist, is shrinking due to several factors. I feel that folks, before they get into this hobby, should really take a good hard look at the real costs involved before they decide to put shovel to earth to begin. It's never been a cheap hobby, and it's just going to continue to get worse as time goes on. I really don't know what folks here in California are going to do when the new water restrictions come into effect on June 1st.
      Mike

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Only the Bacteria House product will give off the far east infrared radiation.

If it doesn't crumble easily it will be good product.
      you will eat these words i promises you . in a lab 2 days ago , and infrared radiation was no laughing matter just because you can't get yours to produce it does not mean it doesn't exist .
      all ceramic media has the potential to produce infrared radiation . its just knowing how to get there.

Jetmek is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Anoxic Filtration is the answer, Go ahead got a new flack vest.

Doug

" If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then is an empty desk a sign?"
      Albert Einstein

Paultergeist is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      you will eat these words i promises you . in a lab 2 days ago , and infrared radiation was no laughing matter just because you can't get yours to produce it does not mean it doesn't exist .
      all ceramic media has the potential to produce infrared radiation . its just knowing how to get there.
      Egad, I truly hope that this post was intended as sarcasm......

Feeling:
      Happy

I need to think deeply on the substance of the benefits while wearing my Bacteria House pyramid hat, copper thread underwear, magnetic foot insoles, amber necklace, jade bracelets and lucky rabbits foot.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmek View Post
      Anoxic Filtration is the answer, Go ahead got a new flack vest.

Doug
      Hope you have it on!!!lol You also might need a radiation proof lining as well.
      Mike

Jetmek is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lol. I live near a nuke per plant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then is an empty desk a sign?"
      Albert Einstein

Otrex is offline Senior Member
      is is interested in keeping his
      koi happy!

Feeling:
      Tired

In the end, I did elect to purchase 180 pieces of the large 6" length Bacteria House knock-off.

I had a chance to look inside a broken piece, and yes, there is a ton of surface area inside. As well, I have noted that it does not break easily, save for perhaps 0.1% of manufacturing dust which flakes off the end upon removal from the box.

Dipping the media in water, it very quickly wicks water up into the full length of the media, and then retains that water quite well, perhaps tripling in weight. If you drip more water onto the media than it can handle, every one drop on top dislodges a drop out the bottom, meaning the water does move through it. If you shake the media, water can be dislodged, but the media is not spongy or soft at all. Overall this seems like fairly high-quality stuff.

Name:  Bakki Shower Tray.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  172.6 KB

TylerW is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Bacteria house knock off.

Quote Originally Posted by Otrex View Post
      In the end, I did elect to purchase 180 pieces of the large 6" length Bacteria House knock-off.

I had a chance to look inside a broken piece, and yes, there is a ton of surface area inside. As well, I have noted that it does not break easily, save for perhaps 0.1% of manufacturing dust which flakes off the end upon removal from the box.

Dipping the media in water, it very quickly wicks water up into the full length of the media, and then retains that water quite well, perhaps tripling in weight. If you drip more water onto the media than it can handle, every one drop on top dislodges a drop out the bottom, meaning the water does move through it. If you shake the media, water can be dislodged, but the media is not spongy or soft at all. Overall this seems like fairly high-quality stuff.

Hello! Still liking the media? Where can I get some? Thanks!

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Otrex View Post

I know it is strictly for marketing reasons, but the knockoff stuff is NOTHING like real Bacteria House media so I don't think they should be calling it that. It shares more similarities to Cermedia than BH, but it is a much stronger material than Cermedia is. BH is not even 20% as porous as the knockoff stuff. BH will end up absorbing water so it is porous, but the water that finds its way inside the media will work with anaerobic bacteria, because it doesn't pass through the media very easily. The knockoff stuff has clear passageways for the water to freely travel straight through the media so it works with aerobic bacteria and performs better per cu ft at nitrification than BH would. If you look at the two medias strictly for nitrification capability then BH will require far more cu ft to accomplish the same amount of work.
      Visually you can think of the usable surface area of BH media about the same as a a piece of 2 1/2" PVC pipe at the same length. They have similar outside diameters and since the pores on the outside surface are virtually all closed the water can't easily penetrate the surface to react with nitrifying bacteria. The inside surface along the center hole is more surface for bacteria to colonize, but the inside diameter is obviously smaller than the PVC pipe. So, if you count the dimples and such it seems like a fair comparison to say that the 2 1/2" pipe and BH media have the same usable surface area for nitrification. Remember again I am strictly commenting on the readily usable surface area for instant nitrification and am not commenting on the possible benefits of the anaerobic bacteria inside the media.
      So just imagine throwing a bunch of 2 1/2" diameter pieces of pipe into a shower and that is your usable surface area. It just doesn't seem like a good use of the space strictly for nitrification. But the FAR radiation is what you are really paying for!

Since the knockoff media acts more like a sponge, you can get far greater nitrification out of a smaller footprint.
      Pictures are of a 2 1/2" x 3" reducer bushing as I do not have any 2 1/2" pipe on hand...
      Name:  20180222_091609.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  62.1 KB
      Name:  20180222_091624.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  123.0 KB
      Name:  20180222_091635.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  140.9 KB
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I'm using the knock off stuff and just added some more. After 2 weeks the new media has already built up some biofilm and darkened in color. Also have some feather rock and lithaqua in there

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Have had 8 cubic feet in my shower since last year. Works as any other media I tried and it certainly is a better value that real Bacteria House.

catfish whiskers is online now Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

I love the Seaside media , both for performance and value .
      I think it is better than the Momataro bacteria house , in that it is more porous, and it is far better than Cermedia in that it does not fall apart.
      It shouldn't be considered a "knock off " of any other media.
      It is nothing like Momotaro bacteria house , or even Cermedia

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      I think it is better than the Momataro bacteria house , in that it is more porous, and it is far better than Cermedia in that it does not fall apart.
      They brought the "knock off" on themselves by marketing as Bacteria House Media...
      https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...bacteria+house

Seaside has called it Bio House Media so not in the same neighborhood as the other Chinese imports.

On another note I am EXTREMELY excited to start testing a new ceramic media that is just as strong physically as the other ceramic tubular media but it is on the same porosity spectrum as Cermedia. I have a few samples on hand, but I will have 4 cu ft of it on display at the CFKS so everyone can see what it can do.

This is a picture taken of the media with a LED spotlight shining through from the other side of a 2" thick section of media.

Name:  Backlit Media.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  154.2 KB

This is a HD Microscope looking at the pores

Name:  IMG_1018.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  60.3 KB
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-288-6199
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      My shower has 1/3 Seaside, 1/3 Cermedia and 1/3 feather rocks in it so I am well hedged.

I agree that the Seaside media is the most porous out of the three due to its shape and structure.

Which one is better? It really doesn't matter as long as the water is flowing through the media plus you have enough of it for your fish load. It is like the debate about which RDF is better. As long as a RDF doesn't break, they all do the same job.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast