• Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JimFish's Chagoi/Ochiba/Soragoi Spawn

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

JimFish's Chagoi/Ochiba/Soragoi Spawn

So my Chagoi has a massive gut that has been growing, nice and soft, presumably full of eggs. I have a Soragoi for at least a couple days, but will talk to the guy on delaying him picking it up to allow for a possible spawn. Here is my tentative plan. I have a 180g QT and I will place that girl in there with the male as I want a controlled pairing. I will pick up a few mop heads to make some spawning material and put it in there with some air stones. I can keep my QT filter hooked up, but I am not sure I want to have it running and risk sucking up a bunch of eggs. My plan would be to just hold off on feeding and do decent water changes daily to combat ammonia. Once they do their business, the male goes to its new owner and the girl goes back into the pond.

Fry/egg wise...I have some Malachite coming to make sure there is no fungus issues. I am hoping to keep the QT running with the fry and aeration only until they are a decent size and I can cover the pump intake and they won't get sucked through the media covering the intake. To combat water condition, I will do daily water changes. Any recommendations on amount?

Food wise, I am not planning on doing this on a regular basis, so I don't want to go buying a bunch of stuff. I am hoping to grind my good mix along with some daphnia into a powder for feeding.

Hopefully I will get some potential keepers in the mix. Both are off spring from Dan Daniels before he shut down his operation and I wanted to see what could come of the pairing of these two.

Am I leaving anything out?

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Here is the pairing. Photos are from December. The last one is a bit older but wanted to get a decent shot of the male.
      Attached Images Attached Images     

Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Here is the pairing. Photos are from December. The last one is a bit older but wanted to get a decent shot of the male.
      Hi Jim
      Well its best to spawn them in a show vat of say 250 + gallons and use fresh water to trigger them and then return fish to separate ponds ,and then treat with salt at 0.5ozs per gallon for two weeks then return to fresh water ,then the eggs can be run through with fresh tap water for three days at a trickle rate ,continued drip feed via a purifier and a simple Hughie hung sponge air operated filter ,as pump fed filtration is not needed for three months till fry are larvae for the first stages of growth .
      This is important also as you need a good supply of insuforia ,which is a good and cheap food and easily made in a few simple steps as you can use your house hold waste to provide this from veg peelings and fruit peelings ,a hand full of hay or straw and some sunlight !,and a packet of fast action bakers yeast from your local supermarket ,a 25gram sachet added
      every four days at a temperature of 72-86f is ideal ,as soon as the eggs are eye up stage (takes about 2-3 days dependant on your water temperature ) heaters can be added to help ,add fruit and veg peelings ,yeast ,and importantly a crushed brown lettuce ,one medium size ,and sponge filters ,new, and medium air stone ,a low stream is all that's needed and a few bubbles from the sponge filters ,this will be important as anymore will bend your fry due to heavy air bubble's .
      Then when your fry hatch they will have food all around them and a continuous supply 24/7 ,at three days old you can add to the diet when free swimming the mouth and gills will have developed by then and a silver streak which is the swim bladder ,they can then eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs ,the dry type need rehydrating for at least ten minutes ,and are best food for any fish fry ,and very convenient food to give if you don't have much time to spare as its quick and easy to do !.
      You will see quick development and a quicker colour development and pattern growth also size growth with these foods ,also yeast added every four days will provide this food ,as the veg and fruit and lettuce break up and provide a food source for insuforia to provide fry with a constant food source ,you will need to top this up every three weeks adding small amounts at a time ,leaving them in the sun to go brown is best as the rotting process has then already begun !.
      this will also feed your new sponge filters they will just need a quick clean in a bucket of clean tank water every two weeks to remove sediment ,two should be ideal and cleaned in a rotation so you don't loose any bio loading with this type of filtration ,a sweet earthy smell will tell you they are working well ,also yeast will help keep them clean and keep the vat bottom clean and keep it all ticking over nicely ,more lettuce can be added to keep the culture clear if the tank or vat is cloudy !.
      I keep 30-60,000 fry this way in a 6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot fish tank for one month before decanting into other vats and ponds ,this way a good strong spawn is produced and you then have more good fish to cull down to the magic number
      you want ,but a strong start and the right foods is all that's needed to help you get the best out of a spawn .

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

The Soragoi is now an Ochiba. I flipped him to the side and got this pic. He is still a bleeder as you can see. Took some sedation and a second tub of fresh water to get him bagged. The two are now alone in a tank. I am picking up a larger air pump and some mop heads in a little bit and then I will be all set. A nice water change and a near full moon and maybe the mood will be set.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Mop heads are in, extra air is being pumped in as well. I will do a decent water change every day hoping to spark something.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I was doing a water change and the fish became active and played in the mop heads a bit. As I refilled, they stopped. Does depth play a part in getting them to spawn?

jimc2142003 is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

After the spawning water change - I'd add some ammonia lock. And at at every water change for the 1st week or so.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Ah, love is in the air. Sometime between 1 am and this morning the two spawned. I woke up to white foam, the two eating eggs from the mop heads, and the entire bottom of the tank covered in eggs. Ammonia jumped as well. The two were moved back to the main pond. Ammonia is being dropped via a water change now, doing about 30% now and will see where it is after that. I have to search through my stuff to see if I have any ammonia binder. The fun begins...

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

what're you gonna feed the fry?
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I thought about using a food processor and just mixing my current food mix with some daphnia and feeding a powder. I have some soilent green I may drop in as well. I am not aiming to go pro and buy a bunch of stuff, let the strong survive my inexperience.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

This morning Ammonia was at a green between 4 and 8. A 30% change with binder has brought me down to a 2. A 50% change and binder has me above 1 still. This is a little absurd.

Koigrl is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD
      is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

Jim, getting the water clear of ammo is your only priority now, and see if you can make wayne's infusoria cooking; wilted lettuce, some hay, yeast, sunshine. the fry use their own egg sacs for a short while. i'm hoping some more experienced breeders check in. my spawns generally take place in the mud, and momma nature does her thing.
      i'm not signing off!. i just want you to get the best advice going.

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Twelve seconds that are the entire point of the last seven years!
      https://youtu.be/zNqTJgM3lpY

If you're reading this, you're on Team Ki.
      Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

This morning Ammonia was at a green between 4 and 8. A 30% change with binder has brought me down to a 2. A 50% change and binder has me above 1 still. This is a little absurd.
      What Ammonia binder are you using and what test kit?
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

A little more binder and we are down to .25 which is a massive improvement over this morning. I am occasionally taking a net to the surface to catch all the stuff floating up and keep the ammonia from rising. I will maintain and see if anything hatches.

In the mean time I am reading up on old breeding threads. Mid way though Stephen's "there's a moon out tonight" thread and I am feeling grossly unprepared for this. Some good stuff in there though.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      What Ammonia binder are you using and what test kit?
      API is the test kit. The binder I am using Pond Prime as its a dechlor and ammonia binder.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

A little more binder and we are down to .25 which is a massive improvement over this morning. I am occasionally taking a net to the surface to catch all the stuff floating up and keep the ammonia from rising. I will maintain and see if anything hatches.

In the mean time I am reading up on old breeding threads. Mid way though Stephen's "there's a moon out tonight" thread and I am feeling grossly unprepared for this. Some good stuff in there though.
      You're gonna need more water
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rainblood View Post
      You're gonna need more water
      I did a 30 and a 50% water change already today. Any more water and I am dechlorinating my pool and rolling the QT tank into it, lol.

opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Just retested after letting the last binder dose settle/mix. I am reading a zero. Water temp is 75.7 and the water is clearing up.

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

A Mid way though Stephen's "there's a moon out tonight" thread and I am feeling grossly unprepared for this. Some good stuff in there though.

I know the feeling, bud.
      I spent the whole of last summer muttering and cursing, but to mangle an old TV ad with Cher as spokesperson, "If it was easy, it would come in a bottle." or sumthin.

Stay the course!!!

Ki Shusui Project : 300k Challenge : 500k Build : Flock Spawn Jamboree : Our Ki Midori Champions

Ten minute video of Russ Peters sexing our future ki shusui oyagoi. : http://youtu.be/AhROs1cjC18

Updated for the 2018 Harvest: What is "ki shusui?" Short version http://www.kishusui.com

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

is is cheerful.

Feeling:
      Cool

I did a 30 and a 50% water change already today. Any more water and I am dechlorinating my pool and rolling the QT tank into it, lol.
      LOL. Great idea!!!
      You're not going to have time to swim anyway! Pretty soon, feeding babies hourly on the hour.

Kichi loves company. Max

K-POTY 2014

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast