• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Axial Flow Pump Suggestions for Low-head Trickle Filter?

jtarr00 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      The Blue Eco is built like an oversized aquarium pump on a ceramic shaft (no bearings). How long they will last remains to be seen. Needs someone to independently verify the output as the output flow numbers vs watts are optimistic. Maybe good maybe bad.

Blue eco pumps have a titanium shaft (not ceramic) that's surrounded by neodymium magnets. They've been in use since 2010.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

See diagram below
      Last edited by BWG; 03-25-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Feeling:
      Happy

Only time will tell if this type of design will give the durability and longevity of conventional centrifugal pond pump designs.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Only time will tell if this type of design will give the durability and longevity of conventional centrifugal pond pump designs.
      I see 2 sets of bearings.

Feeling:
      Happy

I also have a photo of a disassembly and will try to locate it again. Maybe not a bad design but is it as durable or will it last as long?
      Last edited by BWG; 03-24-2015 at 10:57 PM.

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

I have a 900W 4flow on order from Aquscience China. The thing is a beast, if the physical measurements from the company are accurate.

Model: FP090022A03-01 900W (220V for EU)
      Pump: 430*238*235 mm
      Controller: 261*198*138mm

One thing to note (at least from the documentation) regarding the BEs is their intolerance for particulate matter over 800 microns in diameter.

That makes them great for RDF and sieve based systems, but possibly a liability on systems that have lesser filtration. I will be getting a screw-on 3" BSP 500 micron suction filter to prevent the pump from ingesting large particles when in operation. Clean water is probably assured after the RDF, but nothing is stopping small amounts of sand or soil (or god forbid a small pebble) from accidentally going into the clean water pit.

I believe the 4flow head fits only on the 500W and up models. On low head systems, the numbers seem very impressive for the watts expended. I will try to get some readings when my new pond is finally built - I'll probably be getting a handheld ultrasonic flow meter for TPR flow tweaking too.

Edit: Link to the strainer in case folk are interested. It was a bit hard to locate.
      http://www.monarchasiapacific.com.au...on_size-0_5_mm
      Last edited by DragonFireSG; 03-25-2015 at 01:06 AM.

ClarkKoi is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      Hi Michael,

I went with the larger of the axial flow pumps supplied by Allied Aqua. I bought two around December and have one in use currently. I spoke with them a lot the previous year compiling information. I didn't get my first build done until this winter which is when I got one in use.
      They list the rated gallons at 10,000gph but it drops significantly with anything over 2' of head. Ironically, the wattage increases if you set up the pump to lift too. Unrestricted it's using 137 watts but when I had it plumbed into low showers the wattage draw was 179.

I think it was this thread that someone mentioned they might not have any in stock right now. I'm hoping they resupply soon as I'll need another for my pond build.

I understand the desire to measure the output with total accuracy. It will be a little tricky for me to do but maybe come summer time I'll rig something up and do a modified tub calculation. How many seconds does it take to fill a barrel or something. A meter would be challenging as it would restrict flow.
      Thanks Marilyn,

Glad you've been happy with Allied Aqua, I've been in touch with Chris and he's trying to get his hands on some more of the 10,000gph units. Also interesting about the actual power draw under load--still darn good, though

-Michael

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Still waiting to hear back from Aquatech, I'm getting the feeling that Andy may be working a day job now and running Aquatech on the side. I'll let you know if I ever get in touch with him.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by jtarr00 View Post
      Blue eco pumps have a titanium shaft (not ceramic) that's surrounded by neodymium magnets. They've been in use since 2010.
      You are correct and I have corrected that point on my post. The larger units do not have a ceramic shaft they have ceramic bearings.

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
      I have a 900W 4flow on order from Aquscience China. The thing is a beast, if the physical measurements from the company are accurate.

Model: FP090022A03-01 900W (220V for EU)
      Pump: 430*238*235 mm
      Controller: 261*198*138mm

One thing to note (at least from the documentation) regarding the BEs is their intolerance for particulate matter over 800 microns in diameter.

That makes them great for RDF and sieve based systems, but possibly a liability on systems that have lesser filtration. I will be getting a screw-on 3" BSP 500 micron suction filter to prevent the pump from ingesting large particles when in operation. Clean water is probably assured after the RDF, but nothing is stopping small amounts of sand or soil (or god forbid a small pebble) from accidentally going into the clean water pit.

I believe the 4flow head fits only on the 500W and up models. On low head systems, the numbers seem very impressive for the watts expended. I will try to get some readings when my new pond is finally built - I'll probably be getting a handheld ultrasonic flow meter for TPR flow tweaking too.

Edit: Link to the strainer in case folk are interested. It was a bit hard to locate.
      http://www.monarchasiapacific.com.au...on_size-0_5_mm
      800 micro seems to fine to me.
      seems like it would clog very fast.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

my new axial flow pump has a evolution 5500 esm marathon motor on it ,and it pumps 15,000 gallons an hour on 200 watts.
      that is at 20 inches of head pressure.
      uses a mixer direct prop .
      usa felker stainless steel 5 inch 90 degree elbow thin wall pipe.
      million hour bearings.
      the best vicron seals i could fine.
      down falls are it's not large frog friendly.
      need a motor starter with thermal protector for that.
      anyone know where i can get the esm 5500 motor.
      pics coming soon .

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      my new axial flow pump has a evolution 5500 esm marathon motor on it ,and it pumps 15,000 gallons an hour on 200 watts.
      that is at 20 inches of head pressure.
      uses a mixer direct prop .
      usa felker stainless steel 5 inch 90 degree elbow thin wall pipe.
      million hour bearings.
      the best vicron seals i could fine.
      down falls are it's not large frog friendly.
      need a motor starter with thermal protector for that.
      anyone know where i can get the esm 5500 motor.
      pics coming soon .
      Definitely want pics Sounds pretty cool! Also, I keep my filter covered due to leaves etc., which seems to deter frogs as well (so does salt...).

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Quote Originally Posted by tsippel View Post
      800 micro seems to fine to me.
      seems like it would clog very fast.
      Aye. There is a definite need for pre-filtration on these pumps. Soft matter probably won't be a problem, but grit and sand might be an issue. There are thus some restrictions on what can go into the chamber preceding the pump. Bags of dolomite chips for instance would work assuming a chip granularity considerably larger than the bag mesh. Oyster shell, with its flaking tendency would not work as there is a good chance of pieces escaping the bag mesh over time.

@Marilyn - I am not sure if there is any chance of lithaqua escaping your bags. Do take precautions when installing your BE

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  P1103277.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  81.7 KB
      this is going on three years old 48,000 gallon an hour .
      it sits in an 8'' pipe up well from the rdf .
      it boils out into a 12'' inch pipe and back to the pond.
      its the prototype but ran so good it stayed.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  P1103272.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  65.3 KB
      one more pic

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You are correct and I have corrected that point on my post. The larger units do not have a ceramic shaft they have ceramic bearings.
      All of the units have titanium shafts and the bearings are made of silicon carbide.
      Last edited by jtarr00; 03-26-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by jtarr00 View Post
      All of the units have titanium shafts and the bearings are made of silicon carbide.

Silicium carbide is a form of ceramic. In the past pumps of this design had a short service life. Then the bearing quality, manufacturing process and design improved and the pump life went into the acceptable range. My experience with pumps in an industrial setting is that this pump will have a good service life but not the great service life you get with a conventional centrifugal pond pump with a quality motor.

I am open to the fact that this bearing design continues to improve but it will take many years and many reports from the pond community to validate. So my conclusion is that buying a Blue Eco is somewhat of a gamble.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Silicium carbide is a form of ceramic. In the past pumps of this design had a short service life. Then the bearing quality, manufacturing process and design improved and the pump life went into the acceptable range. My experience with pumps in an industrial setting is that this pump will have a good service life but not the great service life you get with a conventional centrifugal pond pump with a quality motor.

I am open to the fact that this bearing design continues to improve but it will take many years and many reports from the pond community to validate. So my conclusion is that buying a Blue Eco is somewhat of a gamble.

Ceramics are comprised entirely of inorganic materials. Carbide is a compound made from carbon. Carbon is an organic material. Silicon Carbide is not a ceramic - I guess you could state it contains a ceramic, the same way some could state water contains hydrogen. As far as your opining about the life of the BE pumps, you started your comments by representing that the BE pumps have ceramic shafts and no bearings. Both of statements were not correct and are very much relevant to analyzing a pump's life.

Feeling:
      Happy

Some of the early smaller pumps from this manufacture in China had ceramic shafts. I corrected my statement to reflect the current larger series.

Look up my statements on the web and you will see they are consistent with reliability experts. It is also important to note that I distinctly stated I am not against this design but correctly pointed out it is somewhat of a gamble.
      Last edited by BWG; 03-26-2015 at 11:17 AM.

powerman is offline Supporting Member
      is Still koi keeping

Feeling:
      ----

I ordered the 8,000 gph allied aqua axial flow pump for my raceway, was going to go with the 10,000 but they are still out of those.. I think the 8,000 gph will be plenty.. and I'll add an air lift if I want more, I was going to put one in there anyway as a backup .. for my external pumps, I'm using performance pro
      DAN

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast