• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on getting a UV light.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need advice on getting a UV light.

Hi all been a long time since Ive been here and a long time since Ive worked on my pond. Iam currently in the midst of putting my plumbing and filtration in, since I live in south Florida Iam figuring Ill be needing a UV filter to control the green water from the algae. Now what Iam wondering is what kind do I need. My pond is roughly about 780gallons, and the pump is a ES2500 which I believe does 2500GPH. Thanks in advance!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

There are several good brands, but the critical thing is to get a unit that is sized to the flow of the pump, not the size of the pond. You can reduce the size somewhat, but need to have a bypass around the UV so the flow through the UV is correct for the unit.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dollar for dollar, the EVO55 seems to be the most popular choice. Its 350$, but the lamps are 35$. It will handle over twice your current flow rate. Its free flowing, low head design that has 2" inlets. It won't require a bypass or additional ball valves to balance the flow.

I've had mine installed on my 800 gallon pond for almost a year now, with zero issues.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahh interesting, so the UV so essentially I would need 2 connections from the pump to the filter, one for the UV and one direct? As for the EVO55 hmmm Ill have to check it out. In case for looking at other options how would I go about sizing it, or should I say do I just figure it out by the stock GPH and hour that my pump does or do I have to figure it out all hooked up and running? Another option I was toying around with was DIYing it, but dont know if its worth the trouble or not. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes that's basically it: decide the optimal (net) flow for your system. If your pond is 800 gallons, it would be ideal to flow about 1.5X to 2X that volume per hour. Find a UV system that operates at 1200gph or higher and you should be fine. Set it up so you can bypass it. Situate it after the main filters so that the UV filter is more effective (fewer solids to block UV). The UV rating on filters are dubious at best. As Rich said, spec them against the flow of your system. In general, get the better systems...like the one James suggested. Price and access to replacement bulbs and parts is important consideration and better systems allow them to grow as your pond system grows.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ahh awesome thanks for the info, now things are making a little more sense lol. Now Iam assuming the wattage of the bulbs come into play into this as well no? or really just look into worrying about the GPH. Thanks again!

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Zaid, pm me or better yet give me a call and I can take the time to answer your UV questions and help you pick out what would be your best choice. There are a lot of good products out there but more options than I can type. 541-408-3317

calponds.com is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Zaid View Post
      Hi all been a long time since Ive been here and a long time since Ive worked on my pond. Iam currently in the midst of putting my plumbing and filtration in, since I live in south Florida Iam figuring Ill be needing a UV filter to control the green water from the algae. Now what Iam wondering is what kind do I need. My pond is roughly about 780gallons, and the pump is a ES2500 which I believe does 2500GPH. Thanks in advance!
      There are, indeed, several quality brands to choose from when it comes to selecting a UV. In addition to the Evo UV, which is actually so popular that it can be difficult to find in stock at times, we also offer several economically priced stainless steel UV models which have also become quite popular among our growing customer base due to the low priced replacement lamps. Of course, the most popular UV brand nationwide is Aqua Ultraviolet, which we also carry. Roughly 70% of our local customers have an Aqua UV installed on their pond. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us via our website. Hope this helps and happy ponding...
      Last edited by calponds.com; 03-13-2015 at 01:36 AM.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Never heard of the stainless steel ones Iam curious about those if there priced cheaper, thanks for the info so far guys its a huge help.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

Stainless steel uV units are ALWAYS more expensive than the standard units. Even AquaUV states that they've found no real value in stainless steel over PVC units as far as effectiveness of the UV. IMHO, the best units, flow rate wise and cost are the EVO units. We've installed a few and find them to be much more effective than other brands based on the restrictive design of most having 90 fittings in/out of the units and some with multiple 2" chambers tied together for the larger sizes (80 watt and above) which adds additional 90 turns and thus, much more head loss. The EVO units pipe straight through allowing a much higher flow rate with better contact time.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yeah the EVO55 unit is looking pretty good right about now lol, but to change gears here a little bit. Once I get a UV. Where along the line does it go? Does it get put before or after the filter? Thanks again.

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Depends on the filter. If the line after the filter is pumped, then it should go on that line. If the line is gravity fed after the filter, it would probably be best before the filter. The reason for after the filter is the UV is being used to kill single cell algae, and any other solids coming through will block some of the algae from getting the dosage needed to kill it.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Iam putting in a sand and gravel filter, if I got this correct, its pumped into the Sand and Gravel then from sand and gravel gravity fed back into the pond. So then from what you say here before the filter then?

Jaymeseywaymsey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

That's how mine is. Prefilter->Sequence 3300gph pump->evo55->2 s/g filters back to pond.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Awesome thanks again!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes, put the UV after the pump before the S/G filters.

Zaid is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you guys for all the help and advice Ive received, but unfortunately Iam gonna have to put the UV filter on the back burner atm due to a financial hic up. I again want to thank everyone for all there help especially Steve AKA Birdman from High Desert Koi who went out of his way to call me personally and give me some much needed advice, you cant get better customer service than that!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Glad to help Zaid. Don't hesitate to call if you have any other questions.

jrlaubin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

$95 get you a 36watt ss uv lamp... see ebay 361225512442
      bulbs are also cheaper..warrantee..probably you have to send back to china
      I have had the 55w by this company for 2 years with no problems..

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I had the EVO55 on my pond and then after two trees near it were removed, I went to the EVO110. Flow rates are great on the units and what I like about them is they work for my current set up, but if I doubled my GPH the unit would still be able to handle the flow rate. They are a bit big, but that is my only real objection. As calponds noted, getting one is a bit tough at times due to supply and demand. Occasionally someone lists one on here in the traders forum, so keep an eye on those threads. Bulbs are a bit of a pain to get too, I learned that last year and waited two months for much needed bulbs. When I got them though, I ordered twice as many as I needed. In a month I switch to the second set I bought and will place an order for another two sets shortly after to make sure I have some on stock.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast