• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Are TPRs an absolute necessity with aerated bottom drains?

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Are TPRs an absolute necessity with aerated bottom drains?

Hi folks,

The current iteration of my pond redesign has it being a round-edged square, 10ft by 8ft and probably 6-8 ft deep. Total pond volume including filter will be about 6k gals, with 4.5-5k gals free swimming space.

I plan on putting in two 4" aerated bottom drains and one gravity fed skimmer. These will feed a RDF, probably an electronics free Blue Eco at this time as the RDF pit will likely be filled with water.

Do I need to install TPRs in this setup?

A bakki running about 10k gph will be the main return.

I also plan to have an airlift running about 3k gph pulling water through a moving bed filter and oyster shell bed for backup in case the bakki pump kicks the bucket, and parts take a while to come in. I also expect to need to turn down the bakki at night.

I will set up a pond build thread with drawings when the design is more finalized.

I ask about the TPRs as I'd like to avoid coring holes through the pond's main walls. Insurance for bottom holes is an extra thick layer of waterproofed concrete. Not a hole lot of room for that with side holes. Pardon the pun

Cheers,
      Ken

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

fishin4cars is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not absolutely necessary, but you will find over time that if you can't get the bottom to circulate and help draw the waste to the bottom drains it will be a regret down the road. I didn't put in TPR's and I do regret it. H ended up putting a submersible pump in the pond and plumbing a pipe down to 18" above the bottom to help make the water at the bottom turn in a circular motion. It helped tremendously, the major drawbacks to this. 1-another pump burning additional electricity that will need replacing periodically. 2nd, another item in the pond for the fish to injure themselves on. 3- No where near as efficient as properly designed TPR placement. With todays designs in TPR's and how they are attached to liners it really no less of a risk that the bottom drain or the skimmer as far as leaking. IMO

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

@fishin4cars

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was thinking that I might get away with not putting in TPRs since I have 2 aerated BDs in a regular shaped 10x8 pond. Each BD will only need to sweep a 4 ft radius around it. Flow rates will also be pretty high for a pond this size.

Cheers,
      Ken

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

I prefer pump fed tpr's over gravity fed tpr's. I have known of several people who have bubbles from the gravity tprs, including myself. Me no likey bubbles.
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Indeed. Bubbles in the TPRs are not nice. Kinda a problem with the airlift types. Might just end up using a small 150W pump instead of the airlift.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

13,000 gph is a lot to return over pond level, and I think it's hard to duplicate what underwater
      returns provide... even if you can't get them low enough to be considered "officially" tpr's , the
      fish thoroughly enjoy the extra current no matter where they are.
      I rented a core drill and added an upper return and it was amazingly simple. I don't know if you have
      access to hydraulic cement, but I just stuffed that around the pipe and sealed it with the waterproofing
      compound I was using.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Aye. I will plan for an underwater return to be put in to provide circulation if the koi will be happier that way.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007