• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Growth and Color Vs Diet and Water Parameters

Craigger7 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Growth and Color Vs Diet and Water Parameters

Hi guys, I have a question. I admit I'm fairly new into the Oranda world. I've owned koi for almost 10 years now. I know as a koi ages it will change color. I'm sure the same is true about goldfish. Now take for granted in this conversation I am a stickler for water parameters. I preheat and condition water for 3 days prior to weekly 20% water changes. I have a 75 gallon aquarium, using a Fluval FX6 with 5 Orandas. BTW, my plants, bonsai and inside fruit plants love the recycled aquarium water. I have found on web pages that Goldfish put more energy into growth in warmer waters. At the same time they will put food energy's into color in cooler waters. I have not tested this theory of cold water yet. But my temp is at 80 degrees and my goldfish are growing. I also treat with a monthly light dose of Melafix. This is just a habit that I have picked up with my koi ponds as a preventative measure. I also keep a salt level of 0.05%. I know people will argue of the salt level. I usually run a level close to 0.1% in my koi pond. Diet: I feed once daily pre-soaked Fluval goldfish pellets. and at night a gel cube of my own cooked food. Here's all that's in my receipt: One fillet of salmon, Kale, Carrots, Peas, Red Peppers, Acidophilus, Spirulina (good for coloring), and Agar Agar.
      Here are some pics, I think my Red's and Orange's are doing good. However my blacks seem to be fading. A tri-color Oranda is now only white and orange. Also my Panda is turning all white. Does this have anything to do with water parameters or diet?

Craig
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Mark Anderson is offline Senior Member ~ CKK in Training
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Goldfish will change color much like koi as they mature, these look to be immature and still growing. The diet will have an effect much like koi as well.We have a nice white ryukin turned dingy yellow eating algae off sides of tank. Most homemade foods will be lacking in some form of major and minor elements, so feed sparingly. Best to feed a constant variety. Ph can also affect coloring. I wouldn't worry about the fish, but those nice live plants wont last long. Good luck.

DarleneD is offline Supporting Member
      is crocheting

Feeling:
      Meh

It's very common for goldfish to lose their black coloring. I don't think there is much you can do to prevent it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

LOL well so far the plants are doing ok. I put mostly what was considered Goldfish friendly plants in the tank. The fish nibble but the plants seem to still thrive. I bought a 4 by 2 inch pad of a plant I believe was called Baby Tears. I placed it in the tank and then went to work. When I got home the plant pad was bare. That was expensive fish food, it also was the last time I bought that plant.

Craig

tsippel is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

could the higher temps be fading the colors.
      how large do they get .
      i'm no expert but my oranda gold fish is 8 '' long and 3 years old .
      i got it 2 years ago ,one and half inches long and grew like a weed .
      it lives with all koi and is tough as can be .
      it lives in water from 55 degrees to 70 degrees.
      i have had gold fish in the greenhouse at temps up to 80 degrees and they lost there color.

LadysSolo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I know with my Bristols and Ryukins that I keep outside, the black and blue colors definitely deepen in the summer, so I believe sunlight and plants to eat can affect the color. But I also know from experience that Panda moors will lose their black eventually.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Goldfish growth

New Member is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Craigger7 View Post
      LOL well so far the plants are doing ok. I put mostly what was considered Goldfish friendly plants in the tank. The fish nibble but the plants seem to still thrive. I bought a 4 by 2 inch pad of a plant I believe was called Baby Tears. I placed it in the tank and then went to work. When I got home the plant pad was bare. That was expensive fish food, it also was the last time I bought that plant.

Craig
      Ya know baby tears ( HC ) are very hard to grow if not in ideal situations. Which is high light, nutrient and co2. They would've died anyways in that tank.. So it was worth being a treat .. Like duckweed
      Low co2 indicator : your hygrophila difformis lost its pinnate form.. Going broad leaf

You might wanna try out anubias. Replace the water wisteria.. Assure you it will look better.
      Last edited by New Member; 03-12-2015 at 07:27 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Plants

Ty for the tips, I do admit I am new to aquarium plants. The tank is for oranda's first and plants second. I didn't want to put Co2 in the tank with the goldfish. I do have some anubias in the tank. I like how the wisteria looks but I admit its now growing like my swords. I want to keep the front of the tank clear. That is where I feed them and the goldfish shift through the sand there. Is there any other plants that you would suggest. My Anacharis are growing like crazy, but I hear their easy growers.

New Member is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Craigger7 View Post
      Ty for the tips, I do admit I am new to aquarium plants. The tank is for oranda's first and plants second. I didn't want to put Co2 in the tank with the goldfish. I do have some anubias in the tank. I like how the wisteria looks but I admit its now growing like my swords. I want to keep the front of the tank clear. That is where I feed them and the goldfish shift through the sand there. Is there any other plants that you would suggest. My Anacharis are growing like crazy, but I hear their easy growers.

Water sprite is great ; similar to water wisteria but grows like a weed.. Litterly i have to throw out golfball sizes weekly from my 55... .. they can float too; so that provides some light shade for low tec tank setups against algae on glass. They also shoot their stems out of water.

Options are really limited since you have goldfishes in there.. let see what else i can dig up..

also try eleocharis parvula; it a carpeting plant as well so it will bring some color to your tank; complements your fish .. Note that this plant does not really require Co2 high light or nutrient... ( At least in my experiance ) but you do have to plant in large amounts and deeply to keep it safe from goldfish raids. So i suggest buy a clump and grow them half submerged half emersed in a small box/tank; until there is a good amount of them.

Do not buy eleocharis acicularis; the dwaf form. That thing is pretty much the same as HC.. princess plants..

Btw add more anubias... Anubias tanks are Epic.. sometimes...
      check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUjq_z4F1o
      Name:  DSC_0987[1].jpg
Views: 459
Size:  47.2 KB
      Last edited by New Member; 03-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007