• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Looking to do filter rebuild - Your advice is much appreciated!

DragonFireSG is offline Senior Member
      is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Red face Looking to do filter rebuild - Your advice is much appreciated!

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to rebuild the legacy brushes-and-mats filter in my 3000 gallon concrete pond.

It was badly done the first time 7 years ago, no thanks to a combination of my inexperience, and a slipshod pond contractor.

The filter chambers are not plumbed to be drained, and purging each requires the use of a manually inserted submersible pump for each chamber. That is a lot of work, more water change than the fish would be comfortable with, and has resulted in me doing somewhat less maintenance than I should on the system.

Thankfully, the chamber separators in the filter section can be torn down without damage to the walls of the main pond. This is where most of the rework will be carried out in an effort to modernize the pond. The only work involving the main pond chamber will be the coring of a new 3" hole in the wall separating filter and main pond to accommodate a sorely needed gravity skimmer.

I am looking at installing a 4-tier single bakki system that is fed by a Ultrasieve III. Two of the three existing TPRs will be sealed off as the pond circulation will be considerably changed with the installation of the shower.

Here's a breakdown of the "before and after" as per my plans. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of maintenance needed on the system, and allow me to increase my stocking and feeding levels from the current barest minimum. Your comments are much appreciated!

==

Now:

4-chamber gravity feed concrete filter
      ==

1st chamber
      Contains: 30 Brushes
      Input: 3x BDs
      Output: 2nd chamber

2nd chamber
      Contains: Japanese Mat
      Input: 1st chamber
      Output: 3rd chamber

3rd chamber
      Contains: Hack and slash 50 liters K1 and 50 liters K3 in laundry bags (aerated by dedicated Hiblow 40); This used to contain more JMat
      Input: 2nd chamber
      Output: 3rd chamber

4th chamber
      Contains: Tsurumi 50PU2.15 plumbed to 3x 1.5" TPRs; Oyster shell bags (aerated by dedicated Hiblow 40)
      Input: 3rd chamber
      Output: Pond via 3x 1.5" TPRs

Pond
      Contains: 3 mature koi; 3000 gallons of dihydrogen monoxide
      Input: 4th chamber; koi poop
      Output: 1st chamber via 3x 3" BD (building foundations make for 3 distinct deep points in the pond - each BD serves one)

The BDs are way oversized for the flow rate and need constant and wasteful purging - hence my intent to ramp up the flow rate considerably in the redesign.

Planned:

External Ultrasieve III and Bakki with 3 chamber filter (Knocking out the old chamber separators and building new ones)

==

1st chamber
      Contains: 2x Tsurumi 50PU2.15 plumbed to Ultrasieve III
      Input: BDs; gravity skimmer; overflow from 2nd chamber
      Output: Ultrasieve via the pumps; Overflows into 2nd chamber if the the Ultrasieve pumps cannot keep up with input

Ultrasieve III
      Contains: Some Momotaro BHM stacked below the sieve plate (maybe)
      Input: 1st chamber
      Output: 2nd chamber via 3" (modified from 2") outlet under gravity

2nd chamber
      Contains: Static K1, air line from Hiblow 40 for maintenance boiling, submerged UV lamp (on timer circuit, 4hr daily)
      Input: Ultrasieve; overflow from 1st chamber
      Output: 3rd chamber; Overflows into 1st chamber if the flow into the 3rd chamber is slower than the input from the Ultrasieve; Valved drain port

3rd chamber
      Contains: 2x Tsurumi 50PU2.15 plumbed to Bakki and 1x valved TPR; Oyster shell bags (permanently aerated by Hiblow 40)
      Input: 2nd chamber
      Output: Bakki shower and pond via 1.5" TPR; overflows to drain port

Bakki shower
      Contains: 60-80kg of Momotaro BHM in 4 single trays
      Input: 3rd chamber
      Output: Pond

Pond
      Contains: 3 mature koi; 3000 gallons of dihydrogen monoxide
      Input: Bakki shower; 3rd chamber via TPR; koi poop; trickle feed from water mains
      Output: 1st chamber via 3x 3" BD and gravity skimmer (3" pipe to skimmer collector)

I expect the Ultrasieve system to move more water versus that of the Bakki since the former's friction and static head will be a fair bit lower than that of the latter. This should keep the solid tainted settlement chamber water out of the static k1 chamber.

Total water turnover should be about 4000 gph as per my calculations based on pump charts and system head estimates.

My main nagging questions are...

1. Will the bakki alone be enough biological filtration? My original plan was for there to be a moving bed K1 chamber sitting between the sieve return and static K1. Most materials I have read so far however indicate that the Bakki should be more than capable of handling my relatively small, conservatively stocked pond (only 3 mature fish at this time). Squeezing in another chamber would result in the filter being much tighter, and my thoughts at present are to remove it altogether if the 4 tier Bakki with 60-80kg of BHM will do the job with capacity to spare. A little voice however tells me that a separate biological system might be good to have in case I need to take the Bakki offline for maintenance.

2. About how large (in gallons/liters of K1) should I set up the static K1 filter given the 4000gph targeted flow rate? I do maintenance every weekend or two.

3. There is talk that less flow might actually be better than more flow for a bakki. Is there any truth to this?

4. Would there be any benefit to installing a second Ultrasieve in parallel with the first? 4000gph is well within the operating specifications of a single unit. I will be cutting out the 2" return to fit a 3" bulkhead in its place, and adding an overflow tube joining the top and bottom halves of the filter to guard against a blocked screen.

5. Finally... Do you see any critical flaws that need to be worked out?

Much Thanks,
      DF

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DaKid Koi is offline Da Royal Prince of Baddness Maddness
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

FIRST off - Welcome to koiphen , and it would be nice if u could post pic.'s of ur filter system now to help others visualize how it set-up
      WE are both Cancer Survivor. "Together we fight the fight" - "We are Strong "- " We Are Survivors "

Norm Walsh is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agree, pics would be great. You state the "separators" in the chamber can be removed, what are the overall dimensions of the chamber?

I love a good red.

birdman is offline DIY Savant
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to the forum. I have long felt BD's to Sieve to shower is the best BD filtration you can do. This is what I run on my ponds and love the simplicity and efficiency of it.
      I feel the More flow the better for a shower. For your size pond I would look at 4 trays with 3 cubic feet in each tray, with 6000 gph supplying the shower.
      Good luck with your re-do.

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll try to get some pictures when doing my maintenance routine tomorrow.

Some additional info:

Filter dimensions: LxWxD 260cm x 50cm x 100cm

The filter was put in by walling off a short side of the rectangular rebarred concrete pond.
      The resulting filter chamber was then partitioned into 4 using poured concrete to form 5cm thick walls. These should be removable with careful application of a sledgehammer as they are not intimately connected to the rest of the pond structure.

Here is an older scale diagram of the rebuild I am planning. It includes the moving bed section I am thinking of going without. The TPR piping is not represented, and will run off a tee on the Bakki line.

Larger image: http://forums.vr-zone.com/photopost/...-4_chamber.jpg

Cheers,
      DF

is fat and well fed.

Feeling:
      Geeky

Maybe it might be a better idea to rebuild the whole darn thing if the CFO approves.
      Put in a gravity fed unpowered RDF like a Blue Eco instead of a pump driven sieve and increase the pond volume a bit at the same time.
      Maybe switch to a set of more energy efficient pumps to drive the Bakki.
      Electricity is really expensive in Singapore. Might use that to try convincing the CFO

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007