• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite to win GC?

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Who is your favorite to win GC?

http://niigata-nishikigoi.com/conten...grand-champion - Just wanted to spark some conversation on here and thought this article was pretty nice. If you have insider info as to other heavy hitting koi that might be entered PLEASE post pics of them (Does anyone know if Lion Queen will be entered? her facial sumi seems to be coming in more and more with each pic I see). Of coarse the prize will go to "the best-fish-on-that-day" but lets take these pictures at face value for the sake of a fun conversation.

My (1,2, and3)

-the first Kohaku is absolutely magnificent- the pattern is not all that remarkable but the conformation is so powerful and the quality is incredible. (MY #2 PICK)

-THE SANKE is my #1 here. Absolutely stunning pattern, smooth conformation, beni, sumi, and shiroji are all on point at this time, and this fish is a perfect example of what Tsubo sumi is and should be. on a personal note, I love asymmetric head patterns and she fits the bill. (MY NUMBER 1PICK) If this fish looses to another fish in this post, I feel it would be because she lacks a thicker shoulder.

Second Kohaku- Dianichi. this is a beautiful fish with an exceptional pattern. The 2 separations in the first hi plate are interesting, artistic, and balanced. The conformation to me is unnatural looking. It is impressive, but it just doesn't "look-right". Maybe it just doesn't have the head width to support the look of the body, unlike kohaku #1. The "hugeness" of this koi does not convey power to me, but a severe case of bloat.... (MY NUMBER 3 PIC)

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Number 3 is top pick for me. Number 1 is runner up. The others don't seem to compare to those two IMHO.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Number 3 is top pick for me. Number 1 is runner up. The others don't seem to compare to those two IMHO.
      Care to elaborate for the sake of discussion?

rainblood is online now Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Of the 5, I'd pick the Showa
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

abuchi123 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

#1 Kohaku, GC
      #5 Showa. Something I want swimming in my pond (after I make it large enough.)

The sanke, IMO, doesnt have enough volume and presence to even come close to winning.

koiman1950 is offline Supporting Member
      is semi retired

Feeling:
      Tired

If the Sanke had more volume, it would win easily. However, other than the Sanke, the #4 Kohaku seems to have a better "finish" to it albeit that photo was probably taken at last year's show. The fukurin is more prominently displayed and the body seem to be strong but longer. #1 has a decent body, but the overall "look" makes it appear a bit stumpy. I think the size/shape of the pecs causes this look, at least in the picture. I probably would have a totally different opinion in person at the show. You're right, it's all about the condition of the fish "on the day"!

#3, the Dainichi Kohaku, displays exactly why I don't particularly care for most Dainichi koi. When they bulk up their heads look to small for the body. Some don't display this, like the Showa from the 2007 (I believe) show.
      Mike

check out our website at: http://www.pond-life.net

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like # 5 for GC
      And # 4 runner up

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      Care to elaborate for the sake of discussion?
      Whether I am right or not is another question, but here are my thoughts....

1- Good size, but for its bulk it seems short. Pectoral fins differ in shape and the one side seems to be set back from the other a bit. The pattern leaves something to be desired as well.

2- I think the pattern is nice, but its head seems pointy and there is a nick in the left pec fin on the front edge. I do no think this one is finished and needs to grow more and the sumi to finish for it to stun. I can see it as a big contender in a year or two as long as it hasn't peaked.

3- Overall it looks like a powerhouse, good color, less of a point on the nose without being rounded like #1. Pattern is more desirable in my mind.

4- Comes across as too yellow in the head and has a single beni scale to the left side behind the gill plate that distracts from its pattern.

5- This doesn't carry as much of a presence in comparison to the others. I have started to become a bit of a fan of Showa but this seems to lack the size/girth for this competition. Much like number 2, it needs time to finish before it has a chance.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Every photo was taken with different exposure level and angle. It is impossible to compare the skin quality or the bodies. I'd say the odds of guessing the next GC right is about 20%.

Jacksparrow is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1...#5
      2...#4

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

sandthemall is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Sanke is stunning...It has everything going for it. Yes others have more volume but they have volume on top of volume. The sanke has excellent, natural looking volume and the best pattern I've seen in a long time!

Excellent Tsubo Zumi.

I also like the single strip of sumi on the left pec fin. If it was on the opposing fin, it would seem unbalanced to me.

It looks like it would be the most graceful swimmer of the bunch.
      Last edited by sandthemall; 01-20-2015 at 10:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I will be the first to admit that a thicker koi generally has more presence, but there have been historical precedences where a thinner fish has walked away with GC because of exceptional pattern and quality. The Yamatoya showa and dianichi showa had great conformation but not "big" conformation.

I really enjoy the fact that even in just the gosanke class there is so much room for debate where preference still plays a role in selection even when there is a codified system in place to tell us what is and isnt a great koi.

SO FAR WE HAVE
      2 for the sanke
      1 for kohaku #1
      1 for the dianichi kohaku
      2 for the #5 showa
      And zero for kohaku #4 but it was ranked 2nd two times.
      Last edited by inazuma28; 01-21-2015 at 12:26 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I think it is futile to try to judge the skin quality from the photos. Based on the body, I rank them 1,5,4,3,2. Depending on the fish's conditions, 1,5,or 4 will likely take the title. 3 and 2 are much longer shots.

There is also the politics. Are they going to give Momotaro the title 2 years in the row when lots of people in the industry resent the new kid.

3 and 4 have the same type of body with 4 looks to be stronger.

2's forte is its pattern. I still don't see how it can come out ahead. 5 has a higher wow factor if the judge is looking for pattern.
      Last edited by abuchi123; 01-21-2015 at 01:28 AM.

KurtG is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I like the first one, dont know that i'd even take the last four for free

azngopher is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The sanke was beaten at the Rinyukai in November by Kohaku #4, bred by Dainichi Toyota.

The finish on the sanke was incredible, simply stunning sumi and beni. While this is amazing to see, the volume is a huge issue. I spoke to the owner at the show and he knew it would be a long shot even at the Rinyukai but she was in contention the whole way.

Dainichi #3 is not in great condition. I saw her twice in the past 30 days and although the pattern was amazing and body shape was great, her skin did not look up to All Japan level. Shigeru said even though she placed well last year, this wasnt going to be her year either.

It is all going to be who looks best the day of judging. We will see soon!
      Duc
      Tri-State ZNA (https://www.facebook.com/ZNANorthAmericaDistrict)
      Dallas Koi Kichi (www.dallaskoikichi.org)
      IKONA
      No Showa Left Behind
      Friendship Through Scales
      Proud Subscriber/Supporter of Koi USA, The Official Magazine of the AKCA

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by abuchi123 View Post
      I think it is futile to try to judge the skin quality from the photos. Based on the body, I rank them 1,5,4,3,2. Depending on the fish's conditions, 1,5,or 4 will likely take the title. 3 and 2 are much longer shots.

There is also the politics. Are they going to give Momotaro the title 2 years in the row when lots of people in the industry resent the new kid.

3 and 4 have the same type of body with 4 looks to be stronger.

2's forte is its pattern. I still don't see how it can come out ahead. 5 has a higher wow factor if the judge is looking for pattern.
      I am not arguing as to who the winner would be, because that is Futile, but 2 has the competition matched or beaten in not only pattern, but quality, and finish on not 2, but three colors. It is obviously not evident from the photo, but from the videos I have seen of her show superior quality. She has been doing an incredible job of racking up awards at many, many, minor koi shows.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

THANK YOU FOR THAT VIDEO and the back story azngopher!! It goes to show you what an insufficient job a photo does of conveying quality. The fish didn't even look like a contender in the photos because of the color of the head and what appeared to be a sloppy pattern when in reality, it's a knockout.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by inazuma28 View Post
      I am not arguing as to who the winner would be, because that is Futile, but 2 has the competition matched or beaten in not only pattern, but quality, and finish on not 2, but three colors. It is obviously not evident from the photo, but from the videos I have seen of her show superior quality. She has been doing an incredible job of racking up awards at many, many, minor koi shows.
      I am not arguing which fish will be the winner either. My track record was such that I basically suck in picking fish. I gave my reasonings for my personal ranking and dug in to endure the wrath coming from people who know the subject better.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOL, it should be interesting this year as there are many more contenders than those shown and I think it is great. Some years there just aren't that many great Koi over 85cm. This year there are many and I am looking forward to seeing the results.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

sirjusteggoes is offline Senior Member
      is missing summer already

Feeling:
      Cocky

I pick
      2 1st
      5 2nd
      faint:

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007