Thread: Koromo Spawn

Steve Sibly is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Koromo Spawn

Hi All,

I'm a newbie,
      Have been trying to breed koi last few years but as a newbie its a bit challenging, when not realising how involved it can be. So no good koi yet.
      I've had a spawn go off 3 weeks ago which was a Asagi (female) and two Kohaku's one of which came from a Kin Showa. the babies are still to small to cull but would appreciate any tips on what to look for when culling
      for these Koromo's, pic's would be appreciated , Also what other variety's might be in the spawn.
      Ive kept about 5-600 in a 3000L pond and would like to know how and what is the best food to feed to get a bit of size on them quicker.
      As i don't have any Daphnia,

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

dalozt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Steve, welcone to Koiphen.. I am Davo, we met on IG. First I dont see any picture on this thread. I think from this spawn you will get many variations as what we usually get in a cross breed. I think you will have Asagi, Kohaku, Showa, Sanke, Goromo, Goshiki, Aka Matsuba and since one of your parent koi have metallic or hikari gene you will also get some metallic and semi metallic babies such as Hariwake, Kin Or Gin Matsuba, Kin Showa or Sanke, Kujaku.. and probably coupke other variety as some experiment sometimes really give you surprises. For me I feed Artemia on their second day after hatched until around 2 weeks old then I feed Daphnia until they can eat granule food but if you dont have them you could feed them fine strained boiled egg yolk and can continue with bloodworm or granule food.. the main thing is you have to keep your ammoniac very low or you will have plenty of curled gill fry or sometimes worse than that is you will lost all of your fry due to ammoniac boom.. hopefully that helps

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Davo,
      I appreciate the info an will carry out to the best of my ability, Ive never heard of artemia ? but will stick to the blood worm an boiled egg yolk thx,
      I'm a little computer illiterate so still trying to work out how to put pics up, as soon as i figure it out i will do.
      I didn't realise how many varieties come from that far out.
      Thanks for the quick feed back also.

Im enjoying looking at your ki shusui posts atm.

Goki56 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC Secretary ~ 2020 KPOTY
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Steve

Hope the thread below will be of some help to you.

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tures-Tutorial
      Gordana

Koiphen 2020 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi

Just trying to upload some pic's of mum and dads
      Attached Images Attached Images    

dalozt is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wombat is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

G'day Steve, as Davo has said you will most likely get a mixed bag of different types from this spawn. What to keep when it comes to culling depends on what type of Koi you want ( in any case I would think this first cross would be only the start of any particular variety) so you will be looking for those with the strongest trait's to those types. Koromo will come from the Kohaku as will Goshiki but you will have to watch these for a long time as they are slow to develop. For a good start in life I believe live food is essential and Daphnia are the easiest. Get hold of some and maintain a culture colony to seed your fry pond before breeding. Artemia are brine shrimp and are an excellent food for fry (I find them labour intensive and difficult to produce big enough quantities to adequately feed thousands of fry) and you can buy these frozen at different sizes from pet shops but they are not cheep. You can use commercial fry powder foods or flake foods ground to dust in a coffee grinder. Good luck and as always we like plenty of photo's

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks
      Davo / Wombat,

For the help i will try to source some Daphnia asap, and will definitely post more pic's as they grow.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi guy's

Appreciate some input on these few I've kept so farName:  IMG_1892.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  34.0 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

[attach]521594[/aName:  IMG_1874.JPG
Views: 711
Size:  49.7 KBttach]Name:  IMG_1879-2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  51.9 KBName:  IMG_1886.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  53.9 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

G'day Steve you have some solid fry there that look like they are going in the right direction. It will be interesting to compare these wit my Asagi Sanki cross as they grow . How are you feeding them and did you find any daphnia.

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
      G'day Steve you have some solid fry there that look like they are going in the right direction. It will be interesting to compare these wit my Asagi Sanki cross as they grow . How are you feeding them and did you find any daphnia.
      Hi Steve give them plenty of time for the patterns and colour to come out ,and you can increase this with = yes you have guessed Brine shrimp ,but for fry you need safe foods like Decapsulated Brine shrimp eggs ,these can be bought on a well known auction site and are best for fry development and 1 teaspoon will feed 1 million fry so a little far ,so use it a little at a time ,also for speedy growth insuforia ,home made = sweet water is best made with Bakers yeast and hay,straw, mash potato,vegetable and fruit peelings works well drip fed in round the clock .
      Attached Images Attached Images      

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Wombat / wayne1
      Sorry to say i couldn't source the Daphnia, but will continue to try, Will keep uploading Pics as they grow.
      Just so i got it right wayne do you mean Bakers yeast Straw/Hay mash potato veg or fruit peeling then mixed with water ( tap or filtered or pond water) for a few days ? then add the water from it only or some of the mixed stuff as well. Would it need to be Airated or just let go to fester ?
      Appreciate the input guys thanks very much.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

To culture infusoria I use a 2L bucket that has a large surface area. This is filled with water that has been boiled 24 hours earlier. I then add a teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate and a cup of pond water. I use either crushed cabbage leaves, rotten lettuce leaves or small cubes of potato in small quantities as the media. This is then covered with a rag and left in a cool dark place when after about ten days the water should clear and be free of any unpleasant smell indicating a heave colony of infusoria. A cup of water from this is added to subsequent containers following the same process to continue the culture. The culture fluid is strained into a plastic bottle which has a length of air tubing glued into the cap and a pin hole in the top and the drip rate controlled with a tube clamp. Infusoria along with phytoplankton (found in green water) is a microscopic food that for me is essential in successfully growing newly hatched fry and is their food source for the first 3-4 weeks.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Awesome i will defiantly do that for my next season spawn Wombat Thanks very much for that. I presume my Koi would be to large to eat microscopic Infusoria now
      Thanks again

wayne1 is offline Supporting Member
      is Old boy

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sibly View Post
      Awesome i will defiantly do that for my next season spawn Wombat Thanks very much for that. I presume my Koi would be to large to eat microscopic Infusoria now
      Thanks again
      Hi Steve & Wombat
      Well koi are plankton feeders that's why they have barbell's and a downward opening mouth to suck it up with ! we have cut this out of its diet with pellets ! ,we need to give koi a period of plankton to give them what they need to get them in their best condition !,having said all that plankton can carry some nasty plankton ! so that's why I use salt and treat the water after a period of plankton feeding and really is best done in fry rearing ponds only or breeding conditioning ponds for brood adult fish before spawning.
      also Bakers yeast also carries bad bacteria pathogens ,so I use a old method to control it by heat this is thought to be extreme but in the first two weeks I raise the temperature in my fry tanks and vats to 92f -95f this kills all bad bacteria !
      and most good I then treat the tanks with salt at 1oz per gallon Uk at 72f ,this also immunizes the fry against cold water and survival is better down to freezing point ,so also helps when placing fry outside in growing on ponds ,the high temperature's are kept for two week's only .
      then cooled down to outside temperature's in summer to 60-64f at the end of April to June this will be the biggest and best cull naturally as you will get rid of weak fry .
      When adding insuforia and seeding ponds never use adult populated water from ponds ,as this will carry pathogens and potentially parasites like trichodina and flukes ,also never use fry water for adult ponds as this can cause problems to adult fish .
      Plankton should be made in clean containers and ponds cleaned with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda ,and then flushed ,test PH and correct to 8-8.5 PH then add boiled veg and fruit peelings ,you can top up as you go in two weeks time as this rots down ,add bakers yeast every four days with light air , once clear in a sunny spot as light will help quicken the process it will stop smelling and become a sweet smell =''Sweet water '' this is insuforia at its best and seed other buckets or ponds with this and drip in daily ,and this will be good to feed to adult fish as well ,provided you don't mix any equipment from fry or adult fish ,always keep a eye on cross contamination ! this also is most important .

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Fry look like that are growing well .
      They are big enough to start looking for bent tails

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok Thanks wayne
      Its quiet involved isn't it wow, i will be try this for sure. Thanks for the Info
      Hi Delbert
      yes they are just big enough for this an i think i have most of them culled out already surprising how many had this defect.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

These are the keeper's so far from half of the Spawn, Other half at friends yet to be culled.Name:  IMG_2025.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  73.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Name:  IMG_2004.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  139.5 KBName:  IMG_2012.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  120.3 KBName:  IMG_2022-2.JPG
Views: 566