• Tired

Thread: transport koi fish, oxygen and bags

leAnn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

transport koi fish, oxygen and bags

Hello all,
      Where do I buy the plastic bags and oxygen cylinder to transport my koi fishes, what is the thickness or size for lets say 30 in fish, and where to refill the oxygen if i buy an empty cylinder? Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Oxygen set up, I got mine from a welding supply place. Had them make a filler tube attached to a regulator. That was about $90, I think, but the oxygen tank is loaned out with the oxygen and when it is empty return to them for refill. No rental by the month or anything for my setup. Bags, I get mine from ULINE.com. 3 mil 24X48 bags are available in boxes of 100, catalog number S-11003, and 4 mil, S-3983. For smaller quantities, you can probably buy some from your local koi dealer or http://pentairaes.com/live-fish-ship...ags-3-mil.html has 20X40 in quantities of 20.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

C C is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was lucky and bought my O2 tank, I take it to a local welding place and the swap it out when it's empty. I have a set of gauges on it to let me know how much I have left.

As for bags, I get them from ULine also but I use the 4mil bags doubled.

You may check with your local club, I know mine has carried bags for member to buy, saves you from buying in bulk.

Kevin the koi guy is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes EAS has them also for bags. Welding supply or scuba dive shops has the o2. If you support a pond shop they will normally give you a bag or bags because you are a regular. They may even help you with o2 also.

Good luck
      Kevin the koi guy!

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Just a side note, oxygen tanks (and other gas tanks under pressure) are very dangerous. They should be chained to a secure wall or table when in use. I have personally seen a hole knocked out of a cinderblock wall when one was knocked over, and the proper cap was not on. Scarred me for life!

LeAnn: How far a you transporting your fish, or are you selling them and shipping them? Just curious!

Those are big fish to transport!!!

Nancy

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

leAnn is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks all for your good infos. I just found some empty cylinders on Ebay, as small as 6 Cubic Feet, but I will check with local welding places on Monday.
      @ Nancy, i am selling.., I did not have any O2 if within an hr drive, but 6 hours I absolutely need to stop feeding for 2, 3 weeks and need O2.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Sounds good. I would definitely get local if you can. You never know if those tanks on eBay are good. Small nicks in the threads where the gas regulator screws on could cause a potential leak. Local, they have to have the tanks certified for use.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Mark Anderson is offline Senior Member ~ CKK in Training
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes leann be carefull buying tanks as they need to be hydrotested regularly. If they fail, junk.

AvgJoe is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

As others have said, I would just get an oxygen tank from a welding place and swap it out when empty. They seem to have the best price when I checked (as opposed to the big names that supply various gases to businesses) and the tanks are inspected and certified. The gas is under 1900-2200 psi when full. An oxygen tank explosion once ripped a hole in a Qantas airplane.

Now, if you don't need that much oxygen (I don't know how many fish you're shipping) and it's only a 1 time thing, you can get a small disposable oxygen cylinder from a hardware store in the range of $7-8. You'll need to buy the proper connector though.

Remember, too, that oxygen is flammable.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I purchased my tank (full) from Airgas and then just exchange cylinders when needed. They are all over the place and likely have a place near you.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007