• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: should i remove the gravel from my tank?

CarpCharacin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

Question should i remove the gravel from my tank?

I have a tank with 2 ranchus. Should i remove the gravel? It is kind of hard to clean. Are there any benefits of not removing the gravel?
      James

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

DieselPlower is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I prefer no substrate in my aquariums. Currently I am running a 125 gallon, 40 gallon, and 20 gallon. The substrate collects poop, which as you know, adds to the bioload of the tank. When I removed my gravel, it was a shocking mess, even though I vacuum it with a siphon. Now the poop will make it's way to my filters, which can be rinsed, removing the bioload from the system. It could be said the surface are of the rocks allows more bacteria which process ammonia and nitrite to colonize since they provide extra surface area, but I believe that is far outweighed by the extra debris that collects in there. Also I have significantly reduced my time spent cleaning the tank by removing the gravel. Some find sand to be a good replacement for gravel for those who want a substrate.

cindy is offline Administrator
      is Loving retirement

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Remove the gravel. It just catches poop and food and is a haven for
      Bugs and bacteria.

DieselPlower is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

In addition to my previous post, depending on the size of the fish and gravel, it can be a choke hazard. I have had a fish with a rock stuck in it's mouth.

Skye is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Before you remove the gravel, make sure you have a good bio-filter going. I did not when I removed the gravel and undergravel filter from my tank a year or two ago, and I lost both my fish to a sudden ammonia spike. Quite literally, one day they were fine, and the next they were dead. I tested the water and was shocked by the ammonia level. So get the bio filter up and running, and test often.

I just set up the aquarium again a few months ago, and I was careful this time to get a good bio filter going. I tested just last night, and everything is going great. I left a few handfuls of gravel on the bottom for the goldies to play around with, but other than that, the bottom is bare. I'm quite happy of the appearance without the undergravel filter and substrate.

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

I have four tanks going now. No gravel in any of them. I would not remove all of the gravel at one time. Good bacteria also live on the gravel substrate. If you were to remove all the gravel at once it could disrupt the biological cycle (the filter may not have enough good bacteria in it to process ammonia/nitrite). I would wait a couple of weeks before I clean the filter . Do not clean your filter before you remove the gravel. It is best to remove gravel a little at a time. I would remove 1/4 of the gravel every two days. Beneficial bacteria live on many surfaces including the sides of the glass . Therefore removing anything, rocks, gravel, plastic plants,or the filter media, will have some impact on the bacterial colonies.
      Try not to stir the gravel up. I would test the water for ammonia every other day for the next couple of weeks.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

CarpCharacin is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

i removed most of the gravel. There is still some left. I have 4 filters running on the tank.
      James

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007